Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Singing in the rain........ :party:

DSC_0378.JPG

Today is the Taita Gorge Railway's 17th birthday, and for the first time, it has rained on the parade. So, just a quick snap of recently repowered Bertha (O&K 1411) taken today.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
HB Taita Gorge!
:party::party::party:

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Singing in the rain........ :party:

View attachment 218045

Today is the Taita Gorge Railway's 17th birthday, and for the first time, it has rained on the parade. So, just a quick snap of recently repowered Bertha (O&K 1411) taken today.

The old saying 'a photo never lies' is rather apt here. I just didn't have enough dry time to 'manicure (as my wife says)' the railway, hence the weeds and leaves, which makes for a picture I wouldn't ordinarily publish.... but, I have seen to that.

Chris Vernell

Tortoise
24 Oct 2009
Nepean, ON
Country
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
The old saying 'a photo never lies' is rather apt here. I just didn't have enough dry time to 'manicure (as my wife says)' the railway, hence the weeds and leaves, which makes for a picture I wouldn't ordinarily publish.... but, I have seen to that.
"Warts and all," as O. Cromwell is reputed to have said. I greatly enjoy your pix.

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Given that somewhere in the world, when this photo was taken, it was still New Years Day, and over here it was dry enough to lay on the lawn and take snaps, then this is the 'Official' 2017 birthday photo for the Taita Gorge Railway.

DSC_0380 - Copy.JPG

Reactions: 1 user

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Down the garden path. Quietly munching over a BBQ lunch, and relaxing with a cold beer, I glanced over at the railway..... that would make a fine 'never before seen' shot. So, I cranked up the camera.

DSC_0382 - Copy.JPG

Reactions: 3 users

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
First Class treatment for VIP passengers, due next weekend......

View attachment 218166

...the 'platform' has been resurfaced.

Other recent changes, an Aristo bumper block has been added to 'save' the station building, and the Guard/Conductor has been promoted from the log train to passenger duty.

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
First Class treatment for VIP passengers, due next weekend......

View attachment 218166

...the 'platform' has been resurfaced.

Other recent changes, an Aristo bumper block has been added to 'save' the station building, and the Guard/Conductor has been promoted from the log train to passenger duty.

I guess there were uploading problems Gavin - it was taking minutes to upload or change from one post to another!

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
I guess there were uploading problems Gavin - it was taking minutes to upload or change from one post to another!

Ah, we had just had a scheduled power cut (which I'd forgotten about).

I had my Critter running on battery power (still going after 7 hours as we speak), and my wife asked how come the train was still going, yet she couldn't cook my dinner. Just then a diesel train went past our back fence...... 'same reason that one is running, it's not on electricity'. She'd just about bought that explanation, as an EMU powered past.

JRinTawa

Member of the Wellington Garden Railway Group
25 Oct 2009
Tawa
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
I've deleted the duplicate posts for you Gav. Looking forward to the WGRG running day at your next weekend. :clap:

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
I've deleted the duplicate posts for you Gav. Looking forward to the WGRG running day at your next weekend. :clap:

Thanks. Wasn't game enough to try to delete each extra post individually in case one deletion got rid of all three accidental postings...... or, is that actually the way to dispose of extraneous matter?

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
DSC_0394 (2).JPG

First, the arty shot

DSC_0395.JPG

..... and, the 'sunset' shot of Bertha out giving the coupler modified Feldbahn Ore wagons a spin.

Reactions: 1 users

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Both the shots are fantastic, and just what us brits like to see during the miserable gloomy winter

Dan

Hmm.... so I'd better keep posting all year round then. :angel:

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
DSC_0397.JPG

The 4 Square Store has had a bit of a makeover. Roof tarted up and 'new' signwriting.

Reactions: 4 users

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Cross posting from Coffee Lounge (because that is supposed to disappear in due time)....

DSC_0398 - Copy.JPG

Ultimately, I want to actually provide a purpose for the tunnel... so that it is actually a functioning tunnel, rather than a store front display entrance to the train shed. Meantime, it is an improvement on just the portal that has been there for a few years now..... I stacked some bricks behind it, and added a 'roof', looks OK I think. I'm more disposed to stacking rocks to provide contours, rather than doing a 'hardshell' cement formation, that, to my mind, would look just too artificial.

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
DSC_0406 - Copy.JPG

Magic tunnel it is too......note how the loco has changed colour. :lipssealed:

Reactions: 7 users

Melbournesparks

Registered
30 Sep 2015
City of Eltham
Best answers
Country flag
View attachment 218712

Magic tunnel it is too......note how the loco has changed colour. :lipssealed:

I like those little O&K locos!

I saw a model railway at an exhibition once which had a tunnel that changed the scale of the train. It went in N scale and came out HO! It was very clever and worked well, with the HO scale yard scene then N scale vast open countryside...

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
They came, they saw, and they drank my beer (and they liked it, too).

DSC_0437.JPG

19 Austrailians on a post Convention tour of the real NZ, which happened to include chez moi (and Railway). They are flanked by Brian C, who was their tour guide, and myself, host for the latter part of their afternoon.

Reactions: 1 users

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
They came, they saw, and they drank my beer (and they liked it, too).

View attachment 219531

19 Austrailians on a post Convention tour of the real NZ, which happened to include chez moi (and Railway). They are flanked by Brian C, who was their tour guide, and myself, host for the latter part of their afternoon.

Forgot to ask, any Forum members in that lot ?