Adding DCC to a Bachmann g scale trolley (the United traction one)

HimRail23

Registered
9 Mar 2022
Canada
Best answers
The loco has clearly been messed with, notice the diodes with full length leads, not insulated and one cold/broken joint on the diode on the left.

Is there any chance to return the decoder and get a more appropriate one? Are you experienced with soldering?
Well this one I think was brand new, though I have another one that has definitely been tampered with, one of the footplates is broken, 2 poles at the end of the trolley are missing, and the remaining ones are glued on, with the soldering also being not professionally done.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Uhh... hard for me to believe that wiring is stock. But it does not matter, it is what it is, bad solder joints and all.

Onwards, have you any option to get a more suitable decoder?

And asking again, how are your electrical and soldering skills? (just to get a calibration on what to recommend in forthcoming questions)

Greg

HimRail23

Registered
9 Mar 2022
Canada
Best answers
Well I can solder properly so that it isn’t faulty or anything I have managed to solder the wires on my other trolley

HimRail23

Registered
9 Mar 2022
Canada
Best answers
Uhh... hard for me to believe that wiring is stock. But it does not matter, it is what it is, bad solder joints and all.

Onwards, have you any option to get a more suitable decoder?

And asking again, how are your electrical and soldering skills? (just to get a calibration on what to recommend in forthcoming questions)

Greg
Well now I understand what kind of decoder I need, and I have one of those on another train

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Where I was going is if your soldering skills are good, then I'd try to use the decoder if there are other advantages, but it's designed to plug in and I would use a screw terminal decoder myself.

Greg

Mohawk Valley

Registered
11 Feb 2023
Coventry UK
Best answers
Country flag
Mine looked very much like that, a very unprofessional job, but I think it was original.
I’m not sure if it’s been mentioned, but for around £3.50, Illuminated Models sell a lovely and simple to solder up 21 pin decoder board. You have to solder wires to a smallish pad, which is really self explaintory and the decoder simply plugs into it. It’s like a small motherboard. I used them a lot when I was working with o scale. You can get them on eBay.
Illuminated Models AL-13.

Attachments

• B665EE9A-88A4-4F4F-B4F5-E23DFCFD867C.jpeg
    B665EE9A-88A4-4F4F-B4F5-E23DFCFD867C.jpeg
    418.3 KB · Views: 0
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Not trying to find fault, but there should have been holes drilled into the connection pads.... by soldering a wire to the surface of a pad, there is no mechanical connection before soldering, which over time will fracture the solder connection.

In smaller scales with small diameter, very flexible wire, not so bad, but in larger scales, a no no in basic soldering techniques.

Greg

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
Plenty of room underneath for a G scale decoder.Photo 8 (Medium).jpg