Piko General Electric 25T Switcher.

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Charnwood Forest Railway. Rothley. Leics.
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
For the first time in eight years the CFR has received a new battery powered radio controlled locomotive by PIKO:-
IMG_8755.jpeg

The locomotive is powered by 6 AAA batteries. I have used 1100ma batteries and I hope to get at least four hours run time out of them. The transmitter is similar to a car key fob.

viaEstrecha

Spanish metre gauge in G scale (on the cheap)
25 Oct 2009
Bedfordshire
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
For the first time in eight years the CFR has received a new battery powered radio controlled locomotive by PIKO:-
View attachment 317743

The locomotive is powered by 6 AAA batteries. I have used 1100ma batteries and I hope to get at least four hours run time out of them. The transmitter is similar to a car key fob.
Excellent and in an attractive livery. When my little track cleaning one ran on 6xrechargeables, I certainly got 3-4 hours. Less now, with a NiMH battery pack but that has to cope with sound, lights and dancing girls too. OK, maybe not the girls, just couple of surly crew.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Hal Farsed

D.P. Gumby.
7 Apr 2014
Staffordshire, England.
Best answers
Country flag
Paul, I have looked at these. If you get a minute, would you mind dropping a ruler over its main dimensions?

James M

Registered
5 Feb 2017
Essex
Best answers
Country flag
I have two of these locos. Would definitely recommend them!

James M

Registered
5 Feb 2017
Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Here’s one of mine.

Attachments

• IMG_2369.jpeg
    IMG_2369.jpeg
    268.1 KB · Views: 1

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
This is my heavily modified (in terms of power and RC), Paul I think you must have 2 of the little beasts. Is it really 8 years since your last Roundhouse Battery Diesel?
IMG_3919.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
This is my heavily modified (in terms of power and RC), Paul I think you must have 2 of the little beasts. Is it really 8 years since your last Roundhouse Battery Diesel?
View attachment 318123
No Jon, I have purchased plenty of Roundhouse RC Locomotives in the last 8 years. The Piko locomotive was my first purchase of a plastic made item in over 8 years and yes I now have two of them. My next purchase will be the track cleaning locomotive.
I rather like the weathering and hard working locomotive that you have.

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
The Piko GE 25T Switcher is continuing to surprise me and pass all expectations. Today I hooked up 24 wagons and a brake van behind the locomotive. It was able to haul the entire consist without any problems:-
IMG_8865.jpeg

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
The Piko GE 25T Switcher is continuing to surprise me and pass all expectations. Today I hooked up 24 wagons and a brake van behind the locomotive. It was able to haul the entire consist without any problems:-
View attachment 318246

I'm impressed that the Piko loco is able to haul that many wagons. How steep are the grades, if any ?

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Very impressive!

Piko's answer to the Stainz, which we all know, can pull well-beyond what the prototype would ever have been called on to do.

The Piko Lok, just needs to prove its longevity, and resilience..

If anyone can put some miles on one, Paul and the CFR can! :nod::nerd:

PhilP

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
I'm impressed that the Piko loco is able to haul that many wagons. How steep are the grades, if any ?
Dan, most of the grades are quite gentle. However the old rack line is very steep and it can propel 7 wagons up to the summit.
I have a picture of the switcher propelling coaches up the loco shed incline:-
IMG_8782.jpeg

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Mine pretty well does all I ask of it, on conversion to get more batteries in I removed the weight but have replaced that with lead sheet behind the wheels as shown in my conversion post. Load wise it is sometimes used to populate Silberhutte with wagons from the shed and as many as 10 or so LGB full sized wagons managed with ease. Not a simple task as some are on the R1 curve in the shed though the route is pretty level.

Last edited:

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
Mina pretty well does all I ask of it, on conversion to get more batteries in I removed the weight but have replaced that with lead sheet behind the wheels as shown in my conversion post. Load wise it is sometimes used to populate Silberhutte with wagons from the shed and as many as 10 or so LGB full sized wagons managed with ease. Not a simple task as some are on the R1 curve in the shed though the route is pretty level.
Jon, a very versatile locomotive. I am going to invest in the track cleaning locomotive.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Jon, a very versatile locomotive. I am going to invest in the track cleaning locomotive.
Paul, it does 'polish' the railhead a little, but would take some-time to do a meaningful job, on heavily tarnished rail. - It usesSlide clipboard items to delete the springs on the skates, to keep the cleaning pads in contact with the rails, so not a great deal of force is applied.

PhilP

Revok

Registered
19 Jun 2018
West Sussex, UK
Best answers
Country flag
I have been using the track cleaning loco for almost 3 years, and I like it a lot.

As previously mentioned, it doesn't have much effect on really dirty track, but I have found it does a good job at maintaining the rails in good condition once they have had the worst of the tarnish removed by the traditional scotchbrite mop method. To give some idea of scale, before loco I'd need to manually clean track every day before running. Since loco I think roughly once a week some area might need a bit of a rub.

With 900mAh NiMh batteries I originally got just over 2hours continuous running. I use it just about every day the weather is dry enough to be out in the garden, and after 3 years I'm still getting 2 hours, a little less if I'm pulling something behind it.

Cleaning pads need replacing, and I'd guess it varies wildly depending on conditions, but for what its worth I renew approx every 3 months.

Here's mine on duty.

DSCF9976.JPG

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
Paul, it does 'polish' the railhead a little, but would take some-time to do a meaningful job, on heavily tarnished rail. - It usesSlide clipboard items to delete the springs on the skates, to keep the cleaning pads in contact with the rails, so not a great deal of force is applied.

PhilP
Phil, the track at the CFR is not powered. The idea is to use the track cleaner to remove oil deposited by the live steam locomotives.

James M

Registered
5 Feb 2017
Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Here’s my other 25t. I rather like the one in Union Pacific livery too.

Attachments

• IMG_2645.jpeg
    IMG_2645.jpeg
    231.5 KB · Views: 0

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
Here’s my other 25t. I rather like the one in Union Pacific livery too.
Very nice livery James. However I prefer the green liveried one shown in the picture posted by Revok.

Last edited: