"Trees" for my tramway

tramcar trev

all manner of mechanical apparatus...
22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
trevs-tramway.blogspot.com
Best answers
I discussed quite some time ago how I was going to plant trees. I’m dog sitting my Son’s Lab, he forced my hand, the Dog not my son, by ripping up the trees I had in open ground awaiting transplanting in the spring… Ah well I’ve fixed it now, the trees are looking great. I hope my midsummer transplants will survive, the dog may not….

To do the job I developed a couple of SST’s (special service tools - see details here;http://www.gscalecentral.net/general-g-scale/home-made-dremel-circle-cutter/msg304069/#msg304069 ) necessary to cut the holes in the base board, the grass had to be cut 5mm wider all round than the hole for the pot to allow the rims to sit down so the grass can hide the edge. This was a test for the cordless Dremel and carbide tile cutting bit but it did the job with my complete satisfaction and the pots slipped into their holes nicely. A simple jig (easily adjusted to cope with any sized pot) assisted in shaping the massive convict hewn sandstone blocks so that they would fit around the pot rim, they are held in place using 2 part superglue that actually does bond with the plastic pot. The plan is that the pots and the roots are underneath and hopefully will be protected from the extremes of weather.

So I have a shade tree in the park (I can see Captain Mainwaring leading his Platoon in a rousing chorus of ‘Underneath the spreading Chestnut tree’ with Private Godfrey leading the “Happy Actions”). It’s actually a miniature Diosma, tough as old boots, it was twice this height so I pruned of half of the top of it and also half the roots (in strict accordance with Bonsai first principles – prune the roots and prune the shoots).

The Lemon Scented Conifer is also extremely hardy (and slower growing) but does like to be kept moist. It has been planted so as to be adjacent to the bandstand and can be pressed into service as an Xmas tree as appropriate.

The other tree is a Cypress it also had a bit of a prune and is also as tough as…

My “Lone Pine” which is a real “Grand child” of the real Lone Pine.  Lance Corporal Benjamin Smith from the 3rd Battalion retrieved a cone from the battle site and sent it back to his mother (Mrs. McMullen) in Australia, who had lost another son at the battle. Seeds from the cone were planted by Mrs. McMullen in 1928, from which two seedlings were raised. One was presented to her home town of Inverell, New South Wales and the other was forwarded to Canberra where it was planted by Prince Henry, Duke of Gloucester at the Australian War Memorial (AWM) in October 1934. The AWM lone pine lost two of its large lower limbs from strong winds preceding a thunderstorm on 27 December 2008, although tree surgeons were brought in to save the historic tree. This tree is my tree’s father. You could say its “By Appointment”. It’s at its “correct scale” height (though it will have to flesh out a bit) and will be given the “Bonsai Treatment” in spring. I’m still battling the bureaucracy over the use of the “Rising Sun” on the commemorative plaque to be installed at its base. Their main concern is that they think that the LVS&ET may some how make a profit out of the tree – I wish…. I’ll wait till the new GG takes office and seek his permission.

I’m thinking about growing some real hedges, though as yet a plant suitable has to be sourced, it needs to be a very small creeper with teensy leaves that will handle Canberra’s weather. I’d also have to custom make some pots.

The advantage of planting this way is that I have created a modular system; my “trees” can be moved or changed easily. It’s simply a matter of disconnecting their sprinklers and lifting them out of their holes.

I dressed the tops of the pots with very fine gravel of similar tone to the surrounds; the little black knobs that can be seen are the “sprinklers” for the tree.

Overall a very pleasing result… Some park benches enhance the effect.

DSCF1172_321x428.JPG
The sandstone cutting jig

DSCF1151_428x321.JPG
Cutting away the grass

The first tree "planted"

DSCF1162_428x321.JPG
Looking south east

DSCF1166_321x428.JPG
Looking North west

DSCF1170_428x321.JPG

I can envisage  kids climbing in that tree.

Attachments

• DSCF1158_428x321.JPG
    DSCF1158_428x321.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 21
  • DSCF1156_428x321.JPG
    DSCF1156_428x321.JPG
    38 KB · Views: 82

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Re:

They look very good indeed, ideal for passengers to sit in the shade while waiting for the next tram.

