Piko General Electric 25T Switcher.

AustrianNG

Director of my railway
16 Sep 2015
Wirral
Best answers
Country flag
I have the Piko track cleaning loco.
It definitely won’t remove steam oil off the railhead.

IMG_5404.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user

James M

Registered
5 Feb 2017
Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Very nice livery James. However I prefer the green liveried one shown in the picture posted by Revok.
Morning Casey, got to admit the green livery is better. I quite like the livery of your locos too.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Might if you custom-build replacement pads, and use a solvent?

But I think a flat car with bigger pads would be needed?

PhilP

viaEstrecha

Spanish metre gauge in G scale (on the cheap)
25 Oct 2009
Bedfordshire
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
My little ex-rail cleaner was feeling left out of the thread! Fosworks battery/RC, with directional lights in the outer buffer sockets, and MLS Light Diesel card generating apparently correct sounds for a GE 25tonner. I really do need to tone down the Vauxhall Corsa green.
IMG_4352 (Medium).jpeg

Reactions: 2 users

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Very nice livery James. However I prefer the green liveried one shown in the picture posted by Revok.
Both very nice, but since I'm a Pennsy fan, the cat's whiskers appeal to me.

James M

Registered
5 Feb 2017
Essex
Best answers
Country flag
My little ex-rail cleaner was feeling left out of the thread! Fosworks battery/RC, with directional lights in the outer buffer sockets, and MLS Light Diesel card generating apparently correct sounds for a GE 25tonner. I really do need to tone down the Vauxhall Corsa green.
View attachment 318352
Looks good!

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Might if you custom-build replacement pads, and use a solvent?

But I think a flat car with bigger pads would be needed?

PhilP
It will need to be able to absorb the liquid as well as wipe it clean, so a soft sponge like pad would be best

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Charnwood Forest Railway. Rothley. Leics.
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
View attachment 318352
That really looks good Martyn.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Phil, the track at the CFR is not powered. The idea is to use the track cleaner to remove oil deposited by the live steam locomotives.
As has been said Paul, not so sure it will be that effective at removing oil gunge from the track. However we used a small scratch built diesel at Ridgmont in the day, it had pads of old carpet tike cut-offs to clear the gunge and was semi affective. Perhaps you could experiment along these lines perhaps using some kind of absorbent material as I think carpet may be a bit thick for the Piko cleaning pads.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
I've just brought a 2nd hand Piko Track Cleaning wagon, based on the Shimmns vehicle. I've ordered the track cleaning pads and fluid for it and once these arrive, I'll test and report.

Although I don't have live steam, I have a few friends who do run 'proper' locos, so I'll try it on their tracks....

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Charnwood Forest Railway. Rothley. Leics.
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
As has been said Paul, not so sure it will be that effective at removing oil gunge from the track. However we used a small scratch built diesel at Ridgmont in the day, it had pads of old carpet tike cut-offs to clear the gunge and was semi affective. Perhaps you could experiment along these lines perhaps using some kind of absorbent material as I think carpet may be a bit thick for the Piko cleaning pads.
Jon, experimenting is half the fun and it is very satisfying when it works.