Private railroad car,FINISHED!,,

Riograndad

Model Railroading, boats and oil painting,
6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
Re: Private railroad car,2/3rds done,,

Thanks for your kind replies,,,,Some more work done today,started the lettering,when im happy with it will post a pic or two,,,just a little add on tip i do to all my Bachmann cars,remove the roof, use a large plastistuc angle and after cutting to length ,run a bead of poly glue along the top of the car mould,drop the angle onto the glue and while wet,put the roof back on and push the angle back to meet the roof moulding,ends up square to match the roof,the angle comes up to the bottom of the toplights in the roof and takes out that horrible gap between the car and roof,just finishes the inside,(don`t glue the top of angle so roof can be removed)can see the result in the pics of the interior,but do one side at a time.BTW,Couple of posts ago Mick thought of tissue paper to make tarps,yes can do,good idea is cover model with large sheet of clingfilm,use a PVA/water mix,shape of the model can then be copied exactly,when dry,can be lifted off as a solid moulding when dry,holes made to tie on etc,,I use this on boat deck cargos,works well,I am going to make some flatcar loads,simple and no weight!!!(1/24 workboats are my other modelling interest) :)Neil

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag

Much excellence is going on here.
Darned fine work!

Riograndad

6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
I"ve had a week or so off,so managed to get to the stage i can call it DONE!!! :happy:,Lettering on the letterboard now sports white repaint,lettering on the car done,varnished,cutlery sorted(knocked up with tinfoil until i can find proper replacements) together with napkins and rings,then underneath the water tanks fitted and water inlets on the sides,just one thing to do,,,,nip over to Glendale,get some dryrub decals,I need an ""&"" on the drumhead! :) I may do a little weathering on the trucks and the underside,not sure,Now thinking about next project....couple of old sierra cars?

Attachments

• private car3 001.JPG
    private car3 001.JPG
    210.6 KB · Views: 41
  • private car3 002.JPG
    private car3 002.JPG
    223.6 KB · Views: 41
  • private car3 004.JPG
    private car3 004.JPG
    207.2 KB · Views: 49
  • private car3 006.JPG
    private car3 006.JPG
    134.9 KB · Views: 42
  • private car3 007.JPG
    private car3 007.JPG
    138.6 KB · Views: 41
  • private car3 008.JPG
    private car3 008.JPG
    133.2 KB · Views: 46
  • private car3 009.JPG
    private car3 009.JPG
    183.2 KB · Views: 59
  • private car3 014.JPG
    private car3 014.JPG
    146.5 KB · Views: 52

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag

Oooh yes....now that is very very good!

Riograndad

6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
Re: Private railroad car,

Thanks Mike,nipped over to Glendale today,picked up a pair of LGB marker lights for the rear,thought it was finished, :) :)but forgot to get dryrubs so no"&"for the drumhead,(damm) :'(

KandNWLR

Live steam on the indoor K&NWLR
18 Dec 2011
Alsace
www.youtube.com
Best answers
Excellent :) ;) :D :happy: ??? 8) :p

tramcar trev

all manner of mechanical apparatus...
22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
trevs-tramway.blogspot.com
Best answers
So good it would be a shame to actually use it.

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Really impressive level of detail. I notice it has lighting. What does it look like at night?

Rik

GANDYDANCER

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Leicestershire
Best answers
Outstanding ;)

JRinTawa

Member of the Wellington Garden Railway Group
25 Oct 2009
Tawa
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Agreed, a great bit of modeling. :)

Riograndad

6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks all for the positive comments guys,as for the lights at night,just standard track powered,when i picked the car up secondhand,(D&RGW yellow)it did"nt have the roof mounts for the bulbs,so made some using plastruc mouldings,illumination is just as the standard car,BTW today I have started to fit the LGB rear marker lights,so all apart again to hide the wiring behind the curtains!!!I thought it was finished,they were just an afterthought,,,,If i can get a decent pic with the lights on when completed,will post one :) :)Neil.

Riograndad

6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
Iv"e  fitted the marker lights to the rear of the car,quite pleased with the results,although it was a pig of a job,had to remove internal paneling,curtains etc to allow the holes to be drilled,then the "hooks"that locate the lamps to the LGB stock(in the slot in the car side)did"nt want to play ball,so used a hot screwdriver blade to "rivet"them on,only get one chance at that one,,but worked ok,all wired up with the coach lights and soldered joints throughout,work fine,then all the interior put back into place,wires in behind curtains and  out of sight,repainted any scratches,now just a touch up on the exterior around the drill holes,thats tomorrow!!!!loose fitting roof in pic is due to the fact that the guy sitting in the salon needs a female companion, ;) when i find a suitable lady figure,will screw the roof down !!!!;)If only to stop the rumours about himself and the maid :happy: ;)

Attachments

• lamps 001.JPG
    lamps 001.JPG
    234.2 KB · Views: 72

Riograndad

6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
JUST FOR FUN.....  ;)What do you do with a railroad car thats sat on a spur doin" nothin"?Well,get some money in to recoupe some spent out on the cars rebuild,Lease it out to someone on the campaign trail,simple,I think its the first of my cars that is actually makin" money !!!!!! :happy: :happy: Democrat or Republican?didnt ask him as he was writing the cheques :happy: BTW,still got to finish painting the marks out from lantern fit :-[.............as for the bunting and flags,,all gone now,only put them on for the pic :p

Attachments

• poll1 003.JPG
    poll1 003.JPG
    237.2 KB · Views: 64

Riograndad

6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
Well I can say its about there,a suitable female friend was found for the gentleman in the car,they got on very well,so out came the screwdriver and the roof fitted back on,(even he now has a SWMBO) ;)all scratches touched up from the lantern fix,just one little job to do,the"&"on the drumhead,but otherwise its finished,and so off they went into the night ;) :)!!!!Can I just thank everone for the positive feedback during the build,thanks all ;),,,,Neil.      (next project,couple of old Sierra cars)

Attachments

• car 4 006.JPG
    car 4 006.JPG
    103.3 KB · Views: 70
  • car 4 012.JPG
    car 4 012.JPG
    100.6 KB · Views: 64