What's it all about?

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Actually, I already had N, HO, & S habits. Now “G” !?!
Yes, over here we don't understand the 'S' habit quite so well - it's only a small, niche sector with no R-T-R models :think::think:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, over here we don't understand the 'S' habit quite so well - it's only a small, niche sector with no R-T-R models :think::think:
S is one of the very few scales/gauges that uses an imperial scale at 1:64. Thus all the standards tend to be measured in imperial though I believe there is a metric track gauge 21mm? Membership of the society would appear compulsary as there are many products available to help as listed in the site below. Larger than 00 but smaller than 0 it has the possibility to be a perfect scale but has remained a niche one.

Stan King

Registered
16 Jan 2024
Newport Beach CA USA
Best answers
Country flag
S is one of the very few scales/gauges that uses an imperial scale at 1:64. Thus all the standards tend to be measured in imperial though I believe there is a metric track gauge 21mm? Membership of the society would appear compulsary as there are many products available to help as listed in the site below. Larger than 00 but smaller than 0 it has the possibility to be a perfect scale but has remained a niche one.
In fact, my S gauge began in the 1950s with an American Flyer…

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Larger than 00 but smaller than 0 it has the possibility to be a perfect scale but has remained a niche one.
Surely the perfect scale is the one you like working with?

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Surely the perfect scale is the one you like working with?
Maybe maybe not, I think many of us make compromises and scale together with space are 2 of the big ones. If one has a little more space and wants something better than 00 but no space for 0 then S fits that niche nicely.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the most unusual forum in the world. Unusual for the lack of rivet counters that frequent here. That’s what makes it so wonderful. :h:
Cheers
Martin
I think it could be quite difficult being a rivet counter in G scale :p:p

AustrianNG

Director of my railway
16 Sep 2015
Wirral
Best answers
Country flag
I started with an LGB starter set too. I bought another four starter sets along the way. Now 19 years later…..

IMG_4456.jpeg

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Reactions: 1 user

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
24 and counting :D:D:D
When I started LGB were advertising sets at a ridiculously low price celebrating 30 years of LGB. I tried to buy one but everyone was sold out but they would contact me if anymore were made. About a month later I had 3 phone calls from 3 dealers saying more had arrived. I said yes 3 times & finished up with 3 Stainz locos, 3 controllers 18 wagons & a lot of track. I still have most of it now. The locos are used for track cleaning & most of the wagons have new bodies.

Reactions: 1 user

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
When I started LGB were advertising sets at a ridiculously low price celebrating 30 years of LGB. I tried to buy one but everyone was sold out but they would contact me if anymore were made. About a month later I had 3 phone calls from 3 dealers saying more had arrived. I said yes 3 times & finished up with 3 Stainz locos, 3 controllers 18 wagons & a lot of track. I still have most of it now. The locos are used for track cleaning & most of the wagons have new bodies.
I've always avoided the temptation of stainz on the carpet :emo::emo:

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
I've always avoided the temptation of stainz on the carpet :emo::emo:
If you run a Stainz on the carpet you will get stains on the carpet, long black ones.

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Is the 30th anniversary set the one with the #3 stainz (this engine does not have the power socket on the rear or smoke) and 4 small cars with the 6 pieces of straight track? that i the first set I got in this hobby and wow, how it can grow. The set engine of mine now has DCC and smoke and rear socket powered to enable sound cars to be attached to the engine to get power.

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
Is the 30th anniversary set the one with the #3 stainz (this engine does not have the power socket on the rear or smoke) and 4 small cars with the 6 pieces of straight track? that i the first set I got in this hobby and wow, how it can grow. The set engine of mine now has DCC and smoke and rear socket powered to enable sound cars to be attached to the engine to get power.
Yes, that's the one. They were about £80 each, the best bargain LGB ever did. Most of the bits are still giving good service.

Stan King

Registered
16 Jan 2024
Newport Beach CA USA
Best answers
Country flag
That’ my starter set alright. I’m trying to resist investing in DCC…

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
You are brave with brass track and running on a plain light-coloured carpet.

Don't ask how I know!

PhilP