8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
So, here is the reference:

look on pages 9 and 10, you will see the main board that your example is missing....

all were made in China, and you do have the early model, that did not have the DCC socket....

You have your work cut out, you will have to determine what wire is what from the wiring diagrams and use a volt meter and probably a power source.

Greg

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Yeah, Big Bertha was one such, but a bit more devious. I bought it allegedly new from Steve the Shop as he had been given an amount of surplus stock by Bachmann (at a price) from a shop that had ceased trading.

The conclusion that we came to was that the loco had been opened up, meddled with, put back togetherish and returned to the shop for a refund, and neither the shop owner nor Bachmann realised that it had been 'got at'.

(Steve and I easily came to an agreement.)
Nothing worse than being asked to fix something, and being told I"'ve not touched it, honestly" only to find that fibs have been told.

Cranford

Theatre, Model railroads, GCR
29 Jan 2010
Leicester
Best answers
Country flag
Nothing worse than being asked to fix something, and being told I"'ve not touched it, honestly" only to find that fibs have been told.
The good thing is that it is ok on analogue., I shall suggest he moves it on.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
The good thing is that it is ok on analogue., I shall suggest he moves it on.
Not sure that is the honest thing to do, some other sap then gets the problem, and appears on the forum asking the same questions.

Cranford

29 Jan 2010
Leicester
Best answers
Country flag
Not sure that is the honest thing to do, some other sap then gets the problem, and appears on the forum asking the same questions.
In no way would I advocate it being sold as dcc ready, just as a reasonably good example of the loco it is. No doubt it could be digitised or batterified but by someone who has more knowledge and time than me.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Not really a lot worse than an LGB loco, with all those black and grey wires they have in them..

If it is running on analogue, then at least everything is connected to where it should be to start.

You just have to break the installation down, and test each stage:
Identify track pickups, and motor feeds. Connect to decoder, and check operation.
Then the speaker, and you have sound. Possibly chuff sensor?
Then lighting, possibly one circuit at a time? Decision whether to swap bulbs for LEDs (if applicable).

Your satisfaction in solving the problem will be a feather in your cap.
:):nerd:

PhilP

Reactions: 1 user

Cranford

29 Jan 2010
Leicester
Best answers
Country flag
Not really a lot worse than an LGB loco, with all those black and grey wires they have in them..

If it is running on analogue, then at least everything is connected to where it should be to start.

You just have to break the installation down, and test each stage:
Identify track pickups, and motor feeds. Connect to decoder, and check operation.
Then the speaker, and you have sound. Possibly chuff sensor?
Then lighting, possibly one circuit at a time? Decision whether to swap bulbs for LEDs (if applicable).

Your satisfaction in solving the problem will be a feather in your cap.
:):nerd:

PhilP
Satisfaction would be guaranteed, no sound involved, being filament lamps should be ok just the track and trace. Not ruling out attempting doing it, would be just the time and inclination. More especially with this weather we are experiencing.

Reactions: 1 user

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Satisfaction would be guaranteed, no sound involved, being filament lamps should be ok just the track and trace. Not ruling out attempting doing it, would be just the time and inclination. More especially with this weather we are experiencing.
Bank Holiday coming..
Bound to be raining! :giggle:

PhilP