DoctorM

Interests: Manifold
2 Jan 2011
SE London
Best answers
Country flag
Re:

tramcar trev said:
Marching; http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Silent-Soldiers-Figurine-War-Marching-On-A-Special-Gift-NIB-/281060763479?pt=AU_Militaria&hash=item417086e757&_uhb=1#ht_1490wt_1097
all to tall...
Many 1:35 which would be ok on a granite plinth... I'll check out my local wargamers shop...

I like the idea of a memorial but...

is that how ANZACs marched in WWI?

Looks a really uncomfortable way to hold a rifle, and over the right shoulder?

mTF6JyTS22JDmUyImGK_rMQ.jpg

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Re:

Box are slow-growing, and take pruning to shape well..
See the fancy gardens of stately piles around the world for ideas!

Cotoneaster.. book of week on Radio 4 has been Germaine Greer, so have picked-up a little on 'alien' species a little.. It can grow a little weed-like in the UK!!

If you insulate the pots.. Will you be able to remove them again? - Thinking spray foam e-x-p-a-n-d-s .. ;)
Perhaps lift them out to a less exposed area of the garden for the worst of the winter?

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Re:

Trev

Have you looked at lonicera nitida or lonicera ophelie? A bit like box only with smaller leaves. They can be pruned to look quite tree-like and they're dead easy to propagate. I've also been really impressed with miniature rhododendrons which are a lot more slow growing and have delicate bell shaped flowers briefly in late spring.

Rik

DoctorM

2 Jan 2011
SE London
Best answers
Country flag
Re:

PhilP said:
Cotoneaster..

I've seen Cotoneaster pruned in such a way that the berries look as if they are G-scale red apples.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Re:

DoctorM said:
I've seen Cotoneaster pruned in such a way that the berries look as if they are G-scale red apples.

Don't tell the 'Elf* and Safety' police!

*small-scale railway division..
:happy:

tramcar trev

22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
Best answers
Re:

DoctorM said:
I like the idea of a memorial but...

is that how ANZACs marched in WWI?

Looks a really uncomfortable way to hold a rifle, and over the right shoulder?

Yes.... its a 303 bolt action repeater. For technical reasons had to be carried this way, ask your local RSM he'll give you the drill. Of course we Aussies we still under the "command" of the poms at this time so we had to do as we were told. It gets worse, in the stinging heat our troops were running around in heavy serge uniforms.

tramcar trev

22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
Best answers
Re:

PhilP said:
Box are slow-growing, and take pruning to shape well..
See the fancy gardens of stately piles around the world for ideas!

Cotoneaster.. book of week on Radio 4 has been Germaine Greer, so have picked-up a little on 'alien' species a little.. It can grow a little weed-like in the UK!!

If you insulate the pots.. Will you be able to remove them again? - Thinking spray foam e-x-p-a-n-d-s .. ;)
Perhaps lift them out to a less exposed area of the garden for the worst of the winter?
I'm thinking that a shade cloth shelter may be the go in winter, have to work on that. Yep spray on foam would be a good insulator but would also prevent the pots being removed, I'm thinking that a bigger pot slipped over the smaller pot from underneath wrapped in insulation might be an idea.

tramcar trev

22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
Best answers
Re:

ge_rik said:
Trev

Have you looked at lonicera nitida or lonicera ophelie? A bit like box only with smaller leaves.
Rik
No but I will check them out. The Diosma will (well maybe) covered in very small pink flowers in late winter - spring.

tramcar trev

22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
Best answers
Re:

DoctorM said:
So have I. Getting hold of a Cotoneaster is the problem, I think they are a declared weed Australia wide. Useless trying to import one, it would never get thru customs... The older suburbs of Canberra used to have miles of Cotoneaster hedges they have all disappeared....

tramcar trev

22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
Best answers
Re: \

Ha Haaaa I've located some seeds that I may be able to sneak thru customs if they are correctly labled or I can buy plants in Victoria but they wont post them to the ACT....

