Trams: Is There Much Tramway Interest On Here??

Greg Swartz

Registered
30 Dec 2017
Round Rock, TX, USA
Best answers
Yes, we here in Melbourne did not like to get rid of our trams - like many, or most, cities worldwide - and we still like to 'not get rid of them'. They might come in handy one day !

Bless you!! I'm still a huge fan of the rattle-traps (W6) and still remember my last ride on one over 10 years ago. I'm but a mere seppie married to a lovely Aussie lass living in, um, Texas.
Even I can't explain it, but I absolutely love the old W6's and am trying desperately to see if they have ever been represented in G-scale, well, at all. I found a few ...ok... representations on HO, but they will just sit on a shelf. Searched all the hobby shops I could find down under, with no luck. Heck, I'm a G-man. OK... I bought the HO piece (sitting on a shelf), but it doesn't do the W6 justice.

Anyone, anywhere, heard tell of an Aussie W6 in G-scale?

Rowan Bravington

Registered
9 May 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Best answers
Bless you!! I'm still a huge fan of the rattle-traps (W6) and still remember my last ride on one over 10 years ago. I'm but a mere seppie married to a lovely Aussie lass living in, um, Texas.
Even I can't explain it, but I absolutely love the old W6's and am trying desperately to see if they have ever been represented in G-scale, well, at all. I found a few ...ok... representations on HO, but they will just sit on a shelf. Searched all the hobby shops I could find down under, with no luck. Heck, I'm a G-man. OK... I bought the HO piece (sitting on a shelf), but it doesn't do the W6 justice.

Anyone, anywhere, heard tell of an Aussie W6 in G-scale?
I have made some enquiries however two hobby shops here in Melbourne say they are not aware of any G scale W6 Class in production.
Scratch build?

Greg Swartz

Registered
30 Dec 2017
Round Rock, TX, USA
Best answers
That's what I was figuring, though I have little experience in a scratch build. And to hinder matters, I'm hip-deep in a Raspberry Pi/DCC++ build.
I was hoping there was enough interest that one representation would have been modeled. Strange that it has not. Heck, just saw in Fine Scale Modeler that there are new 1/24 scale models released for a "Subaru Legacy GT touring wagon" and a 1/25th "Gremlin X from AMT". The "yawn" factor on both of these cars defies their replication.
I do not hope to ever understand human behavior.

Reactions: 1 user

Rowan Bravington

Registered
9 May 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Best answers
That's what I was figuring, though I have little experience in a scratch build. And to hinder matters, I'm hip-deep in a Raspberry Pi/DCC++ build.
I was hoping there was enough interest that one representation would have been modeled. Strange that it has not. Heck, just saw in Fine Scale Modeler that there are new 1/24 scale models released for a "Subaru Legacy GT touring wagon" and a 1/25th "Gremlin X from AMT". The "yawn" factor on both of these cars defies their replication.
I do not hope to ever understand human behavior.
I too had an interest in Raspberry Pi, but health issues have put all that way way on the back burner. As well I have come to suspect that it is all too complicated, or that explanations I have seen thus far tend to over complicate the matter.

Melbournesparks

Registered
30 Sep 2015
City of Eltham
Best answers
Country flag
Building a W5 or W6 in 1:24 scale has been a priority for me for a while now, once the current tram projects are complete. I was thinking about laser cut plywood for all the main asemblies, it's the sort of tram that really lends itself to that type of construction. If there was a bit of interest out there it may be possible to design it as at least a partial kit, laser cut plywood is not particularly expensive, and there's a certain economy of scale. This is still a few months in the future, but I'll post about it if I make some progress.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
I too had an interest in Raspberry Pi, but health issues have put all that way way on the back burner. As well I have come to suspect that it is all too complicated, or that explanations I have seen thus far tend to over complicate the matter.
Yes, too much raspberry pi is bad for the waistline:rofl::rofl:

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, too much raspberry pi is bad for the waistline:rofl::rofl:

You always need two pies...

Something to do with getting all the bytes and nibbles in! :nerd::giggle::giggle::giggle:

Reactions: 1 users

Greg Swartz

Registered
30 Dec 2017
Round Rock, TX, USA
Best answers

Well, I hope the health issues get rectified for you with a positive outcome! And I do agree that the explanations for the RPi stuff tend to appear a bit complicated. I think much of that has to do with it being new, and also such a versatile platform that explanations tend to be detailed since there is no "only one way" that things can happen when using it. But I also remember that DCC was considered complicated not many years ago (and might remain so to some folks... ) but has become second nature to many in the hobby.

