Bachmann Shay Locomotives

Thomas Lambo

RC, wood craftsmanship & culinary arts
7 Aug 2016
Southern California
Best answers
I'm getting very close to permanently laying track on my GR and I'm considering purchasing a couple more locomotives.

Can anyone comment on the quality and reliability of the Bachmann Spectrum Shay Locos. Assumptions being; level track, minimum curve diameter of 8 feet, as well as reasonable grades (under 3%). And keeping with the recommended maintenance procedures (cleaning, oil, etc).

FYI - all my locomotives will run on RC Batter Power.

Models I'm considering are: 36 Ton two truck Shay and the 55 ton three truck shay.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks, Thomas

Last edited:

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
I have a 3-truck running under DCC. Lovely loco, never had any problems with it.

General concensus is avoid the early first version 2-truck, the motor blocks were not so good and were later redesigned to what we have now.

Reactions: 1 user

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
Nice loco but make sure you get one with metal die-cast trucks not the earlier plastic ones. Check US seller ANA Kramer on Ebay, has a couple NIB on at a good price. No connection just a happy customer. Bought 3 of my Bachmanns there even though I live in UK. Max

Thomas Lambo

7 Aug 2016
Southern California
Best answers
Thanks much guys. Great tip about die-cast over plastic older version.

Question: the 2 truck Shays appear to be more expensive. ANA Kramer has 3 truck versions at a very good price. It looks like you can drop off the third truck on the 55 ton 3 truck version...can you confirm this is as easy as not plugging in the third tender/truck and disconnecting the sidewinder drive shaft, then I'd modify the tender?

I'd like to own both versions for slightly different rolling stock setups.

Last edited:

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I have the first version, and replaced the trucks.
Since then, with modest running, its been good.
They are huge.
They pull well.
They run smoothly.
Detail is a joy.
They are heavy.
Smoke units are not very good.
They take regular lubrication.
They are mechanically complex, compared to most.

Lights...can be overloaded. My firebox no longer flickers in the ash pan.

I really like mine.

They track well, even on r1.

Parts are virtually unobtainable.

They take mindful handling. They are not weather worthy at all.
Beautiful detail, mediocre polystyrene parts, easy to break, say a pilot, if it hangs up.

Given other offerings, nothing compares price-wise.

If you break something, its probably finished.

I too have eyed the 3 truck, and thought better of it, opting to spend double on a the lgb saxon mkI-not US, i know. But, will likely last decades.

They really are big, and that was a factor, but mostly, bachman service, parts (a truly nightmare to obtain , IF they have them, and, they dont muck up the order, and you dont hold for 35 minutes, etc-typical new jersey warehouse workers) and its opting out of large scale, i believe.

I have a love hate thing with bachman. Extraordinary offerings, paint, etc. if they run great. If the dont, not so great. My shay broke after twenty minutes run...really. Gears split on axels. Rather than shipping it back, i bought replacements trucks, at the time only....$89. Left a very bad taste.
But, i did buy the C19, climax, a Box car and caboose, because they are beautiful. And, thus far all running great.
Parts come off easily, most unexpectedly. Handling, running, sitting. Very delicate.

Best of luck.

Last edited:

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
I'm getting very close to laying track on my GR and I'm considering purchasing a couple more locomotives.

Can anyone comment on the quality and reliability of the Bachmann Spectrum Shay Locos. Assumptions being; level track, minimum curve diameter of 8 feet, as well as reasonable grades (under 3%). And keeping with the recommended maintenance procedures (cleaning, oil, etc).

FYI - all my locomotives will run on RC Batter Power.

