Type of water for steam boilers.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Good point Jimmy, I retract my statement as it was indeed only 1 month ago....

but as evidenced by my post with multiple links to multiple threads, there are MANY discussions here easy to find, my post (#9) lists EIGHT threads on the subject.

This is a great forum and it is a great resource, and the search function does indeed work well.
Greg, very true, it does seem the question on "what type of water for a steam loco" comes up regularly and the OPs do not seem to search for previous similar questions. It would seem that this type of repetitive question annoys some of the forum members.
I know we can pin posts, but maybe we need an index or something similar :)

JimmyB

23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
Best answers
Country flag
Like a FAQ's section, with links to all the posts on that FAQ?

I think that would be helpful myself.

Greg
Greg, yes something like that, a list of subjects and links to the appropriate threads would possibly be easiest.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
If you put a title in, it usually comes up with "similar suggestions", but if anyone is unsure of the process, I suppose it's easier to just ask the questions again.

ol_hogger

Registered
23 Jul 2021
Germany
Country
Germany
Best answers
Am I mistaken, or did I miss something? There was very little information as to the initial rather focused question on how to filter rain water properly - coffee filters, one or two times, I remember. Are there alternatives?

(I do feel guilty having contributed very broadly about water where the topic would have been "reverse-osmosis". You want to make a live steamer talk, ask about water ...)

JimmyB

23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
Best answers
Country flag
Am I mistaken, or did I miss something? There was very little information as to the initial rather focused question on how to filter rain water properly - coffee filters, one or two times, I remember. Are there alternatives?

(I do feel guilty having contributed very broadly about water where the topic would have been "reverse-osmosis". You want to make a live steamer talk, ask about water ...)
Filter paper, scientific could be used, but coffee filter papers are easy come by, why would you want an alternative KISS

ol_hogger

Registered
23 Jul 2021
Germany
Country
Germany
Best answers
Thank you, JimmyB.

Question is: If it's so simple, why did it take #27 contributions and the risk of hurting feelings to find out?

ol_hogger

Registered
23 Jul 2021
Germany
Country
Germany
Best answers
Please delete, pressed wrong button, sorry.

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Just as long as everyone avoids using water from melted yellow snow.

David

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Trouble is so many people think that Tap Water is ok cos they do not know better ( no insult implued), if you see lots of white gunge in your kettle do not use tap water. Just imagine that in your puffer boiler and small pipe runs.

ol_hogger

Registered
23 Jul 2021
Germany
Country
Germany
Best answers
Right. SW stated that right from the start. All she asked was whether coffee filters are the proper way to prepare rain water.

Northsider

Modelling the Northern half of the Isle of Man
3 May 2012
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that water from a condensing tumble drier is scented with whatever washing powder one uses, whereas filtered rainwater does not. I have recently changed from the former to the latter and no longer have the Rowland Emmett-like sense of a floral loco exhaust...

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag