"Trees" for my tramway

tramcar trev

all manner of mechanical apparatus...
22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
trevs-tramway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Ok can I bounce this idea of the Gardeners?
I'm going to use real plants grown in pots. "Drill" (for want of a better word, with an adjustable hole cutter) holes large enough to fit the pot in through the HARDIE PLANK base and let the pot rest on the rim. The Hardie Plank is held up by timber supports and then from underneath drill a small hole in the pot and fit a dripper to it controlled by one of those lawn sprinkler controllers. Summers here are hot and dry, winters very frosty so I'm going to use some miniature Cypress as my trees. I'm going to try and "Bonsai" them in the pots...

The visible edges of the pots would have glued on stone paving to create an obvious area around the tree, a few park benches under the tree should complete the illusion when "sunk" into the fake grass. The layout just begs some foliage...

501efb57ba2a4c2ab8411c5b226a31ef.jpg
0cf12d774f34463fac16bef6c5892345.jpg
d77868ef082f43c0a692699b8a14d012.jpg

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Good idea Trev - particularly the idea of making the pots look like walled raised beds. Keeping them in small pots also stunts their growth - I leave them in their pots in the garden (railway) - although once the tap root escapes the pot's drain hole they do grow a little faster. You'll be able to trim any errant roots of course.

Nodrog1826

Professional Idiot
21 Nov 2013
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
A couple of things spring to mind, with the size of the tree and the pot.

I am assuming you are planning to use a teracotta or a thick walled plastic pot.
Just wondering if (depending upon the size) if they will need support from the underside to prevent warping of the deck.
I am assuming that the Hardi Plank is a plastic of some sort as a google search tends to suggest.....
There is also the potential for seepage from the pot to the body of the railway, just wondering if this may have an effect on the way
you have laid the "grass" and other scenic items.

StephH

7/8ths and 1/12th modeling in Railways and Birdwat
24 Oct 2009
Derbyshire
gardenrailway.webs.com
Best answers
Country flag
One thing to make provision for if you are going down this route is how you will water them? The pots will dry out very fast... just like hanging baskets or patio planters... I have pots sunk in the ground and ones above, and the ones in the ground dry out but not as fast as the ones above the soil! As the last poster suggested water might seep or overflow onto all that lovely scenic work, especially if a watering can is used? I wonder if a way of "drip-feeding" water to the pots in some way might be the best method?
Love the idea of turning the pots into raised beds with seats, that will look just right!

Steph'

whiskey

Registered
7 Nov 2009
Franconia, Virginia USA
Best answers
That is awesome. I can't wait to see more photos of your progress!

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
You can reduce drying out if you put plenty of insulation round the pots underneath the layout. (It looks as if the pots will be exposed to the air.) Maybe spraying the outside of the pots with insulating foam would work. Insulation would also help protect the roots against frost.

tramcar trev

22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
Best answers
It will be watered by a drip irrigation system system. I do like the insulation idea though, there is some merit in that... Now as to the height of these trees; how high is a 1:22.5 tree? I may be able to do a spot of judicious pruning on them. There are drought resistant/ frost hardy conifers in my local garden shop about 40 - 50 cm high or I could sneak into the pine forest and half inch a few radiata pines, not sure if they would transplant though.... Australian natives thou generally do not take to root disturbance and when root bound just die, so I'll have to stick to exotic species....

I think it may be best to get things set up ready for spring planting....

gregh

electronics, computers and scratchbuilding
1 Nov 2009
Sydney, Australia
www.members.optusnet.com.au
Best answers
Country flag
Ralph Holden has been using plants-in-pots-in-baseboard on his SAR-Eyre Peninsular Division for decades. see here:
http://www.minnipasiding.com.au/sar...46/5d10ee30c2b846c4aba2f5ec926a2427.jpg[/IMG]

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
"Now as to the height of these trees; how high is a 1:22.5 tree?"

Well the answer to that question is is somewhat ambiguous. Since a tree in real life, not that your trees aren't real, can be anywhaere from miniscule to about four hundred feet or about 122 meters !!!!!!!!:rofl::thinking:

tramcar trev

22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
Best answers
So I can use any size up to around a metre tall..... Impressive..... Ming Fern I have been told would not survive here what a bummer. I asked about Cotoneaster, very small leaves and covered in G scale red apple sized berries http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIGAsNAyhkY .... No that's not on either "Sir that is a noxious weed".... I may have to "import" some plants.... Dwarf cypress does look promising as a plant that would look much like a real full sized conifer. Dwarf spruce are another option but at around $100 each I don't think so....
Anyway I'll visit the Gov't Nursery where the prices are sensible and all grow in Canberra...

The Dripper system is installed and running so watering is not going to be a problem.....