Models I'm considering are: 36 Ton two truck Shay and the 55 ton three truck shay.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks, Thomas

I have the 55 ton 3 truck shay running battery power using Pololu 18V15 simple motor controller, with a 14.8V LiPo 5200 mAHr battery, using an inexpensive 2.4GHz R/C transmitter receiver combo and a soon to be installed Mylocosound card.
The lights are LED so should last for a while.
It runs around a 6ft radius part of my track with no problems, overhangs a bit but as it is on a trestle bridge doesn't look that bad.
I read on a forum either here or Large Scale Central that someone had modified a 3 truck to a 2 truck.
Looking at my model there is a small pin that holds the Universal Joint assembly onto the shaft to prevent slippage. It looks like if it is removed then the assembly slides of the shaft.
The Rear tender just unplugs but that is where I have the battery and the sound card will live. The motor controller and R/C Gear are in the coal bunker and I plan to fit the speaker in the ash pan right behind the steam motor.
I took the flicker board out as I regard it as a feature that really does not have much use, perhaps if I ran it at night it might be a pretty thing for people to ooh and ahh over but it does nothing for me.
I also scrapped the smoke unit as I feel that the smoke units in any locos do not look realistic just toy like.
I did consider making a 2 truck but after I purchased a 7 car logging consist that just looked made for it I scrapped the idea.

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
I have an original two-truck that I bought from Caboose Hobbies in Denver about a week after they got them. It has been looked after like a rich uncle, and so far those original trucks have held up without any problem. But I DO have a set of the metal ones, just in case. I got a great deal on two three-truck versions, for $600 the two, both Oregon Lumber Co, which just happens to coincide with my connection with Dick Smith's Port Orford Coast RR. That is just amazing to watch, but not as good as watching them both together...

I also have the Climax- a delicate jewel, and the Heisler - needed the mod to the drive train to stop it catching up with itself.

All of these models are complex and jewel-like and for sure we'll never see their like again, especially for the money they originally cost us. Advice to anybody is to pick up a set of the metal trucks for the Shay, and to stick firmly to the care and maintenance schedule - the 'or else' doesn't bear thinking about.

tac

Thomas Lambo

7 Aug 2016
Southern California
Best answers
Hi GAP,

Thanks for the excellent detailed information.

I'm a long time RC guy going back a couple decades so I'm right at home with setting the Locos up. I won't go into detail about my choice to use AirWire over home grown or other solutions as this subject has been discussed many times on RR forums.

I'm going to pickup 2 of the 55 Ton Shays and kit bash one of them into a 2 Truck.

And I couldn't agree more about stock smoke setups on these Locos, I'll never use the function.

Which logging consist did you purchase (a picture of your Shay pulling it would be very nice)? :)

Last edited:

Thomas Lambo

7 Aug 2016
Southern California
Best answers
Hi Tac,

I appreciate your comments and totally agree with using the term "jewel-like" on some of the Bachmann Locomotives. I've also had my eye on the Climax, so it's just a matter of time until I purchase one.

Currently I have a couple Moguls (LGB and Piko) and a few others that I'm using to test Grades and Curves on the layout, and will use the Shays for the same purpose.

Without question, tender loving care (as to a rich uncle) will be kindly given to my Locomotives and Rolling Stock :)

Last edited:

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
I've also had my eye on the Climax, so it's just a matter of time until I purchase one.

Do it, you know you want to. Climax is a lovely loco and model. And I'm sure you spotted them while looking at the Shays on Mr Kramer's site.I have one of those and the Heisler that Bachmann make.

The Climax comes with the correct height couplers to go with the Spectrum and AMS stock. The version of the 3 truck Shay I have only has the knuckles to go with their "Big Hauler" stock. I fitted a modded and sleeved Kadee to the multi height link/pin coupler blocks either end. I do not know if more recent issues of the Shay had this updated as with other locos in their range. Saves having to rig one end of a Spectrum car with the alt' lower knuckle adapter to act as a "translator" car. Then again you can hook up AMS's nice range of Link & Pin logging disconnects, flats and mining tubs. Max.

GAP

14 Jun 2011
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Hi GAP,

Thanks for the excellent detailed information.

