Roll-wagen project

Trainman

All narrow gauge and industrial railways,
26 Oct 2009
Auckland
Best answers
Re:Roll-wagen project - wheel sizes??? HELP NEEDED!!

James and all.
Are these any use to you for your project. We are investigating the same project and are looking into resin casting the large bit possibly. We are just at the beginning stages of the project.

jameshilton

Registered
22 Nov 2010
Near Llangollen, United Kingdom
ejklr.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Re:Roll-wagen project

Henrik - thanks for sharing, i've not got photos of the 3 axle bogied version used by the OBB so it's useful, plus gives more detail of the brake gear than the other drawings I have - which will be useful when I come to adding that to this wagon :)

Good luck with your project too :D

Trainman

26 Oct 2009
Auckland
Best answers

James,

Have you also thought of getting hold of a Liliput model of the rollwagen as a source of details- albeit in HOe. At least you have a reference peice for detailing. I had some when I modelled HOe and they were beauties.

Henrik

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers

Very interesting thread. Keep the pictures coming as you progress.

jameshilton

Registered
22 Nov 2010
ejklr.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
No actual progress on the build but I've sketched up the bogie mounting in my head - the need for a stable mounting is more important than free moving in some ways - so I hope to make a start on that soon.

In the meantime I've collected a pair of R1 curves whilst I was back at my parents - and low and behold...

74c81c4cb32e4075baa1fc55d036bf87.jpg

...it fits! Just! So that goes to show that the 'proof of concept' sketches I did on Adobe Illustrator, to scale, before starting (which showed the same) were worthwhile. I'm really pleased! :)

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag

jameshilton said:
No actual progress on the build but I've sketched up the bogie mounting in my head - the need for a stable mounting is more important than free moving in some ways - so I hope to make a start on that soon.

In the meantime I've collected a pair of R1 curves whilst I was back at my parents - and low and behold...

images

...it fits! Just! So that goes to show that the 'proof of concept' sketches I did on Adobe Illustrator, to scale, before starting (which showed the same) were worthwhile. I'm really pleased! :)
Don't you just love it when it works they way you planned it to.

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers

I need to learn from how thorough you are!

jameshilton

Registered
22 Nov 2010
ejklr.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
More progress tonight... I fitted the bogies!
These are very simply mounted - and I used black plasticard as it means I don't need to paint the bearing surfaces at a later date. It's all 3mm plasticard with 5mm tube used for the spigot - very simple. When I've finished the painting I'll fix them on permanently by glueing a disc to the bottom of the spigot.

3b27a05e9e0847d69d5e992f2a2512fb.jpg

c7f0741dff704d7ebface959d01298bf.jpg

The moment of truth and it runs freely, easily, in and out of the R1 curve (with only a tiny sound of wheel rub as predicted - which is fine as I planned for R2) and is pretty steady, no wobble at all. Phew!

3d6e6cba18f440c8bf7832d08bc850a4.jpg

7ecf64cb0d53494ea40bec72622ab575.jpg

Even better - when measuring the height above rail it's absolutely bob on the plan too - I love it when it all comes together - as these dimensions were important to me. This now means that it's of scale length and scale height above rail :)

9fc06cab7e8a4368a0278fb4d942b148.jpg

Next up is to work out how to do the coupling bar thing - I need to source some fairly robust 5mm tube, either plasticard or brass I suspect. Any ideas of a cheap source other than a modelling supplier?

jameshilton

Registered
22 Nov 2010
ejklr.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
I've looked on Eileens, it's actually not too pricey. I need about 40cm I think (4x 10cm) but I need to do some more sketching to work out how to mount it on an LGB coupler so it stays central, or hook it over the buffer, and then the right length to ensure it (or it's load) doesn't foul any part of the adjacent stock.

Tony

Model railways
28 Feb 2010
East coast Essex
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Next up is to work out how to do the coupling bar thing - I need to source some fairly robust 5mm tube, either plasticard or brass I suspect. Any ideas of a cheap source other than a modelling supplier?

James im rubbish at mesurements but i have quite lot of brass rod and tube in foot lengths the thickest being the same as the inner ink tube bit of a biro which is quite unflexible down to a sort of wire thickness of a 13amp flex type core which is very springy how many do you want and il get them in the post
i think the tube would be fine
Tony

Trainman

26 Oct 2009
Auckland
Best answers
James,

My thought for the coupling is to use a LBG link and pin coupler on the wagons. They are here and already made. All that needs adapting is the brass diggle then. Just a thought- but then you are already miles ahead on this project and probably our thoughts! :):)

jameshilton

Registered
22 Nov 2010
ejklr.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Steve - yes I'd seen those wonderful links made by Magnus (and others) - more than I've spent on the whole wagon to date, but enough inspiration there to help with mine :)

Henrik - I had wondered the same, but I think the mounting housing is too large so I'll scratchbuild my own from plastic. That end I'm quite happy with actually, it's the end that needs to link up to the LGB coupling/buffer on the rear of the train that I'm more concerned about at the moment. Sketchbook at the ready I'll put up my thoughts later.

Tony - thank you for the kind offer - I'll drop you a message. It might not be perfect for the coupling bars but there are plenty of other pipe runs on the wagon I need some wire for :)

jameshilton

Registered
22 Nov 2010
ejklr.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
A little bit of progress to report but no photos yet...
I've been working on the link bar design - I find sketching ideas out on a note pad, a skill I learnt back at A-level design - really useful. I've gone for 5mm brass tube from Eileen's Emporium - this will have at one end an circular hole to take a pin, and then Roll-wagen will have two 120thou plasticard mountings that the bar slips between and is pinned into...

At the second end, the one that attaches to the other stock, I've gone for a sort of clip. It's going to be made from brass (0.5mm thick 5mm strip is my starting point) and will clip over the buffer. This will make it easy to fit and allow it to be pushed or pulled - and also no modification to the wagon. This also makes it look more prototypical, as in the prototype it would go through a hole in the centre of the buffer for this link and pin arrangement.

I hope to make a start on it this week.

I've also started looking at detailing the bogies with brake shoes and fake spring detail - and adding some brake cylinders and pipe runs to the chassis - this needs working out properly but I've got firm ideas on what to use for the various parts, just need to work out how they work in reality so it sort of makes sense on the model.

In other news - Mike (dutchelm) has helped out (again) with supplying some parts for the steel bodied brake van - a chassis and a roof mainly. I already have the glazing for this, and have ordered the last of the plasticard I need to do the bodywork. That will start when the Roll-wagen is finished :)

jameshilton

Registered
22 Nov 2010
ejklr.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
I've made some progress with the coupling bar - my order from Eileen's Emporium arrived earlier this week so I've dug out the metal working tools (files, vice and soldering iron) to come up with this solution.

It clips over the buffer of an LGB wagon, and pivots and both ends. It's fabricated from 5mm diameter tube and 5x0.5mm bar and I'm pretty pleased with how neat it is. To finish it off I added to 'handles' as per the prototype from 0.9mm brass wire.

9eecfc27af924cf484d944140007614a.jpg

Next up - the brake system.

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
inspiring as ever! keep us informed...

Trainman

26 Oct 2009
Auckland
Best answers