Feldbahn Thoughts - Anyone Used Tighter Than R1 Curves?

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Thinking about very small layouts, Feldbahn stock and suchlike, reminded me of a question that I may have asked here before, but I think bears more discussion....

Has anyone here actually used (in 45mm gauge) any curves TIGHTER than LGB R1? I'm thinking of things like Bertram Heyn's "Radius 0" track, or the very tight circles (right down to about 12" radius I think) that Aristo (used to?) make for putting round barrels and such?

I know that LGB Feldbahn mechanisms and rolling stock will handle sub-R1 radii, though I do recall someone posting that an LGB Feldbahn Steamer could only be run bunker-first on very tight radii because of coupler lock otherwise (due to the long rear overhang caused by the rear motor position). But what is the smallest radius that a STANDARD (ie: non-Feldbahn) LGB 4-wheel chassis block will handle, ignoring any potential coupler problems for the moment?
If you have, say, a normal Stainz motor block, will it run on anything sub-R1 without excessive flange rubbing (oo-er missus....)? ;)

Any experiences with such matters welcome!

Jon.

shropshire lad

Registered
25 Jan 2010
Sunny Shropshire
Best answers
I've got a circle of Aristocraft barrel track which goes around our xmas tree. My fieldbahn steamer runs well on it in either direction pulling some fieldbahn flat wagons.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
I've got a circle of Aristocraft barrel track which goes around our xmas tree. My fieldbahn steamer runs well on it in either direction pulling some fieldbahn flat wagons.

Thanks, very useful! Is the "barrel circle" around 24" overall diameter? Ever tried running anything other than Feldbahn stock round it, would a Stainz handle it?

Jon.

shropshire lad

Registered
25 Jan 2010
Sunny Shropshire
Best answers
It's around 2 feet diameter Jon.
A Bachmann 'Percy' runs around it so I would have thought that Stainz should go around ok.

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
entwhistle2 (Small).jpg
This board is 3 ft across so this makes it about 16" radius.

NP5 (Small).jpg

A Feldbahn will also run around this layout, sorry no photos. About 7" radius.
Note, the track gauge has been widened or the loco will climb out of the track. Only running bunker first as there is too much overhang to couple.

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
I should have added that a Stainz will run around the top layout but beware overhang.

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
I had a look through my photos. This is a Bachmann tram (on USA mech) but the LGB trams are just as happy. Once again a 3 ft baseboard so about 16" radius. park22 (Small).jpg

LGB trams have run around this circuit all day at shows with no problems except clearance. The track is laid at 47mm gauge.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Am I right, all the above have 'custom' track? - Gauge widened, and looks to be a lighter section, so easier to bend?
TIA,
PhilP.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
It's around 2 feet diameter Jon.
A Bachmann 'Percy' runs around it so I would have thought that Stainz should go around ok.

Thanks! :)

Just a few more questions about it, the first reflecting Phil's question above: is the track gauge still 45mm using standard Aristo sleepers, or is is slightly widened like most of the hand-made track circles in other posts above? If it's still "standard" 45mm, I take it you have no trouble with wheel flanges trying to climb the railheads?

Lastly, how is the Aristo circle supplied, is it a full one-piece circle or is it sectional?

Jon.

PS: many thanks to all the other posters here, love the photos! That is just the kind of thing I'm thinking about.....

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
Am I right, all the above have 'custom' track? - Gauge widened, and looks to be a lighter section, so easier to bend?
TIA,
PhilP.

The track is Peco code 200 on PCB sleepers. Much easier to bend. I have used this method on quite a few small layouts. Just bend the rail roughly to size & hold it in place with panel pins whilst it is soldered.The second rail is then laid using a vernier gauge. If you try decreasing the radius on ready made track it tends to twist all over the place. Soldering everything makes the layout quite robust & tolerant of being humped about at shows.
I have found a photo of the last layout with LGB trams. It ran all day at Narrow Gauge South West with these 2.tramsPatterdale 1 - Copy.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

vsmith

G Scale indoors, O Tinplate, Micro Layouts
24 Oct 2009
Sunny So Cal
Best answers
Country flag
Angry%20Beaver%20Logging%20Pizza%20pic%2022.JPG

Personal%20Pizza%2011.jpg

Aristo craft 21" dia track

Portable%20Layout%20Redeux%20Final%2001.JPG

21" and 31" circles, all work well with Feldbahn and HLW minicars.