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Trev, I was referring to the Giant Sequoia, when I mentioned almost 400 feet. I doubt that you will want that imbalance on your pike.
What about Drwarf Boxwoods. My wife has planted them in out garden and with not too much pruning, they look like scale, full grown deciduous trees. And they are green all year.

tramcar trev

22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
Best answers
Hmmm yes English box, grows here like wildfire also now a weed 8| but I know where I can get some seedlings and they would do a super job, great hint! Yesterday I was at Yass Soldiers Club and opposite there is a nice little park and the buggers have copied my idea of planting their trees in raised beds, seems I cant have an original idea these days, must be an "age" thing. now my quest is for a 1:22.5 WWI soldier, so I can make a Cenotaph, every Australian town has one................................................
How about a giant Tingle tree with my tramway running through the base of it??? Na I'll try and keep "trees" to a 50cm max height I think....
One lesson for new players though is that you need your overhead sorted before you decide to start planting trees because as sure as night follows day you can bet you'll need to put a pole where you have a tree growing....

gregh

electronics, computers and scratchbuilding
1 Nov 2009
Sydney, Australia
www.members.optusnet.com.au
Best answers
Country flag
tramcar trev said:
......now my quest is for a 1:22.5 WWI soldier, so I can make a Cenotaph, every Australian town has one................................................
Let me know when you find one Trev, my Memorial Hall has been wanting one for years.;)

tramcar trev

22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
Best answers
gregh said:
tramcar trev said:
......now my quest is for a 1:22.5 WWI soldier, so I can make a Cenotaph, every Australian town has one................................................
Let me know when you find one Trev, my Memorial Hall has been wanting one for years.;)
I found a few on ebay, the light horseman looks good but the price discourages me...

Silent-Soldiers-Figurine-War-Light-Horseman-A-Special-Gift-NIB-/281060762824?pt=AU_Militaria&hash=item417086e4c8&_uhb=1#ht_1490wt_1097

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Silent-S...ria&hash=item3f21d460af&_uhb=1#ht_1490wt_1097
or Marching; http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Silent-S...ria&hash=item417086e757&_uhb=1#ht_1490wt_1097
all to tall...
Many 1:35 which would be ok on a granite plinth... I'll check out my local wargamers shop...

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
"One lesson for new players though is that you need your overhead sorted before you decide to start planting trees because as sure as night follows day you can bet you'll need to put a pole where you have a tree growing...."

You'll have to hire a crew to do pruning operations. One of them should be an Arborist. For that you'll need a maintainence tram outfiited with the proper platform and tools. See where this is going? You'll never stop modelling. That's a good thing, isn't it?

tramcar trev

22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
Best answers
[align=left]Today at lunch a keen supporter of the tramway (who wishes to remain anonymous lest he be tarnished by the same brush of radical enthusiasm as me) presented me with a Pine grown from a pine cone sent back to Australia by Lance Corporal Benjamin Smith of the 3Rd Battalion. This is therefore genuine progeny of the real Lone Pine of Lone Pine fame and will be planted at the LVET War Memorial which is just across from Hard Place Terminus. The cute little tree will be planted out and encouraged to grow its little heart out before it is mercilessly Bonsaied into shape. Hopefully in 2 years it will reach around 30 - 50 cm tall and will be planted with due ceremony, pomp & circumstance in August 2015 as part of the centenary celebrations. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Lone_Pine I can get more of these ( Lone Pines) if anyone else wants one, they could be express posted in Winter with no ill effects....[/align] [align=left]
Yesterday was ANZAC Day and I represented 1Tp 1Fd Sqn RAE at the Binalong Anzac do. It was a great day despite my initial trepidations of marching with a bunch of Bikies, all a dieing breed; members of the Vietnam Veteran Motor Cycle Club, they can?t go on forever as to gain membership you have to be a Vietnam Vet and ride a bike (I don?t think an exercise bike cuts it). These guys despite their appearances are truly the salt of the earth and honestly the sort of person you want around you when the poop hits the fan?. Had the damned hide to call me a Tunnel Plugger? There after we adjourned to the pub with my sons and charming wife for a cleansing ale and a damned good lunch followed by a slab of Pavlova. I didn?t stay for the 2 up as I had to ?plumb in? the only people in Binalong who have a letterboxes? dishwasher?.[/align] [align=left]
fa0dba4ca42d486990587e51ac839a8e.jpg
ffd7138c04e942ca83bfaa7fd288b9ad.jpg
eaf391df5bec4e458d114e8280f88e2d.jpg
[/align] [align=left]
[/align]

tramcar trev

22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
Best answers
Madman said:
"One lesson for new players though is that you need your overhead sorted before you decide to start planting trees because as sure as night follows day you can bet you'll need to put a pole where you have a tree growing...."

You'll have to hire a crew to do pruning operations. One of them should be an Arborist. For that you'll need a maintainence tram outfiited with the proper platform and tools. See where this is going? You'll never stop modelling. That's a good thing, isn't it?
I'm 1.131433337 steps ahead of you. Already plans are afoot for an overhead come works car fitted with all the appropriate apparatus for maintenance.... It's even planned to have a rotating top deck....

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Trev,
I was hoping to be able to post a few pics for you, but my pics are in total upheaval since getting my new mac and trying to get all the pics into order. Don't ask. Also all my plants are in a bit of a mess due to the recent move.

