The Granitbahn - G Scale in Aberdeenshire, Scotland

Granitbahn

Chris Bird & Jo Chapman
5 Dec 2022
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
In sub-zero temperatures and Alpine conditions following a heavy snowfall on Monday 6th March 2023, a Bernina railcar completes a full circuit of the Granitbahn. Much thawing out required following this expedition :)

61F1A64B-DD09-4E58-9222-8EB00DB0A136.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user

steinman

Comfortably Numb
24 Oct 2009
Cleveleys, Blackpool
Best answers
Country flag
Absolutely fantastic, what a great video and brilliant railway with a terrific backdrop , the conditions make it looks like the real thing , thanks for posting :)

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Utterly brilliant

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Lovely, but I feel cold now :rofl:

Software Tools

Registered
18 Jan 2013
Sydney, Australia
Best answers
Country flag
I've often wondered whether the LGB ABe 4/4 snow plow blades would actually do any good in any level of real snowfall. Living in a temperate climate I have never had a chance to find out, but NOW I know

NCS from Qbyn

Registered
29 Apr 2016
Queanbeyan, Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Absolutely fantastic, what a great video and brilliant railway with a terrific backdrop , the conditions make it looks like the real thing , thanks for posting :)
This was a good watch.
However, while watching, a question came into my head. Is this running on track power or battery?
If it is track power, does the snow over the track not conduct electricity and cause a short circuit - the same way bridging the rails with a piece of metal would? For that matter, if the track were covered with water, would not that also short it out? Or do snow and/or water not conduct electricity?
I mean if you were unlucky enough to drop a powered up hair drier into your bath, the results could be catastrophic, so why not water or snow completely over the track? I guess I could be missing something here? Just curious.

[its not the sort of thing I would like to test out on my track! I have had bad experiences with bits of stray metal - once in an LGB level crossing - which had a metal rod running under the track at right angles - until I twigged what was going on and removed it!! - the metal rod, that is. Indeed, I think I may have removed the whole crossing - it was many years ago and I remember the problem, but not the solution. I used to have several of these crossings - the ones that are closed by the weight of the approaching loco. I only have two now, and I suspect the rods have been removed. The things don't automatically open and close anymore, but they make nice track furniture!:D]

Last edited:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
This was a good watch.
However, while watching, a question came into my head. Is this running on track power or battery?
If it is track power, does the snow over the track not conduct electricity and cause a short circuit - the same way bridging the rails with a piece of metal would? For that matter, if the track were covered with water, would not that also short it out? Or do snow and/or water not conduct electricity?
I mean if you were unlucky enough to drop a powered up hair drier into your bath, the results could be catastrophic, so why not water or snow completely over the track? I guess I could be missing something here? Just curious.

[its not the sort of thing I would like to test out on my track! I have had bad experiences with bits of stray metal - once in an LGB level crossing - which had a metal rod running under the track at right angles - until I twigged what was going on and removed it!! - the metal rod, that is. Indeed, I think I may have removed the whole crossing - it was many years ago and I remember the problem, but not the solution. I used to have several of these crossings - the ones that are closed by the weight of the approaching loco. I only have two now, and I suspect the rods have been removed. The things don't automatically open and close anymore, but they make nice track furniture!:D]
I would not wish to forestall Granitbahn Granitbahn ’s answer, but I have run both DCC and analogue in the snow with no problems so long as the track is clean.

In days gone by a Model Railway Club aquaintance of mine had a layout at a show where Analogue track powered locomotives passed through a sort of goldfish bowl, track under the water with no running issues. I would suggest keeping the mains unit well clear if you wish to test this out. However his biggest problem was that some nut dumped a goldfish in the water and he had the issue of dealing with said (still living) goldfish in a non lethal way at the end of the show. Perhaps he dumped it in the Ouse in York closeby, never found out.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
This was a good watch.

My understanding that clean water does not conduct electricity well, in fact in the modelling challenge series, one layout ran track through water.

Granitbahn

Chris Bird & Jo Chapman
5 Dec 2022
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
This was a good watch.

Good question and thanks for watching. I’m running on 12A 18V track power. The Massoth central station is very good at dealing with short circuits and when they happen (typically derailments at points) the system shuts down and I’ve never experienced any damage. Snow and ice cover has never interfered with operation, primarily because both are poor conductors of electricity due to the presence of air in snow and the lack of mobile ions in both. If you were to add salt to try and melt any ice cover, this would increase the number of mobile ions and then you might create a problem.
So in snow and ice, as long as the railheads are visible, running should not be compromised. I guess if the entire track was under water, the system just would not operate, but on such days I’d be more worried about the house flooding which, sadly, has happened!

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Water and electricity, a bit of a myth TBH.Whilst I certainly would not recommend putting an electrical appliance in your bath, the chances are it would just damage to appliance, of course nowadays it will trip the RCD. I have been in flooded cellars where the main 3 phase incoming service has been completely under sewerage, and the power still happily working away. Unlike, in one case, the clot who didn't replace the inspection cap on the sewer pipe. Mind you we got premium rates for working on it. Time and a turd.

miniboB

Registered
6 Mar 2020
Union Grove
Best answers
Country flag
In sub-zero temperatures and Alpine conditions following a heavy snowfall on Monday 6th March 2023, a Bernina railcar completes a full circuit of the Granitbahn. Much thawing out required following this expedition :)

View attachment 310998

Wonderful video!! Love the way your railway crosses the creek/brook several times1 A+++++