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Cotoneaster-Integerrimus-Common-Cotoneaster-Seeds-40-Seeds-Per-Gram-/221153633522?pt=UK_HomeGarden_Garden_PlantsSeedsBulbs_JN&var&hash=item337dc8a4f2&_uhb=1

garrymartin

My Family,Railways, Beer and the Seaside
30 Oct 2009
Now Derbyshire !
Best answers
Country flag
They occasionally stock dwarf conifers in Morrisons Supermarkets in the UK for about £1.49 a pop, that come in several shapes such as tall thin or globular,  the next time I see some I shall try and note their names and pass them on.

Attachments

• 76ce6a4cad284d16a4a1f21a70cba3bc.jpg
    76ce6a4cad284d16a4a1f21a70cba3bc.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 22

DoctorM

2 Jan 2011
SE London
Best answers
Country flag
Re:

tramcar trev said:
Yes.... its a 303 bolt action repeater. For technical reasons had to be carried this way, ask your local RSM he'll give you the drill. Of course we Aussies we still under the "command" of the poms at this time so we had to do as we were told. It gets worse, in the stinging heat our troops were running around in heavy serge uniforms.

I normally take your word as gospel Trev, but I have to take issue with you on this one!

The 303 bolt action repeater used by the AIF was the SMLE No.1. I worked in my school armoury that had hundreds of them.
The rifle depicted in the bronze statuette has a few inches of bare barrel at the sharp end, and looks much more like a US Springfield.

I wonder if the statuette was copied from a US one, and modified to feature a slouch hat. The Americans drive on the right and slope arms on the right. They also hold their rifles with the narrow base resting on their collar bone, unlike British and Commonwealth (& Empire!) troops who marched at the slope with their SMLEs with the wider side on their shoulder, which is much more comfortable (I talk from experience).

The reason the left brim of the Hat KFF is turned up was to accommodate a rifle on the left shoulder, not just to display the rising sun badge.

The following picture shows two different armies marching through London, and the difference in arms drill. (It also shows the Americans out of step with their flag bearers).

aifus.png

tramcar trev

22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
Best answers
Haaa you caught me out!!! Bumma... As Rob Brydon would say "would I lie to you"... Yes the statue is a fake...But why did you have to ruin what was going to be a great scam? I still want a WWI digger for the LVS&ET soldiers memorial so I froned up at the font of Authenitc figurines, the Australian War Memorial. They were selling a similar figurine, I didn`t pick up on the model of rifle but it is all wrong, its an American Uniform that someone has put a slouch hat on and sold them off. I said to the young girl at the gift shop that the rifle was on the wrong side, she gave me a stare... I left... Next time I looked there was this little fellow on sale.

BILLY_1.jpg

DoctorM

2 Jan 2011
SE London
Best answers
Country flag

Now that is a much better pose for a War Memorial! :)

tramcar trev

22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
Best answers

Yes, but he is no good for my purposes at 35.5 cm tall.... Cold bronze (or any metal) casting is simply resin that has a high concentration of metal dust as a filler, when the object is taken from the mould it is "burnished" to give the impression of being solid metal.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Trev,
Going back to Post #17 as promised, finally here are some of my Bonsai`s. Pics are a bit old but they are still alive, but in need of some TLC after a complete year of neglect.

Type of plants in order of Pics:-

Cotoneasta x 2  not sure, and Lonicera

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

JonD

tramcar trev

22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
Best answers

Very nice! I had a go at Bonsai years ago, now its just going to be in plastic pots, I guess though there is no reason why I cant wire the branches to get them where I want them.

I have sort of solved my cotoneaster problem. I bought some seed on eBay.... They are a declared weed in the ACT so I'll be running the risk of the local thought police raiding the tramway and confiscating my "trees". The lengths they went to to eliminate Cotoneaster and willows was incredible.... The stupid thing is that in surrounding NSW they are not weeds...

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag

Trev,
Those 2 Cotoneasters were brought up from little ones that had been pooped by birds in the Garden. It appears that the seeds do very well in Bird Dung. That is probably why your Council Wonks are so against them. I did have one that looked very Apple Tree ish when the Berries were in full Red Fruit Perhaps a solution for you may be to remove all the Berries before the Birds get to them. Would not want the Plant Police dragging you away!

The great thing about Cotoneasters is that they are so pliable. I have not used Wire on any of these. Just bent, twisted and otherwise cajoled them where I wanted them. The leaning one was just planted that way with a Rock to keep it bent over for a while. Good luck with your plants.
JonD