What Sound System To Use In A USA Trains SD70 Mac ????

Richie

Rio Grande Railroad , Mountain biking , Gardening
24 Oct 2009
Albrighton West Midlands
Best answers
Ding Dong :D
Have never heard of that before Chris.

paul delany

Registered
30 Mar 2018
Dublin Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
A Phoenix board will give you an authentic sound. - Loads of volume to annoy the neighbours!
They come as a kit, with more-or-less all you need..
There is a battery to keep sound going whilst stationery.
Normally two reed switches for either 'chuff' or 'effect' triggering.
The last few I have had, have not had magnets in with them, but these were for diesel loco's.
A volume control switch. - Centre off, you hold it one way to increase, the other to decrease the volume.. Let go when you get to the right level.
You can purchase with the correct soundfile already loaded, or get a 'blank' unit and have it programmed. - You would not want to invest in the programming dongle for just one install. I could program it for you if you get stuck.
A Massoth would work, but they are really designed for DCC control, IMHO. - You can add switches to trigger some things if you wish. Again you would need to purchase with the correct sounds loaded, or load them with the infamous PC Module! - I have one of them too.

The other makes you mention I have no experience of. Someone will come along this evening no doubt..
PhilP.
Hi me again I see you had a post on the sd70mac?? Windered if I could get your advice please?

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Hi me again I see you had a post on the sd70mac?? Windered if I could get your advice please?
What are you after?
You could send a PM, if you prefer?

PhilP

Moonraker

Registered
25 Oct 2009
South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
There is another option now. The MyLocoSound US diesel soundcard contains the SD-70 engine, horn and bell plus other sounds like "All aboard". It is much lower cost than Phoenix. Contact Del Tapparo at G Scale Graphics in Colorado for details.

Regards
Peter Lucas
MyLocoSound

LGB333

TRADER
15 Feb 2015
McLean Virginia
www.olddominionrailways.com
Best answers
Country flag
Most brand DCC sound decoders can also operate on DC analog power, but you will only get the basic running sounds and most need reed switches connected to activate the bell and whistle/horn. Soundtraxx Tsunami2 DCC sound decoders don't have a reed switch function but you can program various sounds to activate automatically using a DCC system, e.g., bell, whistle, etc. Also, as someone already stated, you need to connect the applicable brand power caps to the DCC decoder (Massoth, LGB 65000 series Sound Module) to get the maximum sound features when operating in DC analog, e.g., locomotive start up and stopping standing sounds, whistle activation, etc). I also install the ESU LokSound 5XL DCC/DC sound decoders in LGB locomotives as my favorite sound decoder due to their outstanding sound fidelity, sound features (30 F Keys), and expansive sounds library. Unfortunately, the reed switch function does not work properly on these decoders so that rules them out for locomotives that only operate on DC analog power. So that gave me only Massoth, LGB 65000 Sound Module, and Soundtraxx Tsunami2 TSU-4400 DCC/DC sound decoders as options for locomotives with DC analog power only. The Soundraxx decoders are a bear to set up the automatic sounds for using DC analog, about 30 CVs to program!

But now that Phoenix Sound is back in business after a three year lapse with their newly produced PB22 DCC/DC sound-only decoders, I prefer using their decoders as the best option when converting an LGB locomotive to sound when the hobbyist operates only in DC analog. They only need to be connected to track power on your locomotive or installed into an LGB Mogul's tender using the track power pickup terminals. The PB11/17/22 sound decoders have excellent sound quality and excellent sound features even in DC power mode. And the sound features, loudness, chuff rate, etc, can be adjusted using their Phoenix PC Programming Module that works with a PC and DC power to the decoder. I have both the PB22 Kit (decoder, rechargeable battery, data port, volume control, and speaker) and individual PB22 decoders on my Website now available for USA hobbyists. I will install any of the available sound files on the decoder for the hobbyist......note Phoenix is still in the process of updating some of their existing sound files for use on the new PB22 boards, so not all sound files on their library are available. I've used the PB11 and PB17 sound decoders successfully in numerous LGB locomotive DC analog sound conversions for many years, and only last month finally became a Phoenix retailer.

Last edited:

paul delany

Registered
30 Mar 2018
Dublin Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Most brand DCC sound decoders can also operate on DC analog power, but you will only get the basic running sounds and most need reed switches connected to activate the bell and whistle/horn. Soundtraxx Tsunami2 DCC sound decoders don't have a reed switch function but you can program various sounds to activate automatically using a DCC system, e.g., bell, whistle, etc. Also, as someone already stated, you need to connect the applicable brand power caps to the DCC decoder (Massoth, LGB 65000 series Sound Module) to get the maximum sound features when operating in DC analog, e.g., locomotive start up and stopping standing sounds, whistle activation, etc). I also install the ESU LokSound 5XL DCC/DC sound decoders in LGB locomotives as my favorite sound decoder due to their outstanding sound fidelity, sound features (30 F Keys), and expansive sounds library. Unfortunately, the reed switch function does not work properly on these decoders so that rules them out for locomotives that only operate on DC analog power. So that gave me only Massoth, LGB 65000 Sound Module, and Soundtraxx Tsunami2 TSU-4400 DCC/DC sound decoders as options for locomotives with DC analog power only. The Soundraxx decoders are a bear to set up the automatic sounds for using DC analog, about 30 CVs to program!