Reactions: 1 users

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
My little offering here is a Circuit of 15.5in Diameter to the Outside Rail. Or 7.75in Radius if you prefer. Though the Rail is Peco Code 100 Flat Bottom Soldered to Copper Clad Sleepers. If you were clever enough with either Peco 250 or LGB Rail to get this sort of Circle with a little Gauge Widening the Feldbahn would run round this Radius. Certainly I can push a LGB Steam Tram Round it, though of course the flanges do bump on the Sleepers. Just do not expect the LGB Harz 2-10-2t to go round it though!

JonD

Reactions: 1 user

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Angry%20Beaver%20Logging%20Pizza%20pic%2022.JPG

Personal%20Pizza%2011.jpg

Aristo craft 21" dia track

Portable%20Layout%20Redeux%20Final%2001.JPG

21" and 31" circles, all work well with Feldbahn and HLW minicars.

Very nice, Vic - as you have experience of the tight Aristo "barrel circles", can you answer the question of whether they are still strictly 45mm gauge or if they are slightly widened?

Jon.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Just posted a little ad in the "wants" section, as I'd really like to get hold of one of the Aristo circles (ideally the 31" type, but would consider other sizes or brands).... anyone got one they don't want, or could point me to a dealer who still has one, new or s/h?
Don't mind paying shipping from US if necessary!

Jon.

shropshire lad

Registered
25 Jan 2010
Sunny Shropshire
Best answers
Only just in from playing with big trains but I've measured my barrel track. It's actually 31 inches Jon with 45mm gauge and a Stainz runs around it without any problems.

Reactions: 1 user

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Only just in from playing with big trains but I've measured my barrel track. It's actually 31 inches Jon with 45mm gauge and a Stainz runs around it without any problems.

Thanks, that would be ideal for what I have in mind... and great to know that a standard LGB motor block will handle it!
Now just got to find one somewhere......

Jon.

Hutch

G Gauge, Raising Peaches, Apricots
1 Feb 2012
Southwest Oklahoma, USA
Best answers
Thinking about very small layouts, Feldbahn stock and suchlike, reminded me of a question that I may have asked here before, but I think bears more discussion....

Has anyone here actually used (in 45mm gauge) any curves TIGHTER than LGB R1? I'm thinking of things like Bertram Heyn's "Radius 0" track, or the very tight circles (right down to about 12" radius I think) that Aristo (used to?) make for putting round barrels and such?

I know that LGB Feldbahn mechanisms and rolling stock will handle sub-R1 radii, though I do recall someone posting that an LGB Feldbahn Steamer could only be run bunker-first on very tight radii because of coupler lock otherwise (due to the long rear overhang caused by the rear motor position). But what is the smallest radius that a STANDARD (ie: non-Feldbahn) LGB 4-wheel chassis block will handle, ignoring any potential coupler problems for the moment?
If you have, say, a normal Stainz motor block, will it run on anything sub-R1 without excessive flange rubbing (oo-er missus....)? ;)

Any experiences with such matters welcome!

Jon.

The Kitchen Christmas Tree track
is 31" and have tested other LGB and Aristo locomotives
with no problems. 24" track (no pics yet) handles HLW Mack, Marklin KOF, and Aristo Lil' Critter fine.

van5

Talyllyn Railway. I of M, Old Land Rovers
24 Jan 2010
Great Barr, Birmingham
Best answers
Country flag
I had a circle of Radius 0 from Herr Heyn for Christmas, it is superb but the webbing sleepers are fragile. Despite being very well packed three were broken in transit. I have decided to fasten the track down to a board because repeatedly connecting and disconnecting would cause more fractures.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
I had a circle of Radius 0 from Herr Heyn for Christmas, it is superb but the webbing sleepers are fragile. Despite being very well packed three were broken in transit. I have decided to fasten the track down to a board because repeatedly connecting and disconnecting would cause more fractures.

Thanks, Van - I would be very interested to know what locos and stock you are running on the R0 track, and how well they behave on it?

Bertram Heyn was at the Llanfair show last year with his tradestand, he'd brought a lot of interesting stuff but sadly very little of his track (mostly just some samples to show people what it was like) - there was a rumour going round that he MIGHT be being invited to come to G-Rail this year, which would be great news if true! If he does come over for that, or indeed for Llanfair again or any other show, it might be worth ordering stuff from him in advance so that it can be collected at the show....

Jon.