I'm a long time RC guy going back a couple decades so I'm right at home with setting the Locos up. I won't go into detail about my choice to use AirWire over home grown as this subject has been discussed many times on RR forums.

I'm going to pickup 2 of the 55 Ton Shays and kit bash one of them into a 2 Truck.

And I couldn't agree more about stock smoke setups on these Locos, II'l never use the function.

Which logging consist did you purchase (a picture of your Shay pulling it would be very nice)? :)

I bought this via ebay from a bloke in Aust I have not seen them anywhere else after a couple of messages from him I got the impression he either scratchbuilt them or kit bashed them.
No 2 wagons are the same either in length or detail, half have knuckle couplers and half have link and pin type, I plan to swap over one coupler from the work car with one of the log cars so that each has 1 different type each end so I can either run the consist as 2 trains or one long one..
At they are carefully packed away waiting a move to my retirement place where a new empire will be built pictures when that happens 20 months and counting. tick tock.

P1030723.JPG P1030726.JPG P1030729.JPG P1030732.JPG P1030733.JPG

P1030736.JPG P1030738.JPG

Reactions: 1 users

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
I built those logging cars many years ago all based on different prototypes.

Last edited:

GAP

14 Jun 2011
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
I built those logging cars many years ago all based on different prototypes.

Well there you go, now I know who to talk to about them.
They are my pride and joy along with my Shay, in fact they were bought especially for the Shay. I do have some logs to go on them, they are dried cordyline trunks that weight less than balsa wood, but that is for the future.

Thomas Lambo

7 Aug 2016
Southern California
Best answers
Do it, you know you want to. Climax is a lovely loco and model. And I'm sure you spotted them while looking at the Shays on Mr Kramer's site.I have one of those and the Heisler that Bachmann make.

The Climax comes with the correct height couplers to go with the Spectrum and AMS stock. The version of the 3 truck Shay I have only has the knuckles to go with their "Big Hauler" stock. I fitted a modded and sleeved Kadee to the multi height link/pin coupler blocks either end. I do not know if more recent issues of the Shay had this updated as with other locos in their range. Saves having to rig one end of a Spectrum car with the alt' lower knuckle adapter to act as a "translator" car. Then again you can hook up AMS's nice range of Link & Pin logging disconnects, flats and mining tubs. Max.

Good information as usual....and I'm upgrading to Kadee on most of my rolling stock and locos.

Yup, my guess is sooner than later I'll add a Climax to the fleet.

And after I finish my current scratch build set (4 utility cars - see the link below to my 1st build) I'll begin a set of logging disconnects for one of the Shay's.

Link to build one (Water Car): https://www.gscalecentral.net/threads/semi-scratch-water-car-build.309211/

Last edited:

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
I cannot recall to whom I sold them (I think a guy in South Australia) but I built around eight or nine skeleton cars based on the Bachmann skeleton car. The stock release car scales out around 18 feet, not totally unusual, however, a company released a polyurethane extension taking the cars to a more acceptable 24 feet in length. The moulded extension replicated the timber grain and bolt/nut pattern of the Bachmann car and was an excellent product. Alas, the individual involved took a well earned break from manufacturing and may or may not have returned.

A string of logging cars represents the true essence of narrow gauge railways. At one time I had several 38 ton (steel cab) Shays, A Climax and four Heislers. I liked the Shay but as previously stated, the loco is heavy, extremely delicate and prone to failure, particularly on narrow radius curves. I decided for my peace of mind that the Shays had to go, so sold them on.

The 55-tonner three truck does have a bit of a spotted past. I would carefully search the internet. The DCC sound version had a "h.o." scale Tsunami sound decoder and would auto shutdown at normal largescale track voltages. The umbilical chord between the trucks was also prone to fail. I never purchased a three truck because simply I did not trust the product.

chris m01

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Birmingham, UK
Best answers
Country flag
I love mine. I run track power and have fitted sound.

Reactions: 4 users