Minimum Radii

Mohawk Valley

Registered
11 Feb 2023
Coventry UK
Best answers
Country flag
A quick question, which I probably know the answer to but it’s nice to have confirmation.

Which 8 wheel diesels will comfortably negotiate LGB R1 curves and points?

Cheers

Martin

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
A quick question, which I probably know the answer to but it’s nice to have confirmation.

Which 8 wheel diesels will comfortably negotiate LGB R1 curves and points?

Cheers

Martin
LGB diesels - once you go R1, LGB have got you hook, line and sinker

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
LGB V52 and Wizzy cranks 2095 will go round R1 curves.

I have 2 of each type.

Even my 0-8-0 Rugens steam loco does R1....

Mohawk Valley

Registered
11 Feb 2023
Coventry UK
Best answers
Country flag
I’ve discovered that the USA trains 44 tonners, NW2 and S4’s will go round them without any problems. I’m wondering about their GP7/9 or any of the Aristocraft 8 wheel diesels?

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Basically, anything by LGB will go round R1. - How silly it looks, is debatable..

I don't think much Aristocraft (the bigger ones anyway) will cope?

PhilP

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
My trailer layout is all R1 (apart from the straights of course) - here's a pic of the Aristo Alco negotiating the R1s -

Aristocraft Alco FA1s (5).JPG

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
My Piko Kamel is ok on LGB R1.

Mohawk Valley

Registered
11 Feb 2023
Coventry UK
Best answers
Country flag
My trailer layout is all R1 (apart from the straights of course) - here's a pic of the Aristo Alco negotiating the R1s -

View attachment 324862
Thanks for the reply.
Hmm, according to Aristocraft they need a 5ft minimum radius…I wonder if anyone has tried the USAT GP7/9 on R1 curves and if it negotiates them ok?
Cheers
Martin

ARIA31

Registered
3 Oct 2017
Toulouse - France
Best answers
Country flag
All my railroad is R1 including switches.
For sure I don't care about the overhang on the R1 curves, especially with very long rolling stock.

I have an LGB UINTAH which can go everywhere on my railroad.

Then I have USA trains Alco S4, GP38-2 & GP7 all run fine on my railways.

However I cannot buy an USA trains SD 70, I think she might run on the ralroad but would not be able to draw wagons (they would be pushed away from the ralway).
Also as my layout is having two side walls with a limited space between walls and track on its sides, thus this loco SD70 would knock the walls.

I have also Bachmann 4 6 0, yes they run on R1 but in some areas of may railroad it is risky !

Speaking about Bachmann I would like to know if the situation for the new DASH9 is the same as for the SD70.
The drawback of the SD70 is that the vertical truck axle is not in the middle of the truck but pushed back toward the truck rear.
This create this large overhang on R1.
Running a Dash 9 without any wagon would be my pleasure, but I don't currently know what is the engine nose overhang on an R1.

Mohawk Valley

Registered
11 Feb 2023
Coventry UK
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the reply…

“Then I have USA trains Alco S4, GP38-2 & GP7 all run fine on my railways.”

Now that is interesting as the GP7/9 has a minimum 5ft radius according to USAT.
Overhangs don’t really bother me either, I just want to know if the GP7/9 in particular will traverse R1 curves? You seem to have answered my question, thank you.
I can’t comment on the DASH9 or the SD70, as they are certainly far too large for my railway.

Cheers

Martin

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
My Aristo SD45 will go around R1 curves but the coupler is outside the rail!! So, I built a 2 axle single truck/bogie with a 4 inch towbar. Works for me to test the engine indoors with a load as all my indoor track is LGB R1. Outdoors I have R3 minimum and mainline is 12 foot diameter.

ARIA31

Registered
3 Oct 2017
Toulouse - France
Best answers
Country flag
Would you be so kind to post a picture of your 2 axle single truck/bogie with a 4 inch towbar