But now that Phoenix Sound is back in business after a three year lapse with their newly produced PB22 DCC/DC sound-only decoders, I prefer using their decoders as the best option when converting an LGB locomotive to sound when the hobbyist operates only in DC analog. They only need to be connected to track power on your locomotive or installed into an LGB Mogul's tender using the track power pickup terminals. The PB11/17/22 sound decoders have excellent sound quality and excellent sound features even in DC power mode. And the sound features, loudness, chuff rate, etc, can be adjusted using their Phoenix PC Programming Module that works with a PC and DC power to the decoder. I have both the PB22 Kit (decoder, rechargeable battery, data port, volume control, and speaker) and individual PB22 decoders on my Website now available for USA hobbyists. I will install any of the available sound files on the decoder for the hobbyist......note Phoenix is still in the process of updating some of their existing sound files for use on the new PB22 boards, so not all sound files on their library are available. I've used the PB11 and PB17 sound decoders successfully in numerous LGB locomotive DC analog sound conversions for many years, and only last month finally became a Phoenix retailer.
Ok I need to read and digest all your info a few times,thankyou for your detailed reply

LGB333

TRADER
15 Feb 2015
McLean Virginia
Best answers
Country flag
Ok I need to read and digest all your info a few times,thankyou for your detailed reply
If you want to just go with a very basic and inexpensive DC Analog sound module that easy to install, I have available ($60) the Modell-land.de 81202055 US Alco Sound Module. They may still have some available at Modell-land.de. These are made by MD-Electronics in Germany.

81102087.webp

81102087_auswahl81102087_auswahl81102087_auswahl

Description:​

1. Features
  • Serial and parallel control
  • Digital and analogue operation with automatic detection
  • Compatible with NMRA DCC and LGB® MZS (all generations)
  • Clock function (clock generator required for operation)
  • Reed Switch Contact Inputs
  • Built-in voltage buffer connection for uninterrupted operation
  • Reset function for all CV values
  • 6-channel sound playback (up to 6 sounds simultaneously)
  • 3 Watt amplifier power amplifier for 8 Ohm speakers
  • Sound memory for over 2 minutes
  • 4 driving noises and 12 background noises available
  • 16 kHz sound processing
  • Volume control via potentiometer (accessory)
  • Sound function can also be used analogue
  • Sound/F keys can be assigned via CV

LGB333

TRADER
15 Feb 2015
McLean Virginia
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Mike & Gavin
I have checked out Sandy Taylor's web site and found the Phoenix sound but no prices are shown have emailed him to give me a price looks like he also adds the sound free of charge .

On my PA1 loco Mike the sound traxx board is inside the loco but i can just about get excess to the buttons on the board through one of the side doors that open .
You'll have a challenge finding a Phoenix PB11 anyplace unless some dealer in the UK has old stock. The PB11 was replaced by the PB17 some years ago, and now the newest version just released this year by Phoenix is the PB22, their upgraded DC/DCC sound-only board. They are no more expensive that the Massoth XLS sound decoders, at least here in the USA. I sell the PB22 complete Kit for $245 and individual board only $195. I sell the Massoth XLS for $200. So it's a wash on price. Go to my Website's DCC/DC Decoders Page to check out the information about the new PB22: Buy DCC Sound Decoders at Old Dominion Railways I also have a video posted there of the setup and testing of a PB22 using the Phoenix Computer Interface Program after loading the K28 Mikado steamer sound file.........beautiful sounds!

I've installed many Phoenix sound decoders into customers' LGB locomotives over the years, mosting into LGB Mogul's tenders to replace failed old factory analog boards. I consider the Phoenix boards the best option for LGB hobbyists who only operate on DC analog......the Phoenix boards have an excellent sound library most with excellent quality sounds, and the decoders put out more individual sounds that are automatically triggered than any of the other brand decoders I install and sell for DC analog use (Massoth; ESU; Soundtraxx; Marklin MSD3; LGB 65000-series Sound Modules). I have no experience with G Scale Graphics boards so I can't comment on them. And for $85, you can buy the Phoenix Computer Interface Kit to install the Phoneix Program on your Windows PC/Laptop with its USB cable connected to the decoder and using DC 12 - 24 volts to power the board (they can handle up to 30 volts), you can install any of the Phoenix sound files, and make adjustments to all of the individual sounds (volume, frequency of activation, turn on and off, chuff rate, etc, etc). If you buy from a USA Dealer, it appears you can get a better price without paying your country's VAT fee, but maybe you'll then pay an inport tax fee......so whichever is the better economical approach. Phoenix just released the PB22 in April after the company being basically dormant for a couple years, and maybe dealers in the UK haven't gotten any of these new, upgraded boards in stock yet?

I've attached the Phoenix PB22 Installation Manual for those interested in seeing how to hook one up.

Attachments

• PB22_Manual_web.pdf
    805.2 KB · Views: 0