Still not not sure if this will help. I do a bit of Bonsai. Not an expert but I do know what I can manage and for a Bonsai Cheat like me 'Cotoneasters' work very well. They can be shaped into all sorts of Trees. I have made Apple Tree look alikes, leaning, tall all sorts. The only restriction of what I can make them do is my mind. They suffer extreme abuse and still come back. Grow fairly quick so that you can get good results then just keep them in shape. But once they are where you want them the abuse and small pots seam to stunt the growth nicely. If you can get under there give them a try. Many of mine have been from seedlings pooped from the berries by birds! But you can normally get small examples quite cheap from garden centres. Or look around to see if any local gardens have them, pound to a pinch of a Dollar there will be some seedlings littered in their or even your garden.
JonD

mike bickford

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Harden Murrumburrah NSW Australia
Best answers
Country flag
tramcar trev said:
Today at lunch a keen supporter of the tramway (who wishes to remain anonymous lest he be tarnished by the same brush of radical enthusiasm as me) presented me with a Pine grown from a pine cone sent back to Australia by Lance Corporal Benjamin Smith of the 3Rd Battalion. This is therefore genuine progeny of the real Lone Pine of Lone Pine fame and will be planted at the LVET War Memorial which is just across from Hard Place Terminus. The cute little tree will be planted out and encouraged to grow its little heart out before it is mercilessly Bonsaied into shape. Hopefully in 2 years it will reach around 30 - 50 cm tall and will be planted with due ceremony, pomp & circumstance in August 2015 as part of the centenary celebrations. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Lone_Pine I can get more of these ( Lone Pines) if anyone else wants one, they could be express posted in Winter with no ill effects....​

Yesterday was ANZAC Day and I represented 1Tp 1Fd Sqn RAE at the Binalong Anzac do. It was a great day despite my initial trepidations of marching with a bunch of Bikies, all a dieing breed; members of the Vietnam Veteran Motor Cycle Club, they can?t go on forever as to gain membership you have to be a Vietnam Vet and ride a bike (I don?t think an exercise bike cuts it). These guys despite their appearances are truly the salt of the earth and honestly the sort of person you want around you when the poop hits the fan?. Had the damned hide to call me a Tunnel Plugger? There after we adjourned to the pub with my sons and charming wife for a cleansing ale and a damned good lunch followed by a slab of Pavlova. I didn?t stay for the 2 up as I had to ?plumb in? the only people in Binalong who have a letterboxes? dishwasher?.​

images
images
images
Hi Trev, enjoying your travels with trams outdooors and your blog too. Your photo of the march at Binalong gave me a nice surprise - a very long time good mate of mine is in the Viet Vets MC club and is in the pic. I gather the MC club visits a small town every Anzac Day to boost numbers for the towns march. He paid a visit here to me in Harden the next day too.

cheers,
Mike Bickford
Murrumburrah Tramway
www.ritginc.org

tramcar trev

22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
Best answers
mike bickford said:
tramcar trev said:
Today at lunch a keen supporter of the tramway (who wishes to remain anonymous lest he be tarnished by the same brush of radical enthusiasm as me) presented me with a Pine grown from a pine cone sent back to Australia by Lance Corporal Benjamin Smith of the 3Rd Battalion. This is therefore genuine progeny of the real Lone Pine of Lone Pine fame and will be planted at the LVET War Memorial which is just across from Hard Place Terminus. The cute little tree will be planted out and encouraged to grow its little heart out before it is mercilessly Bonsaied into shape. Hopefully in 2 years it will reach around 30 - 50 cm tall and will be planted with due ceremony, pomp & circumstance in August 2015 as part of the centenary celebrations. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Lone_Pine I can get more of these ( Lone Pines) if anyone else wants one, they could be express posted in Winter with no ill effects....​

Yesterday was ANZAC Day and I represented 1Tp 1Fd Sqn RAE at the Binalong Anzac do. It was a great day despite my initial trepidations of marching with a bunch of Bikies, all a dieing breed; members of the Vietnam Veteran Motor Cycle Club, they can?t go on forever as to gain membership you have to be a Vietnam Vet and ride a bike (I don?t think an exercise bike cuts it). These guys despite their appearances are truly the salt of the earth and honestly the sort of person you want around you when the poop hits the fan?. Had the damned hide to call me a Tunnel Plugger? There after we adjourned to the pub with my sons and charming wife for a cleansing ale and a damned good lunch followed by a slab of Pavlova. I didn?t stay for the 2 up as I had to ?plumb in? the only people in Binalong who have a letterboxes? dishwasher?.​

images
images
images
Hi Trev, enjoying your travels with trams outdooors and your blog too. Your photo of the march at Binalong gave me a nice surprise - a very long time good mate of mine is in the Viet Vets MC club and is in the pic. I gather the MC club visits a small town every Anzac Day to boost numbers for the towns march. He paid a visit here to me in Harden the next day too.

cheers,
Mike Bickford
Murrumburrah Tramway
http://www.ritginc.org < Link To www.ritginc.org
Yes this is apparently the case, if they hadn't turned up there would have been only 5 of us able to march...