Bachmann 38 ton 2 truck shay

Cranford

Theatre, Model railroads, GCR
29 Jan 2010
Leicester
Best answers
Country flag
I have a 38 ton 2 truck shay that is dcc ready, I would appreciate some assistance regarding what decoder is available to plug in and where is it accessed. I do not have a manual for it but have looked on line and only found break downs ,not advising how to take it apart.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
I think you could find a Zimo, and there are some others in the US, which does not help you.

You might entertain getting the adapter board that plugs in and has wire pigtails and then use a decoder with screw terminals,

Greg

Brixham

No buffers were hurt at this sign
27 Aug 2010
Best answers
Country flag
I have a 38 ton 2 truck shay that is dcc ready, I would appreciate some assistance regarding what decoder is available to plug in and where is it accessed. I do not have a manual for it but have looked on line and only found break downs ,not advising how to take it apart.
There's this....

But it's for a battery dcc conversion......some bits may be useful

Malcolm

Reactions: 1 user

Cranford

29 Jan 2010
Leicester
Best answers
Country flag
There's this....

But it's for a battery dcc conversion......some bits may be useful

Malcolm
Its a starting point , thanks Malc.

Cranford

29 Jan 2010
Leicester
Best answers
Country flag
Finally accessed the main board, only 2screws, but a previous perso had completely ruined one of the screw heads which meant drilling the head off.
Once in , it is a bit of a maze of mainly black wires, nothing like the only wiring diagram I found on line for it, plus it’s supposed to be dcc ready, there is no obvious connections for a decoder. Any further advice would be helpful.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    263.2 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 0

Cranford

29 Jan 2010
Leicester
Best answers
Country flag
Picture not good, tried again

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    281.6 KB · Views: 0

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I thought the board on the bottom was for the lights and smoke. I have found the Bachmann boards inside the coal bunker.

Reactions: 1 user

Cranford

29 Jan 2010
Leicester
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for your comments, now having difficulty in removing tender body, no obvious fixing screws. ???

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for your comments, now having difficulty in removing tender body, no obvious fixing screws. ???
I think it is two under the front corners, and one from the top, under the 'filler', centre-rear.

But this is from the dim and distant recesses of my mind. :wondering:

PhilP

AlanL

Registered
1 Mar 2016
Northampton
Best answers
Country flag
Have you tried lifting the water hatch, fixing screw hidden below?

Al

Cranford

29 Jan 2010
Leicester
Best answers
Country flag
Have you tried lifting the water hatch, fixing screw hidden below?

Al

Found one screw under water hatch, someone else had tried to remove it, finally got it out, it’s only one screw the front is on lugs. Inside there are 4 wires on the board not connected to anything , 2yellow, red and black, the other 8 black wires are 2 to the rear motor and the other 6 to, I presume front motor and lights.
As can be seen absolutely nothing like the wiring in the video

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Cranford

29 Jan 2010
Leicester
Best answers
Country flag
Did you buy this new? The main board is missing.

Greg
It is not mine, a colleague asked me to fit a loco decoder, as it said on the box , dcc ready, I assumed it to be a relatively easy thing to do. He said it was new or he was told it was new. Damaged screw heads tell me differently.
I think it is an early Chinese model as it has filament lamps.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
What is on the end of all the black wires in the last photo?

Did you try to run it before you started?

PhilP

Cranford

29 Jan 2010
Leicester
Best answers
Country flag
What is on the end of all the black wires in the last photo?

Did you try to run it before you started?

PhilP
I know it’s not safe to presume anything 2 black wires go to rear motor the other 6 go to the board in pic 1. No I didn’t run it as the owner had. If the main board has been removed, as Gregg suggests it is missing, why leave the wires plugged in as they are. I have a feeling someone else has been into it and given up.
Next step is to put it back together and run it on the rolling road.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Some of us have to clean-up after them! :p:rolleyes::D

PhilP
Yeah, Big Bertha was one such, but a bit more devious. I bought it allegedly new from Steve the Shop as he had been given an amount of surplus stock by Bachmann (at a price) from a shop that had ceased trading.

The conclusion that we came to was that the loco had been opened up, meddled with, put back togetherish and returned to the shop for a refund, and neither the shop owner nor Bachmann realised that it had been 'got at'.

(Steve and I easily came to an agreement.)