Soleirolia solerolii 'Mind Your Own Business' after a dry spell.

railwayman198

Registered
24 Oct 2009
East London
Best answers
Country flag
When cool and damp this plant produces a rich green ground cover but the recent hot dry spell gives a completely different look. I rather like it.
IMGP1000(2).jpg

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
When cool and damp this plant produces a rich green ground cover but the recent hot dry spell gives a completely different look. I rather like it.
View attachment 300581
MMmmm, not sure if that livery suits the Alco :oops:

Mind you, one loco did get outshopped with the loco 'Suffer'n Pacific - which is more in keeping with the plant life ;);)

railwayman198

Registered
24 Oct 2009
East London
Best answers
Country flag
MMmmm, not sure if that livery suits the Alco :oops:

Mind you, one loco did get outshopped with the loco 'Suffer'n Pacific - which is more in keeping with the plant life ;);)
My other Alco is a little brighter... well, a lot brighter. Such a reliable runner that I felt obliged to get it a companion.
IMGP0485(2).jpg

railwayman198

Registered
24 Oct 2009
East London
Best answers
Country flag
I also put some wasp stripes on the nose of the ex Southern Pacific one, mainly to cover up the lettering. Then weathered it a bit, to make it look a bit less like a lump of plastic.
IMGP0999(2).jpg

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
The MYOB will return to its rich green when it gets a good dose of rain. A house near me had in addition to the rich green a lighter green in the front garden but it all got trampled by builders before I got round to asking for a slug of the lighter stuff. But it is returning now after about 3 years so I may be able to get some of the lighter green before long. It will continue to grow as the front garden is North facing so does not suffer so much from direct harsh sunlight.

SevenOfDiamonds

Registered
3 Jan 2010
Best answers
Country flag
the recent hot dry spell gives a completely different look

No such problem here, even after a dry spell . . .

1656096128994.png
Indeed, the growth is so prolific that the "upper branch line" (right) is out of service at present, while the main line (left) is kept clear . . .
1656096011494.png
1656096091290.png
Cheers

David

• Love
Reactions: 1 user

Eaglecliff

Registered
19 Jul 2010
Derby, England
Best answers
Country flag
No such problem here, even after a dry spell . . .

View attachment 300630
Indeed, the growth is so prolific that the "upper branch line" (right) is out of service at present, while the main line (left) is kept clear . . .
View attachment 300628
View attachment 300629
Cheers

David
I hate this stuff...bought a pot for £2.99, split it into three - it's now taking over the entire garden. Monty Don raised his eyebrows over it when an interviewee on Gardeners' World said he had used it. Apparently there is no known killer, except possibly a flamethrower, or a small nuclear explosion.

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
A friend gave me some. It's taken over the railway, bunged up the points & is now trying to eradicate the lawn. I thought a weedkiller would rid me of the stuff. It killed it off, only for it to grow again.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I believe a kettle of boiling water, will clear the right of way?
That, and once it dries-out, the 'Turbo 3000' just blows it away..
:devil::devil::devil:

PhilP

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Boiling water with salt in it, it is a cheap alternative to keep it down.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
To be honest not sure why anyone with a garden railway would want to eradicate MYOB, best plant in the armoury.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
To be honest not sure why anyone with a garden railway would want to eradicate MYOB, best plant in the armoury.
Second best IMHO, Corsican Mint is my favourite, very similar to MYOB, but a minty smell :)

viaEstrecha

Spanish metre gauge in G scale (on the cheap)
25 Oct 2009
Bedfordshire
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Lemon thyme is similar. Does need to be trimmed back, but smells good and fills in low areas well. That said, I learned my lesson with the first iteration of the railway and when I rebuilt it, all ground level track has a thick PVC membrane beneath and I put a barrier (mostly substantial plastic edging - not the cheapo corrugated stuff that goes brittle) between the trackbed and plants, or used sunken troughs at the lineside, and now it does not get invaded and just the occasional sedum shoot manages to jump across.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Second best IMHO, Corsican Mint is my favourite, very similar to MYOB, but a minty smell :)
Yes I also like them but had little luck growing them, I think in my case the soil is too rich having been in part a market garden before I got the house. Lots of years of manure building the soil to quality loam. Stuff that needs good load rockets away whereas thin nutrient plants suffer from the surplus of nutrients. All gardens have their issues!

Ralphmp

Registered
6 Jan 2010
Herts
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
If your railway is elevated like mine is then ground cover plants aren’t really relevant. Shrubs and bushes to grow around the supporting structure are, in my case, the order of the day.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
If your railway is elevated like mine is then ground cover plants aren’t really relevant. Shrubs and bushes to grow around the supporting structure are, in my case, the order of the day.
Railway is elevated but have some growing area’s. Ground cover very relevant in those areas but small leaf plants much appreciated. Only 1 location works fir MYOB due to sunny location, thus like other options but most are suffering just now.

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Great photo.
imho, very plausible livery too. Looks like a working locomotive.
the ‘varnish ‘ livery is also superb. Theres a real talent in developing an original livery and having it look plausible.
I like the figure in the foreground too. Helps the locos shortened proportion, imho.

I agree they are great locos .

however….i seem to recall your railway is tropical…probably not much snow….???

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Great photo.
the ‘varnish ‘ livery is also superb. Theres a real talent in developing an original livery and having it look plausible.
I like the figure in the foreground too. Helps the locos shortened proportion, imho.

Photography, some people seem to have the knack :clap: :clap: :clap: ( see another thread)

railwayman198

Registered
24 Oct 2009
East London
Best answers
Country flag
Great photo.

Yes, I was going to remove the plough until I saw this photo of a Jamaican bauxite train. Maybe it serves as a cow catcher?
JamalcoC20100623IA.jpg