Signs Of Life..

GNB

Registered
6 Nov 2014
Grampian
Best answers
It's very pleasant when the sun shines at this time of the year, not only do you get out to run the occasional train but you also get to see the signs of Spring around the garden.

Here's a few images, taken this morning, that show that Spring, in the far North, is well on its way.

snowdrop.JPG jasmine and chaenomeles.JPG Vinca.JPG Aconite.JPG Hellebore.JPG Cyclamen coum.JPG Omphalodes.JPG

Reactions: 6 users

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Magnolia tree is about to be in full bloom and the Camillia is out

Last edited:

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Blooming nice

David

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Yep, spring is in full flood but it is a tad early this year becaise of the milder weather in the winter, which is a shame as generally the air is colder at this time of year and the wonderful blooms tend to go unseen unless one is a hardy soul.

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
We have a small clump of dwarf daffys showing plenty of yellow but not fully open. Some of the wild primroses are still in bloom from late October last year. Dandelions keep opening up. Mixed up weather!

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Is that an Orchid in the penultimate Picture. Very nice whatever it is. Rather like those little Yellow ones 2 pics before that. My friend in Norfolk had them flowering some weeks ago.

I had Snowdrops in full flower for my Christmas Day bash. Probably early as they are in a Pot so the Warm Weather would have got them started early.

Joys of a new Year starting to wake up. Many thanks for the pics.
JonD

GNB

Registered
6 Nov 2014
Grampian
Best answers
Is that an Orchid in the penultimate Picture. Very nice whatever it is. Rather like those little Yellow ones 2 pics before that. My friend in Norfolk had them flowering some weeks ago.

I had Snowdrops in full flower for my Christmas Day bash. Probably early as they are in a Pot so the Warm Weather would have got them started early.

Joys of a new Year starting to wake up. Many thanks for the pics.
JonD

Thank you I'm pleased that you enjoyed them.

The plant in the penultimate picture is a hardly cyclamen that survives our hard winters its (to quote the RHS) .."a delightful tuberous perennial providing colour often when little else is flowering, particularly in late winter or early spring. Hardy cyclamen species and cultivars are ideal for naturalising under trees, on banks or in a shady border and planted in association with other early-flowering woodland plants such as snowdrops, winter aconites and primroses."

The yellow ones (two picture before) are winter aconites (Eranthis hyemalis), and are very easy to grow and bring a "beam of golden glow into the garden at a time when the sun rarely breaks through the clouds. These golden yellow flowers bloom the earliest of all spring flowers. Their beautiful green foliage is very attractive and covers the ground long after the flowers have disappeared" to quote Parkers blurb.

I like to keep the garden in the railway :).

Reactions: 1 user

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Ah that Cyclamen no wonder I never reckognised it as there were no leaves. But the Curve on the Stem should have been a bit of a Giveaway. I have a rather nice Drift that have been moved in the last few weeks. Though they and the ones that I just discovered have not Flowered yet or at all I think since I moved here. But I like the leaves so they are fine.

image.jpeg

Think I may have some of the Larger Aconites. My friend in Norfolk has a load of the Yellow ones, must ask her to dig me a few before she moves next Weekend. Hooe I have ID'd this one beow correct:-

image.jpeg

Just about finished now. But it will probably have suffered a bit from a mid winter move, I do most things at the wrong time for plants but right for me. They do have 2 choices about survival!
JonD

GNB

Registered
6 Nov 2014
Grampian
Best answers
The small cyclamen does in fact have leaves if you look carefully. It's a very hardy native variety from Central Europe that survives well under harsh conditions.

Your "larger aconites", the same as shown in 5th picture down in my original post, are the very excellent and fully hardy Hellebore - which are always good value in our Winter garden and come in a variety of attractive colours.

Here's a description from the RHS "Hellebores (sometimes known as the Christmas or Lenten rose) are perennial garden plants with elegant flowers, perfect for brightening up shady areas during late winter and early spring. Some species are grown for their striking evergreen architectural foliage."

GNB

Registered
6 Nov 2014
Grampian
Best answers
Another excellent plant at this time of year, for both colour and scent, is Hamamelis. These are deciduous shrubs with broadly ovate or rounded leaves, sometimes colouring well in autumn, and fragrant yellow to red flowers with 4 narrow petals, borne on the leafless branches in late winter and early spring, or in autumn.

Last edited:

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Fortunately I do not get any problems with Bambi's. But a neighbour 5 doors away is having problems with a Badger. I am strugling to think where it comes from and how it even gets into her Garden. Though there is a small copse about 300 Yards away, most of the area I live in is built up. Foxes and the occasional Hedgie appear to be the most exotic Wildlife, oh plus the Feathered ones.

Some lovely plants to cheer us up appearing in this thread. Plus some serious knowldge being passed on. Names of plants always a problem. Will now be drawing up a Planting Guide now that I know the names of some.
JonD

GNB

Registered
6 Nov 2014
Grampian
Best answers
In answer to your earlier query concerning orchids, Dactylorhiza 'Harold Esslemont'.Is a cultivar of UK/European natives and has been grown in Aberdeenshire for over 50 years (hence v.hardy). This group of orchards are more commonly referred to as marsh orchids.

Last edited:

GNB

Registered
6 Nov 2014
Grampian
Best answers
More signs of life arriving in distant parts. Spotted a rare Scottish visitor, a hawthorn shieldbug, wandering around the signal box a couple of days ago.

Last edited:

GNB

Registered
6 Nov 2014
Grampian
Best answers
A few days of fine weather, extended day lengths and the North British Spring is in full swing.
spring-2016-overview.jpg

Last edited:

merlin

Model (all scales) & 12":1'
17 Jan 2013
Somerset (occasionally in Spain)
Best answers
Country flag
Wonderful pictures, some beautiful colour to herald the arrival of spring. Thanks.
We've got a hen pheasant brooding 4 eggs in our garden, trains running 5 or 6 feet away hasn't disturbed her, neither has cutting the grass. As I'm away in Madrid until the end of the month, I'll be checking up on progress as soon as I get back.

merlin

Model (all scales) & 12":1'
17 Jan 2013
Somerset (occasionally in Spain)
Best answers
Country flag
Great pics fellas, a wonderful splash of colour to herald the spring - thanks.
I assume that the frogs are as unfazed by the passage of trains as is the hen pheasant that has decided that a spot 6 ft away from the railway is the ideal spot to lay 4 eggs in our garden. First time we've had that happen in the 30 odd years we've been in the house.

GNB

Registered
6 Nov 2014
Grampian
Best answers
The rhododendrons have been very good this year, probably due the the absence of late frosts and last years heavier rainfall.
rhodie 2.JPG

Last edited: