What sort of load will a receiver take.

collectors

Registered
16 Apr 2022
Norfolk UK
www.chrismorris.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Hi, any ideas on what sort of load will a receiver take. IE: if I had a receiver with a latching facility & an AUX outlet, how many LEDs could I run. Or am I just better to fit
a latching relay. ?? Thanks

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
That depends very much on the receiver..
Also, you may find (directionally switched) outputs on the ESC, if you are using a separate speed controller.

Many receivers will directly drive LEDs, but the outputs are normally 'logic-level' directly from the microprocessor.
This means you will be limited to the amount of current you can draw, from these outouts: commonly, 12-20mA per output.
BUT.. There is a caveat, that the regulator built into the receiver, may be limited to how much total current it can supply.

The likes of the combined receiver/controllers supplied specifically for use in model trains etc. Quite often have 'reinforced' outputs, where the logic signal switches a FET (a transistor switch).
Each of these outputs can often switch, up to, 2A.
BUT.. Due to the size of the tracks on the receiver PCB, and heat issues, you are normally limited in the total current, to around 3A.

If you can be specific about your requirements, we can do the calculations, and offer specific advice.

PhilP

collectors

Registered
16 Apr 2022
Norfolk UK
www.chrismorris.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Ah! Thanks, Phil. i have lots of spare room, so, I think for the price a relay will be safer. LINK

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Be aware that these are 'servo switches' and need an output pin configured to drive a servo..

If you are using a Deltang / RC Trains / Micron receiver, then you can use a smaller FET switch, to convert a 'P' output..
This is a dual (two channel) unit:
16536527043264139628927476620042.jpg
They are supplied with wires already attached! :nerd::)

PhilP

Reactions: 1 user