Taita Gorge Railway

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
:blush: Meet Dodge, the new deputy Vermin Control Officer on the Taita Gorge Railway...

View attachment 205656

:cry: Alas, poor Dodge. He went walkabout two weeks ago. On the off chance yesterday, SWMBO rang around the Vet clinics....'Yes, we've got him, but...' , someone had picked him up after being run over and the clinic put him in the freezer waiting for him to be claimed. 'He was too nice to throw out, we knew someone would ask for him'. So, last night, it was burial detail. No trains ran.

Last edited:

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
That's sad Gavin, but sounds like a decent bunch at the vets - Humans.

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
That's sad Gavin, but sounds like a decent bunch at the vets - Humans.

It was the 'not knowing' that caused SWMBO much angst. We still have the 'spare' cat, called Elly (but can't decide on the correct spelling for her). When we got her, it reminded me so much of a cartoon type alley cat from American movies, so we called it Alley (Cat). Then again, we could snob her, and give a French name, Le Cat, pronounced L E.

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
DSC_0452 (2).JPG

Development of the Outback has begun. Picked up this Depot on Trade Me. The seller is renown for 'lighting' all his structures, and that was put to good use this evening. Outback theme will be 1:29 stuff.

Reactions: 1 users

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
DSC_0451 (2) - Copy.JPG

This evening's viewing pleasure.... just before 'lights on' in the depot.

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
DSC_0533 (2).JPG

Every so often, you get a new toy, ahem, fine scale model, and wonder how best to show it off.

Since all my structures come inside at night, they are ideally suitable for 'repositioning'. I tried my new station building here... I like it, so, until it is really needed 'outback', I think it will appear here during 'American' theme running.

Reactions: 1 user

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
View attachment 221275

Every so often, you get a new toy, ahem, fine scale model, and wonder how best to show it off.

Since all my structures come inside at night, they are ideally suitable for 'repositioning'. I tried my new station building here... I like it, so, until it is really needed 'outback', I think it will appear here during 'American' theme running.

Is that the Aristo model? It looks nice - I wish I'd collected the range of buildings available at the time.

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Big ex Tropical Cyclone has just passed through the country, so the Directors of the Taita Gorge Railway sent out an inspection car to check for damage, and a log rake to gather 'fire wood'. Both filed 'nil' returns.

DSC_0542 - Copy.JPG

Supposed to have been the biggest storm in 49 years, the biggest being in April 1968 that caused all sorts of havoc around here, amongst other things, caused the sinking of an Inter Island ferry (with huge loss of life).

While other parts of the country this time were affected, Windy Wellington 'dodged the bullet' as they say.

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
DSC_0551.JPG

OK, so this is a cross posting from The Coffee Lounge, but, after a while, the coffee goes cold, and gets thrown out. So here's the ANZAC Special that ran for this year's remembrance.

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
;) Red (real) box a'comming............ :cool::cool::cool:

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
;) Red (real) box a'comming............ :cool::cool::cool:

:) A box, a red box, has arrived. 12 R1 curves, almost brand new, too.

You can not have too many R1 curves, especially if it is for running Feldbahn stock. I'll be setting up temporary garden layouts, indoors, at train shows and meets.
Same seller has enticed me with further purchases, a Piko Water Tower, and LGB R1 turnout, all at the 'right price'.

The Tinker

Every day I wake up is a good day
6 Feb 2014
Whangamata New Zealand
Country
New-Zealand
Best answers
Country flag
I have 1/2 dozen r1 turnouts surplus if you need some. PM me if you need them

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
I have 1/2 dozen r1 turnouts surplus if you need some. PM me if you need them

Thanks for the interest, I've got enough for now...... (famous last words ?)

a98087

Registered
8 Nov 2009
Wiltshire
Best answers
Country flag
You can never have enough spare track, it's always hand to have a spare point or 2 in stock, in case one breaks or fancy an impromptu extension

Dan

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
You can never have enough spare track, it's always hand to have a spare point or 2 in stock, in case one breaks or fancy an impromptu extension

Dan

That's what the latest point purchase was for...... to replace the 'spare', that got used on an extension. :)

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
:mad: Now I know why I never went whole hog on battery power. Went to charge the battery, and the charger light wouldn't change to charging. Either the charger was crook, or the battery was stuffed. Turns out it was the latter. Battery replaced, back in business.

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
:wait: One of the more euphonious sayings, that rolls off the tongue easily, and often, here in the Colonies (and no doubt in the rest of the civilized world) is ' A dozen Beer'

DSC_0567.JPG

That last car arrived yesterday. Photo looks a bit fuzzy, but I assure you, in the original, you can read the reporting marks all the way back to at least the third car. :party:

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
DSC_0589 - Copy.JPG

Proof of concept.....

Portable garden railway, will have grey outdoor carpet as a base, with a bit of bark chip scattered around, and a few small pot plants etc.

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
:mad: The Photobucket fiasco has caught me, rather, this thread. First 17 pages are dud. Shortly, I will post a 'selection' of shots that date from my entry into the digital world (of photography).

DSCF0174.JPG

DSCF0127.JPG

DSCF0140.JPG

Last edited: