Feldbahn Thoughts - Anyone Used Tighter Than R1 Curves?

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Just for part numbers:

There are two pre-made circles of Aristo-Craft track, a 21" diameter circle ITEM #: ART11140, and a 32" diameter circle ITEM #: ART11145.

Each is 4 pieces to a complete circle

Greg

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Just for part numbers:

There are two pre-made circles of Aristo-Craft track, a 21" diameter circle ITEM #: ART11140, and a 32" diameter circle ITEM #: ART11145.

Each is 4 pieces to a complete circle

Greg

Thanks Greg, I've used those part numbers in the past to search for any available, without success - if you ever see one for sale (particularly the 32", the 21" is a bit too tight for what I have in mind) please let me know!
The advantage of Bertram Heyn's Radius 0 track is that unlike the Aristo circles, it's actually in current production....

Jon.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
This lot do some very nice Feldbahn Track, somewhat similar to Peco Crazy Track for those that remember or know of it. 600mm which is around LGB R1 but the one that really catches the eye is the 422mm Radius around 16.5 inches. Not quite a circle in a 3ft square, but not a lot over it neither. Rail looks a good match for LGB I reckon. Odd angled x crossings and the funny Harz Metal Sleepers are also in this range. Points as well, look under Weichen 45mm.

http://www.modell-werkstatt.de/gleise-45mm

As seen in the pics below, if you want it they also do this with more LGB looking sleepers too.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Twas Stockers that put me onto this with another link he posted.
JonD

Last edited:

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Already very familiar with Herr Heyn's range, JonD - met him at the Llanfair show last year (and yes, he was wearing that hat....). Sadly he hadn't brought much track with him - really just a few samples - otherwise I'd have had a circle of Rad 0 from him there and then. I did buy quite a lot of little accessories, signs and stuff from him at the show.
There was a rumour going round at the show that he was going to be invited to G-Rail this year, which (if true) would be great - his stuff is well worth a close look.....

Jon.

Railway42

LGB, Radio Control Model Boat, Electronics
28 Feb 2013
Cheddar
Best answers
Country flag
At 96 Euro for a circle of track, that is quite expensive. It would be cheaper and better to bend the track yourself out of LGB track.
Has anyone got a track bender to lend out?

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
I can borrow a track bender if I need to - but frankly for the very tight radii I'd rather pay the money (and know I was getting something purpose-designed and 100% correct) than go to the hassle of doing it myself..... ;)

Jon.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
There was a rumour going round at the show that he was going to be invited to G-Rail this year, which (if true) would be great - his stuff is well worth a close look.....

Jon.
Nothing on the GSS website as to which traders will be attending as yet?

Brought one of Bertram Heyn's short diamond crossings (R1) last year, to make a scissors crossover....

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I can borrow a track bender if I need to - but frankly for the very tight radii I'd rather pay the money (and know I was getting something purpose-designed and 100% correct) than go to the hassle of doing it myself..... ;)

Jon.
Have to say I fully concur re the accuracy of Curves using a Trackbender. If a curve meets your needs as Jon. says better to buy. It is notoriously difficult to get it neat at Rail Joints and I have a Massoth one for Peco 250 Rail. For my little line earlier in this thread I drew out the circle, pinned down the Copper Clad Sleepers then just bent as near as I could, getting as close as I could to the circle as I soldered the rail to the Sleepers. However this was Peco Code 100 Flat Bottom, much easier to bend that anything that we use in our normal situation.
JonD.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
As you are not able to bend right to the end, I would (if using a rail bender) trim the ends off..
I reckon you would have to cut down anyway??