dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Well not quite yet, we could have more snow wind and general poor frosty weather. But I like to think that the Snowdrops just now starting to flower are a sign of better things to come.
387F0F7C-25B3-4AA4-A1C7-F562378D31E8.jpeg
My Muchlenbeckia complexa has had a hard time of it this winter with the die back very severe on a plant that would be green all winter. But it cometh back with signs of green leaf and where it has been cut back had live branches. This hardy busy plant is a great addition to the garden railway and will climb 2.5-3metres if allowed to or has something to hang on. Ideal for loosing fencing, a task I hope to set it to this year with some of the unwanted suckers spreading their wings where unwanted. But this is a plant that needs to be watched and pruned ruthlessly, you have been warned.
BCB0A645-A61E-49AA-9203-D427B61DEC28.jpeg
Finally the Forsythia (I think) starting to bloom.
5931A7CC-6709-4328-BFF3-390A119C0989.jpeg

KentKeith

Registered
24 Oct 2009
SouthEast Kent
Best answers
Country flag
Well not quite yet, we could have more snow wind and general poor frosty weather. But I like to think that the Snowdrops just now starting to flower are a sign of better things to come.
View attachment 308554
My Muchlenbeckia complexa has had a hard time of it this winter with the die back very severe on a plant that would be green all winter. But it cometh back with signs of green leaf and where it has been cut back had live branches. This hardy busy plant is a great addition to the garden railway and will climb 2.5-3metres if allowed to or has something to hang on. Ideal for loosing fencing, a task I hope to set it to this year with some of the unwanted suckers spreading their wings where unwanted. But this is a plant that needs to be watched and pruned ruthlessly, you have been warned.
View attachment 308553
View attachment 308555

Just walked round the garden, found that five daffodils starting to flower.....

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
View attachment 308554
View attachment 308553
View attachment 308555
That last picture could be Winter Flowering Jasmine

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Nudiflorum? Steady on! In this weather I'd rather be in the clothed florum

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I'm not sure if this counts but when I was out running the trains today the weeds were starting to come back through the tracks...
Yes plenty of them showing their heads as well.

JimmyB

23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks guys, a net search came up with pics of Forsythia, as I am not that good with ID-ing plants good to get the correct gen.
Looking closer I think you could be right. Does the base of the plant have thick stems and branches, or are they relatedly thin from the roots, this may help identification.

The Shed

Citizen of the Republic of the North East.
8 Mar 2020
Darlington, County Durham.
Country
England
Best answers
Confused Cherry Tree, been flowering for the last couple of weeks, quite how the blossom has survived the near Arctic conditions of the past month up here in the Frozen Wastelands of Paradise, only Mother Nature can answer that one.

Cherry Tree.jpg

The Camellia, which is in a large pot, in a sheltered and protected spot, flower buds coming along nicely.

Camellia.jpg

As for any other signs of life, they will need the assistance of a couple pounds of Semtex and a hard hat to break through the surface soil.

JimmyB

23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
Best answers
Country flag
Confused Cherry Tree, been flowering for the last couple of weeks, quite how the blossom has survived the near Arctic conditions of the past month up here in the Frozen Wastelands of Paradise, only Mother Nature can answer that one.

View attachment 308573

The Camellia, which is in a large pot, in a sheltered and protected spot, flower buds coming along nicely.

View attachment 308574

As for any other signs of life, they will need the assistance of a couple pounds of Semtex and a hard hat to break through the surface soil.
My camellia is normally in flower by now, but it isn't, however my quince is!!

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Looking closer I think you could be right. Does the base of the plant have thick stems and branches, or are they relatedly thin from the roots, this may help identification.
Hm it is a bit of a jungle round there, but I think thinish stems from the ground, branches are certainly thin and grow thin making pruning quite easy. They do tend to grw over the track some requiring regular attacks during the summer. Perhaps a closer view of the flowers may help.

WOW EDITED MY ORIBKE KEYBASHING SPOOLING MISTOOKS AUGHT.
A835CE26-A1BC-49A9-8D46-B128835996B8.jpeg

Last edited:

JimmyB

23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
Best answers
Country flag
I think it is jasminum nudiflorum,

Have look at these two:

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Yes the Winter Jasmine pic by Shed nails it as wot I have. Thanks.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Snow drops given a superb show this year, fortunately they get better every year by prolificating like rabbits almost. Not that I mind.
5D3ABBBC-8E39-41A9-A9C7-6B077019930C.jpeg
This little one now showing nicely as well, shame it is not as productive as the snowdrops.
D842804A-F2B3-4AB9-8500-9985C6057745.jpeg

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
and there was me, thinking you were volunteering to help Phil :shake::shake::shake:

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Anybody willing to attack the garden, will be welcomed with open arms, and fed and watered..
:D

PhilP