DafyddElvy

1:22.5 & 15mm Scale Trams, , NG Steam Railways
10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Anybody willing to attack the garden, will be welcomed with open arms, and fed and watered..
:D

PhilP
I keep being reminded I have a garden to finish remodelling, being of a sensitive nature I'll leave it until next month :giggle: :rofl:

The final phase requires a cement mixer which also requires dry weather for me to be outside, getting wet in the garden isn't a thing I enjoy doing.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Anybody willing to attack the garden, will be welcomed with open arms, and fed and watered..

PhilP
I was thinking more of your missing spring (having just removed eight of them from the Hartford bogies). Mind you, the Hartford bogie springs are a lot more humane to handle, being pretty similar to the Bachmann Fn3 bogie springs. There are very few Bachmann Fn3 springs in the outer stratosphere (which is absolutely riddled with Aristo springs) :giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle:

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I keep being reminded I have a garden to finish remodelling, being of a sensitive nature I'll leave it until next month :giggle: :rofl:

The final phase requires a cement mixer which also requires dry weather for me to be outside, getting wet in the garden isn't a thing I enjoy doing.
No, no, no David - you don't need to get inside the mixer; that's where you put the sand, ballast and cement :nod::nod::nod:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag

PhilP
Only watered no beer? Not much of an incentive.

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
Definite signs of spring. Not only have we got frog spawn in the pond but the window cleaner turned up yesterday, the first time since last summer. Mr Whippy came up the road in his van touting his wares, what more signs do you need.

Reactions: 1 user

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
I read somewhere that trees have a seven year cycle - every seven years they produce an abundance of seeds. Not sure if anyone else has this problem but this year my garden has been inundated with sycamore seedlings. If I let them grow into trees, there would be mostly forest and very little railway.

DSCN3364.JPGDSCN3366.JPGDSCN3367.JPG

Rik

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Is that last shot your stream-bed?

PhilP

Reactions: 1 user

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Look like sycamore seedlings, should come up easily whilst at the two leaf stage.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Look like sycamore seedlings, should come up easily whilst at the two leaf stage.
Yep best to get them as soon as possible.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
We had one in our minuscule garden in Wembley, seeds get everywhere.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
We had one in our minuscule garden in Wembley, seeds get everywhere.
Literally just found one growing through the decking. Not from the ground though, it was on one of the cross braces. I never understand why the seeds I plant never work, yet a self seeder will establish itself anywhere

RDFMTS2

Dyffryn Llynfi & Porthcawl Railway
5 May 2015
South Wales
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, self seeders seem very successful. I have to go around each year and remove the Himalayan Bolsum which arrives on the wind from the area behind our garden, once the track bed of one of Mr I. K. Brunei's railways, our house and garden predates his work here by 25 years. Thankfully, the seedlings are easily removed at the two leaf stage and it gives me chance to have a good look around the railway before the spring service resumes.

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Hi all
As you can see from my original post ( Signs of Spring 2023 ), the point I was trying to make was that this year, there seems to be a proliferation of seedlings. As my garden is overlooked by sycamore trees, I regularly have to remove the seedlings (and sometimes saplings for those I miss). If trees are on a seven year cycle as I have been led to believe, then I'd expect this to be a more widespread phenomenon. Unless, of course, individual trees each have their own seven year cycles.

I just wondered if others in other parts of the country had been similarly inundated with seeds this year. Perhaps I should have made this clearer.

Rik

PS - Apparently it's called a "Mast Year" but it doesn't necessarily happen every seven years What is a Mast Year? How and Why it Happens - Woodland Trust

We did notice on our walks in the autumn there was a super abundance of acorns beneath oak trees in our area, so it doesn't seem to be species specific

Last edited:

RDFMTS2

Dyffryn Llynfi & Porthcawl Railway
5 May 2015
South Wales
Best answers
Country flag
Hi all
As you can see from my original post ( Signs of Spring 2023 ), the point I was trying to make was that this year, there seems to be a proliferation of seedlings. As my garden is overlooked by sycamore trees, I regularly have to remove the seedlings (and sometimes saplings for those I miss). If trees are on a seven year cycle as I have been led to believe, then I'd expect this to be a more widespread phenomenon. Unless, of course, individual trees each have their own seven year cycles.

I just wondered if others in other parts of the country had been similarly inundated with seeds this year. Perhaps I should have made this clearer.

Rik

PS - Apparently it's called a "Mast Year" but it doesn't necessarily happen every seven years What is a Mast Year? How and Why it Happens - Woodland Trust

We did notice on our walks in the autumn there was a super abundance of acorns beneath oak trees in our area, so it doesn't seem to be species specific
Rik, Sorry I missed what you were saying about a mast year. I will look when I go out for any increase in tree seedlings. We did have an Oak tree in our previous garden and that seemed to produce more acorns some years and the lawn would be full of them, so it may be true. David

Technocrat

Mostly Retired?
18 Feb 2022
De Graff Kansas
Best answers
Country flag
My indicator of spring is the goslings and ducklings, both lots less than 48 hours old.
For me it is the Bois D' Ark hedge trees (also commonly called Ozark Orange) budding and leafing out.

Osage%20Orange%20Fruit%20on%20Tree%202021%201.jpg

An Invasive species to the great planes, they were introduce during the dust bowl years by the WPA to reduce
wind erosion of the topsoil.
The plan worked well, but they can be a real nuisance if they are not kept in check.
They are the only tree common top this area that is never caught by a late frost. One of the mysteries of life.
They are leafing out nicely, so I guess I need to get my vegetables into the ground...
1683217438559.jpeg