Setting Speed Steps on Dimax 1210Z

John Russo

Registered
24 Sep 2015
PA
Best answers
Country flag
I have a DIMAX 1210Z for a central station.

I use Stellwerks software to control everything. I do not have a Navigator. Stellwerks has the option to select the DIMAX as the central station.

Generally, everything works fine.

My trouble is trying to get to 28 Speed steps.

I have a locos using LGB 55021, LGB 55022, and the Massoth XL eMotion. decoder. I used the Massoth Service Tool to set the CV29 for 28/128 speed steps.

I define the Loco in Stellwerks as having 28 Speed Steps.

When I try to operated the software it does not recognize the 28 speed steps.

My question: Do I need to first set the speed steps or each Loco number in the 1210Z using a Navigator?

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Both Central Station and decoder(s) need to be set to the same speed-step value.

Many decoders will auto-detect 28/128 from the Central Station.

Each address-entry on your Central Station can be set to a different speed-step value, so you have to know the value that decoder is set to, when you define the settings for that address in your Central Station.

PhilP

John Russo

Registered
24 Sep 2015
PA
Best answers
Country flag
Phil, thanks!

Your post steered me toward the solution.

I erased the Loco data stored in the 1280Z and that did the trick.

I bought the unit used and I guess the prior owner had locos defined that were overriding my software.

The 28 steps are working now.

Last edited:

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Phil, thanks!

Do you know if you can program the 1280Z directly; i.e. without a Navigator?
John
As long as you have 'someway' of talking to the Central Station, you should be able to alter the settings for each address.

Could your problem be that some of the decoders are not set to 28 speed-steps in CV 29?

PhilP

John Russo

Registered
24 Sep 2015
PA
Best answers
Country flag
John
As long as you have 'someway' of talking to the Central Station, you should be able to alter the settings for each address.

Could your problem be that some of the decoders are not set to 28 speed-steps in CV 29?

PhilP

Phil,

Not sure if our messages passed each other.

After I reset the loco data in the Central Station, the Stellwerks software was able to send 28 step commands.

I do have each decoder's CV29 set to 6 which gives me 28 steps.

Again, thanks for your guidance.

John

John Russo

Registered
24 Sep 2015
PA
Best answers
Country flag
Epilogue

I subsequently had difficulty with this and then discovered a note in the Stellwerks software document that said speed step 27 was not allowed for Dimax.

I set all the locos to 28 steps but only go to 26 in any commands I use.

All is well now. I can live with 26 steps. Much smoother acceleration and deceleration than 14.

1704547854517.png