Playing with Otto

Alexander0654

Registered
26 Dec 2009
Schoeneck, France
Best answers
Country flag
Following on from my Thread " DCC Starter Pack " and the resulting suggestions of "Learning by Doing " , I have looked at my fleet and selected my LGB Otto as the first victim ( urr experiment ) ! The thinking is to try The All at Once approach:sweating:

I plan to use a Massoth
eMOTION LS Sounddecoder Small Steam loco narrow gauge sounds per loaded plus speaker. I will also add an Massoth LGB Smoke Generator.

As yet, I have not ordered any parts for conversion ( need to wait until the end of the month ;) ) . Before I do any further spending I have 2 questions ;

Which Smoke Generator voltage is correct, 18 or 24 ?
Otto currently enjoys directional lighting at 5v, will I need to change to 19/24v bulbs ?

These are the first of the predicted Idiot Question, there will be many more once the power supply has been given the All Clear by my tame Electricery Expert.

I need not add this, but please feel free to Shoot Holes in the current plan :D

Regards Alex

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Hello Alex,
You will find space quite restricted in an Otto..
Even those of us who have done many conversions would 'suck our teeth' a little at this.

You may wish to consider something a little more 'roomy' for a first conversion? - A starter-set diesel, for example.

It can be done, and 'we' will help you along the way, but I suggest you strip the loco down, before you start in earnest, just to see what space there is.

Of course, others will now say it is dead-easy! ;)

Alexander0654

Registered
26 Dec 2009
Schoeneck, France
Best answers
Country flag
Hello Alex,
You will find space quite restricted in an Otto..
Even those of us who have done many conversions would 'suck our teeth' a little at this.

You may wish to consider something a little more 'roomy' for a first conversion? - A starter-set diesel, for example.

It can be done, and 'we' will help you along the way, but I suggest you strip the loco down, before you start in earnest, just to see what space there is.

Of course, others will now say it is dead-easy! ;)
Thanks for the suggestion. Do you mean something like this ;

http://www.ebay.de/itm/LGB-2090-Die...d=391865164868&_trksid=p2047675.c100009.m1982

My choice of Otto was based on cost and ease of replacement should I make a complete dogs dinner of the conversion.
If you think Otto is difficult then my next planned project would physically impossible. Steam Lights and sound in a Fieldbahn loco:mad:

Or next option from my current stable would be 2070 Zillertalbahn loco which has lights and smoke. Perhaps not so much of a challenge :)

Alex

Frank Gallagher

Well matured physically if not mentally
1 Jun 2016
Chatsworth
Best answers
Go to the Massoth site and download the manual for the decoder note output voltages are programmable but will be factory set at full track voltage but you can lower for your 5v bulbs

Reactions: 1 user

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
There is loads of room under the bonnet of those D10 engines, in fact so much that they are too light and have wheelslip if loaded - I put a chunk of lead in mine and it improved it enormously.

Alexander0654

Registered
26 Dec 2009
Schoeneck, France
Best answers
Country flag
:sweating:Those of you who follow the evilbay link above will discover the loco has been sold ........

Well guess what !​

I had no idea just how hazardous and detrimental to your life expectancy starting out in DCC could be :sweating:
So pleased SWMBO dose not follow this Forum

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
:sweating:Those of you who follow the evilbay link above will discover the loco has been sold ........

Well guess what !​

I had no idea just how hazardous and detrimental to your life expectancy starting out in DCC could be :sweating:

Many of us HOPE that our respective Better Halves don't log on here as "guests" just to keep an eye on what we're up to..... :devil:

US "redneck" comic Jeff Foxworthy does a wonderful little routine about getting home and realising you're in trouble with the wife about something.... he recommends treating it the same way as if you're stopped by a highway patrolman - you just look straight ahead and answer every question with a simple "yes" or "no", until you find out EXACTLY what it is that you're being accused of.... there is NO way you should own up to something she doesn't know about yet..... :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Jon.

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
I might just have to take SWMBO shopping in Sarrebrucken then pop over to see you, and just by accident let slip a little bit of information :talking:
There again I hate shopping with her Nibs. Even her daughter hates shopping with her, so there you go. Saved by the shop o_O

Alexander0654

Registered
26 Dec 2009
Schoeneck, France
Best answers
Country flag
Better idea, we send them shopping in Saarbrucken Bahnhoffstrs and we go and visit the emporium of Herr Zenner :clap:

Then we are both in trouble but me not quite so much as I otherwise could be :rofl:

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
Don't be so sure, if Herr Zenner sells what I think he sells* then I would get into deep trouble, and SWMBO would have to drive home >:)
* Model railway lubricant.

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
The U class is a reasonably easy first fit. the hardest bit is getting the decoder tucked away to refit the top.
You can adjust light voltage with CV50
If you look at the top of the DCC section on here - there are lots of desciptions of what people have done. Your older U might have what is known as a three pin gearbox. Just makes fitting the decoder a little more exciting!

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
The 2090 D10 is easier than the U class for a sound decoder install. I use the Zimo MX645 sound decoder which is very small and drives a single motor LGB loco just fine, and you can tie in 2 servos!! My 2090's have added directional led lights.