Adding DCC to a Bachmann g scale trolley (the United traction one)

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
I am sure there was something there yesterday.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Perhaps someone has driven it away, Jimmy?
:giggle:

HimRail23

Registered
9 Mar 2022
Canada
Best answers
I actually have a roco Z21 digital starter set so i was thinking if i could fit the decoder on the tram and then use the Z21 to run the tram and a few other consists.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I actually have a roco Z21 digital starter set so i was thinking if i could fit the decoder on the tram and then use the Z21 to run the tram and a few other consists.
Z21 will run a low powered Tram quite happily, you may run into problems if you have a lot more on line sucking power with lights, others running, sound burbling away etc. I just the other day used my Z21 to do some chip changes to a Piko Sound fitted 218 diesel with 2 motors and it ran quite happily on test on the workbench.

HimRail23

Registered
9 Mar 2022
Canada
Best answers
Thanks for the advice, though I would also like to know how you could fit it on the tram since the wiring is quite simple and I don’t see a place where a decoder could fit.

HimRail23

Registered
9 Mar 2022
Canada
Best answers
Here is all of the electric stuff

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    343 KB · Views: 0

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
If converting the Bachmann trolley to DCC I would also swap out the Bachmann motor for a USA train motor block or LGB. Add weight and now that trolley can pull several cars.

HimRail23

Registered
9 Mar 2022
Canada
Best answers
So I was also wondering how your supposed to wire this decoder to something so simple as that trolley

Attachments

• 80C35400-09C3-461D-BEC9-8E0550ED670D.jpeg
    80C35400-09C3-461D-BEC9-8E0550ED670D.jpeg
    12.6 KB · Views: 1

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
So I was also wondering how your supposed to wire this decoder to something so simple as that trolley
You certainly would have been better off with a screw terminal fitted chip. However I think you could possibly mount the chip in the clerestory (taking care that it does not short out on any lighting wires or strips there) then run wires through a black straw to it from the wires below. You then need to have LGB push connectors soldered to those wires, these will push onto the relevant spigots. Before you test also add some heat shrink to the wire ends, make it tight fit size so that it pushes on without shrinking.

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
The Bachmann trolley, does not have pins on the block..
A decoder with screw-terminals, or wire 'tails' would certainly be easier. - Soldering to the pads below the 21 pin connector, requires a delicate touch, to avoid shorts between Pins..

PhilP

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
A decoder with screw-terminals, or wire 'tails' would certainly be easier. - Soldering to the pads below the 21 pin connector, requires a delicate touch, to avoid shorts between Pins..

PhilP
I was talking about the decoder pins, hence the application of heat shrink.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
The loco has clearly been messed with, notice the diodes with full length leads, not insulated and one cold/broken joint on the diode on the left.

Is there any chance to return the decoder and get a more appropriate one? Are you experienced with soldering?

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
The loco has clearly been messed with, notice the diodes with full length leads, not insulated and one cold/broken joint on the diode on the left.

Is there any chance to return the decoder and get a more appropriate one? Are you experienced with soldering?
Mine looked very much like that, a very unprofessional job, but I think it was original.

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Mine looked very much like that, a very unprofessional job, but I think it was original.
Agreed..
Part of the reason they come up as 'spare or repair'.

The plastics used, leave a lot to be desired, as well..

PhilP

HimRail23

Registered
9 Mar 2022
Canada
Best answers

Philip
Oh yeah I remember those I once bought a LGB rack loco and it had one of those