I did just post on my progress over in the DCC forum on using a few RPi Zero W (~$10 each) processor boards, using one as an access point and the other as the computer to run JMRI and talk to a SPROG II unit. I was able to control trains with an app on my phone (WiThrottle) and I did no wiring at all. Only downloaded a few OS images. The SPROG II unit doesn't have the current capacity to run large-scale trains, so my current project is to create a DCC++ (open platform) Command Station with enough current and voltage capacity to run my trains (18-22V, 5-6A). Anyway... way off thread subject, so I do apologize.

Maybe as a way to get back on thread would be to see if anyone Melbourne-based could make a few recordings of W6's while it is still possible. All the rattles, creaks, and groans are quite unique to the W6 and what (in my mind, at least) make up its character! If we are going to attempt to create a model of the W6, having the unique sounds would put the project over the top!!

Greg Swartz

Registered
30 Dec 2017
Round Rock, TX, USA
Best answers
Building a W5 or W6 in 1:24 scale has been a priority for me for a while now, once the current tram projects are complete. I was thinking about laser cut plywood for all the main asemblies, it's the sort of tram that really lends itself to that type of construction. If there was a bit of interest out there it may be possible to design it as at least a partial kit, laser cut plywood is not particularly expensive, and there's a certain economy of scale. This is still a few months in the future, but I'll post about it if I make some progress.

In my recent response to Rowan, I hope you can feel my enthusiasm and interest in the W6! Please count me in! Just a poor seppie here, but married a gal from Warragul, and my first trips into Melbourne were back in '96 when I went out to meet the family. Those beautiful green and yellow trams are burned in my memory as a unique part of Melbourne.

Rowan Bravington

Registered
9 May 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Best answers
I would be interested, subject to my usual excuse of ‘health’... however I will be following this topic closely.

Rowan Bravington

Registered
9 May 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Best answers
In my recent response to Rowan, I hope you can feel my enthusiasm and interest in the W6! Please count me in! Just a poor seppie here, but married a gal from Warragul, and my first trips into Melbourne were back in '96 when I went out to meet the family. Those beautiful green and yellow trams are burned in my memory as a unique part of Melbourne.
Warragul!!!
I was born in Warragul and raised on a diary farm 6 miles from the town. Our farm was on the branch line between Warragul and Noojee, at a siding between the stations of Buln Buln and Rokeby. The siding was officially known as Bravington... my family name. I often wonder how many others have railway sidings or stations named after them.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Warragul!!!
I was born in Warragul and raised on a diary farm 6 miles from the town. Our farm was on the branch line between Warragul and Noojee, at a siding between the stations of Buln Buln and Rokeby. The siding was officially known as Bravington... my family name. I often wonder how many others have railway sidings or stations named after them.
Totally off Thread. My name is Dunford and of course Dunford Bridge (near Pennistone) fits the bill nicely for me. Station now long gone but locality still named after me! One of my many nicknames on the Railway was "Woodhead" as that was the pass through which the Railway passed.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Warragul!!!
Oh to be christened Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwillllantysiliogogogoch:rofl::rofl:

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
A 35mm colour negative of the vintage wooden train waiting to depart from the terminus at Palma for Soller on the island of Mallorca, October 2003.

Neg 174 - 16[1].jpg

David

Reactions: 6 users

schienenkönig

I'm a tram enthusiast and have made trams Scale G
4 May 2014
Wuppertal
Country
Germany
www.schwebebahn-wtal.de
Best answers
Country flag
Just found it on my computer. Made in summer last year. It is a friends layout. He runs some Harz trains and he ownes 4 Lgb trams. I was envited to come with my trams. So we placed them at his corner station.

Attachments

• IMGA0122.JPG
    IMGA0122.JPG
    677.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
An OcCre 1/24th tram kit of a1903 Class B London Tram among a display of trams by Keith Lambert at the G Scale Society Solent Local Area Group bi-annual exhibition, Wickham, Hampshire 4.11.2017

dig 171104010[1].JPG

David

Reactions: 1 users

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
An OcCre 1/24th tram kit of a1903 Class B London Tram among a display of trams by Keith Lambert at the G Scale Society Solent Local Area Group bi-annual exhibition, Wickham, Hampshire 4.11.2017

View attachment 234514

David
I am in the Very Slow Process of bashing one of those Ocre LCC Cars into a look a bit like a Wilkinson MBRO Steam Tramway Trailer Car.
image.jpeg
Other more interesting projects just keep on getting in the way. Whoever did the build of the one in your pic made a very fine job of it David.