What's it all about?

Stan King

Registered
16 Jan 2024
Newport Beach CA USA
Best answers
Country flag
Just joined to see what G scale is all about. Have collected a 30yr anniversary LGB set, extra track , and an LGB track work engine. Been contemplating how to create an outdoor laypout in my yard, or a wall mounted indoor setup. Seems I'll find a lot of useful hints here. Cheers! -Stan King, SoCal USA

Reactions: 1 users

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome Stan to our wonderful world! Besides info, there's lots of humour too. Oh - and we like pictures also!

Reactions: 1 user

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome Stan, a read through some of the posts will give you lots of inspiration, a lot of very different approaches to achieve the same ends, that is to enjoy what you do. The humour though, well it can be pretty dire at times

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum Stan....

brokenwing

Registered
21 Oct 2011
Best answers
Country flag
Just joined to see what G scale is all about. Have collected a 30yr anniversary LGB set, extra track , and an LGB track work engine. Been contemplating how to create an outdoor laypout in my yard, or a wall mounted indoor setup. Seems I'll find a lot of useful hints here. Cheers! -Stan King, SoCal USA
Welcome aboard Stan,
It's a great site everyone has opinions but nobodys right and nobodys wrong. ( although people may disagree). This hobby can be as complex or simple as you wish. The main thing is that it's your hobby so enjoy it whatever you do.
Chhers David

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Stan welcome, as mentioned there is a lot of humour, but some of it is dire, so beware, also please post photos as you move along your G Scale journey, we do like to see your progress.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum Stan, have a look at my links below to see my outdated vid of my line and my build spelt in blue text.

Best advice I can give is to think a little while on what you want and how products may fit to that requirement. UK, US, European, Narrow Gauge, Standard Gauge and also what line. Thinking through some of these options can help you save lots of $ on expensive Locomotives or Coaches that eventually will not fit in with your theme if you have one.

Of course many would say just buy what you like and run it, nothing wrong with that. I did a lot of that before I settled down on a Harz East German Metre gauge theme, once that was decided it focused my mind on products, jumping for joy when something unexpected (Train-line45 Mallets for example) popped up on the market.

Good luck with your journey, not sure what your 30th anniversary set will have in it, but if a Stainz it and possibly the stock can always be modified to maybe fit in with a future theme if you have the ability.

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the madness

Mohawk Valley

Registered
11 Feb 2023
Coventry UK
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the most unusual forum in the world. Unusual for the lack of rivet counters that frequent here. That’s what makes it so wonderful. :h:
Cheers
Martin

korm kormsen

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Country
Paraguay
Best answers
Country flag
Unusual for the lack of rivet counters that frequent here.
i, for my part always count rivets: "one, two, many..."

now i'm not sure about spelling. maybe, it shoud be: "one too many..."

• Haha

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
If there's lots of unrelated stuff you like, then you can always say your layout represents a working museum.

Last edited:

Northsider

Modelling the Northern half of the Isle of Man
3 May 2012
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome: get something running, even a circle in the backyard/garden, or a piece of straight line on a shelf indoors. There's no better motivator than just playing trains!

brokenwing

Registered
21 Oct 2011
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the most unusual forum in the world. Unusual for the lack of rivet counters that frequent here. That’s what makes it so wonderful. :h:
Cheers
Martin
Rivet, Rivet. Sorry Frog in my throat. As already said weird people , weird sense of humour but I like to think people with a generous nature that will be more than willing to help you

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
OK - I can empathise with weird, funny, but of course, I don't do any of those things :tmi::tmi:

But yes, get a bit of temporary track down, start playing and ...................... it's a bit like your first computer, you learn all the mistakes along the way.

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
What it is all about is building a railway to suit you and then escaping into your own little world for a couple of hours and forgetting all about everything else.
The rule to always abide by is "Its my railway and will do what I want" after weighing up the options and taking the advice given when questions are asked, remembering that the only stupid question is the one that is not asked.
In a nutshell enjoy yourself.
A word of warning though model railroading is a disease that once caught cannot be cured. :devil::devil::devil::devil:

Stan King

Registered
16 Jan 2024
Newport Beach CA USA
Best answers
Country flag
What it is all about is building a railway to suit you and then escaping into your own little world for a couple of hours and forgetting all about everything else.
The rule to always abide by is "Its my railway and will do what I want" after weighing up the options and taking the advice given when questions are asked, remembering that the only stupid question is the one that is not asked.
In a nutshell enjoy yourself.
A word of warning though model railroading is a disease that once caught cannot be cured. :devil::devil::devil::devil:
Actually, I already had N, HO, & S habits. Now “G” !?!