Micron MR603c P1 P2 outlets

collectors

Registered
16 Apr 2022
Norfolk UK
www.chrismorris.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Hi, Hope you all had a cheap Christmas so you can spend more on your models, lol.
My question is the Micron MR603c P1 P2 receiver outlets a fixed value, or is it dependent on the board input. My input will be around 16v & was wondering on resistor size for the bi-led direction lights.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Hi, Hope you all had a cheap Christmas so you can spend more on your models, lol.
My question is the Micron MR603c P1 P2 receiver outlets a fixed value, or is it dependent on the board input. My input will be around 16v & was wondering on resistor size for the bi-led direction lights.
Fixed value..
The P outputs are logic-level outputs from the CPU (well, one of them) so 3.3-3.5V.
You will need to factor in the maximum current you can sink through these outputs, and you may need to play with the resistor values a little, as white and red LEDs, have different forward voltages.

Yell, if you need more help..

PhilP.

collectors

Registered
16 Apr 2022
Norfolk UK
www.chrismorris.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
OK, thanks Phil. Might have to double check the output. Not sure if it can work. But could a 2 leg bi led be made to work. The one that you just revers the polarity. >

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
OK, thanks Phil. Might have to double check the output. Not sure if it can work. But could a 2 leg bi led be made to work. The one that you just revers the polarity. >
Yes:
The P1 & P2 outputs give 3.5V when 'on' and 0V when 'off'.
P1 is on in the forwards direction, and P2 in the reverse direction. - So the polarity of the pair of outputs reverses, with direction.

PhilP

Attachments

• mr603c-front-rear-lights (1)_copy.pdf
    71.3 KB · Views: 0

collectors

Registered
16 Apr 2022
Norfolk UK
www.chrismorris.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Yes:
The P1 & P2 outputs give 3.5V when 'on' and 0V when 'off'.
P1 is on in the forwards direction, and P2 in the reverse direction. - So the polarity of the pair of outputs reverses, with direction.

PhilP
Thanks Phil, that's what i'm after. Micron could do with a re-vamp of the web stite. He said to me a long time back he was going to update it to make things clearer.

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Phil, that's what i'm after. Micron could do with a re-vamp of the web stite. He said to me a long time back he was going to update it to make things clearer.
I have trouble with it on the Smartie-Phone..
It does not refresh to the latest content, so I have to check on the laptop occasionally.

PhilP

collectors

Registered
16 Apr 2022
Norfolk UK
www.chrismorris.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Hi phil, still a bit confused. If i put the micron details into a resistor calculator it says i need a 43 ohm resistor. Yet the micron site says 330-1k. That's a bit of difference. Am i missing somthing ??. Cheers.

led300.JPG

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
It depends a little on the LEDs you are using.. Plus how bright you want them.

An added 'gotcha' is that different colour LEDs have different forward voltages, so you have to compromise on your resistor values.

Also remember that 'we' have to allow for customers not realising that the limits are for the total current that these connections can cope with. - I have people wanting to drive four LEDs, so you really only want 3-4mA through each LED.

Your calculations are for ONE red LED. - Have you done the same for a typical white, or warm-white, LED?

I would base your calculations on around 10-12mA through the LED, which I think you will find more than bright enough.

(I tend to not go much below 150 ohm for series resistors)

PhilP

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
I have a 603 that I used bi-directional (two wire) LEDs in April this year, I used 330 ohm resistors and had problems, and discussed with Phil via email, long story short, I ended up using 660 ohm resistors, as the different rating between the red and white elements caused issues, with only the red LED lighting, nothing from the white LED. I am sure PhilP PhilP may recall this now.

Reactions: 1 user

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
It will also depend on which version of the MR603 the OP has. - There were some changes, from version to version..

PhilP