Another 2017 bash

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Ok, I'll bite............
I am assuming we have a common language problem here? But here goes..

Decal / transfer

To me a decal is a (normally) self-adhesive 'label' of some type. - The backing might be clear, but definitely self-adhesive..
A transfer is normally a very thin carrier-film with the image printed on it. - Normally referenced as a water-slide transfer, as this is the method used to get the transfer from the stronger carrier / backing sheet onto the model.

Have I got this right?
PhilP.

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Yes you certainly have got it correct Phil.

I use Stan Cedarleaf for all of my 'bespoke' decals (transfers)
I got him to do this and another sheet for me recently. I did the layout and design and then sent it to him as a pdf.
The turn around was only days.

Attachments

• decals.jpg
    decals.jpg
    497.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

itsmcgee

Registered
18 Apr 2012
Spokane Washington USA
Best answers
Country flag
PhilP we are talking about water-slide transfers as you call them.
I don’t always think about the different terminology we all use from one part of the world to the other.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
PhilP we are talking about water-slide transfers as you call them.
I don’t always think about the different terminology we all use from one part of the world to the other.

Thanks for both the replies..

From my RC plane days, 'we' tended to refer to 'decals' rather loosely, as 'any sort of picture/number/embellishment' for a model, and also for something which was very much like a label (or sticker)..

Transfers, were water-slide, as they were 'transferred' from a carrier-sheet to the model.

Thinking about it:
Transfers came on a backing sheet, and Decals on a backing sheet. :rolleyes:

itsmcgee

Registered
18 Apr 2012
Spokane Washington USA
Best answers
Country flag
It's been awhile since I posted progress. As I was installing the decoder I noticed one motor was way to slow so I had to wait till the new one came in before I could go on with the build. here are the latest.
2017 decoder.jpg 2017 ready weather.jpg 2017 weather.jpg 2017 weather2.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Looking excellent! I take it that's an interface board for a plug-in decoder in the first pic? What decoder are you using?

Jon.

itsmcgee

Registered
18 Apr 2012
Spokane Washington USA
Best answers
Country flag
Actually Jon it is a Zimo MX695KV decoder upside down. I use all Zimo decoders at this time. Should be able to get it out on the layout in the next few days for a test run and some final pictures.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Actually Jon it is a Zimo MX695KV decoder upside down. I use all Zimo decoders at this time. Should be able to get it out on the layout in the next few days for a test run and some final pictures.

Ah, right! I've got three locos with Zimo decoders in them (all from Trainline45 - the green 5902 Mallet and the Pfiffi and Fiffi twins, 6101 and 6102) but they were all factory-installed, I've never put one into something myself - which is probably why I didn't recognise it! The ones I have do sound excellent, I have to say..... do you find they are pretty straightforward to install and set up?

Jon.

itsmcgee

Registered
18 Apr 2012
Spokane Washington USA
Best answers
Country flag
Yes they are Jon. I tried many others including massoth and found the Zimo (for my uses) to be superior. 90 % of what I have is sound. Since a large share is Swiss I find the sound projects by Dappen to be a delight. As a matter of fact the Pfiffi is done by Dappen. I have even pulled LGB decoders out of engines and replaced them with Zimo. As I have over 35 locos with DCC installed it is nice to have the consistency for programing.

Bill Barnwell

Registered
30 Sep 2017
Ormond Beach, Fl
Best answers
Country flag
I've done 3 either with 2017,2015 or 2020, turn out nice and run great, Bill, like the euro look

daveyb

badger tickling, sheep worrying
25 Oct 2009
nr st andews scotch land
Best answers
Country flag
all i know is i would be really pleased if anything i attempted turned out as well as these pair of locos,,,

good stuff,,,,,