Bachmann Shay Locomotives

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for posting. I think that clip is going to get edited and used to provide a whistle sound for my 3 truck - see previous posts on this thread, bluetooth speaker, etc' :inlove:

Mcvie

Registered
25 Nov 2017
Kettle Falls, WA.
Best answers
Well. Now I can join this particular thread, because today I will order my SHAY!!! This is a long held dream to have one of these in G scale. Got a killer deal. US $290.00. Brand new with SOUND!. Only one. Man. I have to travel at the end of the week to my sister's, she's having an anyeurism repair on her aorta. I'll care for her out of the hospital. About nine days. But, when I get back, my SHAY will be here. I have a small oval of Bachmann's low end track and will run it there until spring when I'll begin building my outside run.

I've always loved how the Shay's looked running. The gearing.

So, that's my Merry Christmas gift to myself.

MCChuck

Reactions: 3 users

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
I urge you to make the next purchase the set of Hob-E-Lube lubricants. The Shay requires a serious amount of pre-running lubrication with a variety of different typrs of lube - indeed, the instruction DVD that comes with it advises you that running without due care and attention WILL severely curtail the operating life of the model. Mine, one of the very first ever sold, from a well-known large-scale dealership in San Diego, has been going strong since before the turn of the century, and that is with the original trucks, too. The reason is simple - a basic lube and care programme that is followed carefully.

Remember that when this model came out, it astounded the media with its detail and fine running characteristics - IF cared for properly.

The lube programme, carried out with regularity, will ensure that your model will last as long as mine has, so far.

tac
OVGRS.org

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Mcvie

Registered
25 Nov 2017
Kettle Falls, WA.
Best answers
Righto. I already watched the lube video on Youtube. Thanks and I will do so. I just bought a bachmann 262 for 109.00 plus ship on ebay. Great little engine. Great detailing for a non spectrum locomotive. Cheers,

McChuck

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
I urge you to make the next purchase the set of Labelle lubricants. The Shay requires a serious amount of pre-running lubrication with a variety of different typrs of lube - indeed, the instruction DVD that comes with it advises you that running without due care and attention WILL severely curtail the operating life of the model. Mine, one of the very first ever sold, from a well-known large-scale dealership in San Diego, has been going strong since before the turn of the century, and that is with the original trucks, too. The reason is simple - a basic lube and care programme that is followed carefully.

Remember that when this model came out, it astounded the media with its detail and fine running characteristics - IF cared for properly.

The lube programme, carried out with regularity, will ensure that your model will last as long as mine has, so far.

tac
OVGRS.org

Which set of Labelle lubricants are recommended?

My Shay has only been lubed with the stuff that came with it and has about 30 minutes of run time accrued but is scheduled for a lot of running in the future.

Additionally one of the plugs on a truck was not fitted when it arrived and I would like to replace it, are they still available or is there and alternative?

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
The Hob-E-Lube lube set consists of light and medium plastic-safe oils - watch out, some oil will eventually dissolve most plastics - light white grease and thick gear oil - all in one package. Some sets have darker grease too.

The Bachmann Shay does not come with any lubricants - just smoke oil.

tac

Last edited:

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Hob-e-lube make a series of plastic-compatible lubes for model trains of all kinds...

tac

Last edited:

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
My wrong - it's Hob-e-lube, not LaBelle, although LaBelle DO make a series of plastic-compatible lubes for model trains of all kinds..

tac
Attaboy - real good stuff.

I bought a couple of packs from Sandy Taylor (Scottish Garden Railways) but I'm not sure if he's re-stocked recently

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
That's my go-to lubricant company also. Labelle has not kept up with the technology in my opinion.

If you want one step above Hob-E-Lube, you can try Aero-Lube, but then it get almost twice as expensive. I do prefer the "gel" greases on gears though.

Greg

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Which set of Labelle lubricants are recommended?

My Shay has only been lubed with the stuff that came with it and has about 30 minutes of run time accrued but is scheduled for a lot of running in the future.

Additionally one of the plugs on a truck was not fitted when it arrived and I would like to replace it, are they still available or is there and alternative?

You can try Bachmann in the US - log on to Bachmanntrains.com and check out the spares situation. It's been a good while since production of the Shay was brought to a grinding halt, so all I can do is to wish you luck. Here in UK I'm always on the lookout for a spares loco that I can rob when necessary...

tac
OVGRS.org

maxi-model

27 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Pretty poor site, instead of saying what type of lube it is, it just says "Hob-E-Lube" instead of "Moly Grease", so you have to pull up the picture, which is small, to see what you are ordering.

Greg

maxi-model

27 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Pretty poor site, instead of saying what type of lube it is, it just says "Hob-E-Lube" instead of "Moly Grease", so you have to pull up the picture, which is small, to see what you are ordering.

Greg
They also don't appear to take orders direct. Rather they direct you to a list of their UK based dealers. But they don't direct you to those that stock the specific product you are wanting. Instead you have to wade through all their dealers one by one in the hope they have an up to date and clear on line e-shopping site or they will be willing to make an, economic, one off order for a non-stock line :banghead::banghead::banghead::swear: And you wonder why elements of this hobby appear to be dying a death. Well at least Woodland Scenics will take your order + shipping (+ uk end handling and taxes, possibly). In the past I have done that and very nice they are to deal with :) Max

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
They also don't appear to take orders direct. Rather they direct you to a list of their UK based dealers. But they don't direct you to those that stock the specific product you are wanting. Instead you have to wade through all their dealers one by one in the hope they have an up to date and clear on line e-shopping site or they will be willing to make an, economic, one off order for a non-stock line :banghead::banghead::banghead::swear: And you wonder why elements of this hobby appear to be dying a death. Well at least Woodland Scenics will take your order + shipping (+ uk end handling and taxes, possibly). In the past I have done that and very nice they are to deal with :) Max

Yes it's a PITA. I need to replenish some of my tubes and cannot remember from whom I purchased from last :banghead:

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I think GRS have them in stock?? - I can check Friday..

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Bachmann UK have always treated their Large scale (especially 1:20.3 scale), with a mild distaste and have tended to just direct requests for help to the US site.
But having said this, I needed some original model Climax rear of wheel contact bullets and they had some in stock and immediately sent them out for next day delivery at a very reasonable cost.
But I have heard that they just have a couple of locos that they cannibalise and if the parts aren't there they will then direct you to the US.

They do run the UK side of Bachmann on a shoestring and have not developed the website for years.

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
You can try Bachmann in the US - log on to Bachmanntrains.com and check out the spares situation. It's been a good while since production of the Shay was brought to a grinding halt, so all I can do is to wish you luck. Here in UK I'm always on the lookout for a spares loco that I can rob when necessary...

tac
OVGRS.org
Looks like a piece of electrical tape is going to be the answer to the missing plug.
Looked at the site cost of plug $1.05 plus $15.60 postage :eek: :eek: :eek:
I can get a few rolls of tape for that amount of money. :( :(