Oh Deer !!!!!!!!

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I like animals. However, I'd like them even more if they kept their collective noses out of my garden and pond. I'm speaking of deer. Because we humans have to build on every last bit of available land, the animals must think that we want them to move in with us.

We have a pond that I built very close to the patio. There are lilies and arrow plants doing quite nicely I must say. Well, not entirely. As soon as the lilies look good, they are eaten by the deer. The arrow plants must not taste good 'cause they don't get touched. SWMBO's Hostas are one of their favorites along with day lilies. Neither barely gets a chance to bloom before they're eaten.

In the past I have tried dried blood, soap, balloons and even one of those water squirting mechanical birds, which just gives them and the Blue Heron a bath that they enjoy.....:swear:

The dried blood works until it rains. The soap and balloons were a joke. I have bird netting over part of the pond to keep the Blue Heron from devouring my fish. The section where the lilies are was tromped on by the deer trying top get to the lilies below. So I had some green wire turkey fencing that I placed over the pond a few days ago. It is held up about a foot above the water rather rigidly with cable on one side and fence staples into the gazebo on the other.

Last night the deer actually forced their way under the fencing bending it and totally moving out of their way my Pola water mill. I am at my wits end. My options are dwindling. My first thought would be to replace the lilies with some other plant that deer don't like. I briefly looked at those electronic sound emitting devices that are supposed to scare the deer. There are mixed reviews on them, mostly poor.

So I am asking for your thoughts. What am I not seeing that could possibly be a solution. The township has, in recent years, set up deer hunting schedules which were promptly protested by residents. I'm on the fence with that idea. I can understand the residents fears but what they are not thinking about is the number of deer hit by cars and the danger that can come from such encounters.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Electric fence..

They are intelligent enough to learn quite quickly..
BUT,
It needs to be a decent one, either mains (transformer) or car-battery fed.. Possibly on a time-switch, as I am guessing the problem is mainly dusk to dawn?

Oh, and compared with the mamby-pamby things of my youth, you do NOT want to test these on yourself.. Even with a long blade of grass!! :oops::eek::eek::eek:

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
Last edited:

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
You might laugh, but you need Lion poo. Zoos over this side of the pond sell it for just such a purpose.

You should have been deturd from mentioning that...

David

Reactions: 1 user

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Electric fence..

They are intelligent enough to learn quite quickly..
BUT,
It needs to be a decent one, either mains (transformer) or car-battery fed.. Possibly on a time-switch, as I am guessing the problem is mainly dusk to dawn?

Oh, and compared with the mamby-pamby things of my youth, you do NOT want to test these on yourself.. Even with a long blade of grass!! :oops::eek::eek::eek:

But the deer jump right over a four foot fence like it's not even there. Most electric fences I've seen are about four to five feet high. Proper deer fencing should be eight feet I am told. They won't attempt to jump that high. Many years ago I was doing a job at The Morris Arboretum just on the outskirts of Philadelphia. The entire property is surrounded by a six foot wrought iron fence. It's the standard type we are all familiar with where the pickets are pointed on the top. Every couple of weeks a deer will impale itself on them.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
But the deer jump right over a four foot fence like it's not even there. Most electric fences I've seen are about four to five feet high. Proper deer fencing should be eight feet I am told. They won't attempt to jump that high. Many years ago I was doing a job at The Morris Arboretum just on the outskirts of Philadelphia. The entire property is surrounded by a six foot wrought iron fence. It's the standard type we are all familiar with where the pickets are pointed on the top. Every couple of weeks a deer will impale itself on them.
That sounds like the way to eradicate the problem.
JonD

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
Well I know what I would do..........But I get into trouble mentioning my other hobby............

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Well I know what I would do..........But I get into trouble mentioning my other hobby............

Ah... that would be hobby Firmware 0.223

David

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Woke up this morning to see that the deer attacked some of my Arrow plants. I thought those SOBs didn't like them. Hope they get sick.

THIS MEANS WAR.....:swear::punch::mad:

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
Wolves ! You need to get a pack of their natural predator. Mind you, you'll have to warn any neighbours. Quite a few, given their natural range. Max

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Wolves ! You need to get a pack of their natural predator. Mind you, you'll have to warn any neighbours. Quite a few, given their natural range. Max
Unfortunately you hit the nail on the head in the first post, we're taking up all the land, so unless the wildlife adapts to the environment forced on them, they will die out. Unfortunate fact I'm afraid. We have the same problem here, it makes me mad when new houses are built without any thoughts on what lived on the land before.:yawn:

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
I shot this, the photograph that is, not the deer, at the bottom of my son's garden in Knoxville, Tennessee, 1.4.2017

dig 170401001.JPG

David

minimans

24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
Ah... that would be hobby Firmware 0.223

David
Actually I prefer version 0.308 Slower delivery but bigger punch.............................

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Actually I prefer version 0.308 Slower delivery but bigger punch.............................
Massive culture difference here, over here, some of us might just have a 12 bore shot gun!

korm kormsen

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Country
Paraguay
Best answers
Country flag
Massive culture difference here, over here, some of us might just have a 12 bore shot gun!

well, with 00buck you can ventilate the intruders well enough.

minimans

24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
Where I live in Marin county deer are a huge problem, as there is very very limited hunting allowed the population is way to large and you have all the associated problems of encroachment into urban areas and road accidents caused by deer on the road and freeways. I see a dead deer at least once a week usually more whilst driving to and from work. I hit and killed a large Buck last year at 2am on the way home, It did about $4,000 dollars damage to the Discovery! Including smashing the screen on the passenger side. and the CHP wouldn't let me have it for the freezer.................................