Playmobil engine reverses itself while running!!

FatherMcD

Registered
13 Mar 2014
Idaho
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
I just took my Playmobil Express out of (cold) storage for a grandchild to run. Batteries were dead so both engine and tx batteries were replaced with good batteries. It started off fine but after a few feet stuttered and then reversed! After fiddling a bit it seems to run better at higher speeds but still stutters and occasionally reverses at lower speeds. Has anyone seen this behavior before or have any idea what is causing it? Also, I can't get to Walt's playmobil site. Is it gone?

Last edited:

-bbbb

Registered
21 Dec 2017
Idaho
Best answers
Country flag
I just took my Playmobil Express out of (cold) storage for a grandchild to run. Batteries were dead so both engine and tx batteries were replaced with good batteries. It started off fine but after a few feet stuttered and then reversed! After fiddling a bit it seems to run better at higher speeds but still stutters and occasionally reverses at lower speeds. Has anyone seen this behavior before or have any idea what is causing it?
Sounds like you are running a 27 MHZ RC train with interference. Metal objects like chairs, tables, brass track, etc. can cause interference. Also, other 27MHZ devices at a similar band can interfere with the control. Those RC trains were designed to run on plastic track, ideally away from interference. The positioning and angle of your controller and of your track can make a difference.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Also, I can't get to Walt's playmobil site. Is it gone?
Walt passed away last year, I would assume the website, when with him.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
The dreaded 27Mhz Rc is extremely fickle, commonly known as the ‘rusty boot effect’ back in the day when we were trying to run Live Steam from 27Mhz equipment. As -bbbb -bbbb says all of those things plus I wonder if these days WiFi, Mobile Phones and most certainly any CB Radio near you will affect things.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Could also be a broken aerial..

PhilP

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
I've already written about the horrors of a loco suddenly reversing out of a tunnel