Massoth Emotion L Quality Control?

R. Wolfe

Registered
25 Jun 2017
Pennsylvania
Best answers
Country flag
Hello, has anyone else ran into this issue? I hooked a brand new Massoth Emotion L decoder fresh out of the sealed packaging onto my test motor block to double check some CV settings prior to installing in a project I was working on. The motor block started buzzing similar to a non DCC equiped Locomotive. After about 2-3 seconds, it tripped the breaker on the central station. I reset the central station, checked for any short circuts on the test track and reset the station only for a repeat. Naturaly the coder became warm to the touch. After closer examination, Massoth soldered the wrong color wires to the wrong pads. They crossed up the yellow & brown wires. I corrected the issue by resoldering to the correct pads. I though for sure I fried it but miricaliously, it still works. Just an FYI.

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Hello, has anyone else ran into this issue? I hooked a brand new Massoth Emotion L decoder fresh out of the sealed packaging onto my test motor block to double check some CV settings prior to installing in a project I was working on. The motor block started buzzing similar to a non DCC equiped Locomotive. After about 2-3 seconds, it tripped the breaker on the central station. I reset the central station, checked for any short circuts on the test track and reset the station only for a repeat. Naturaly the coder became warm to the touch. After closer examination, Massoth soldered the wrong color wires to the wrong pads. They crossed up the yellow & brown wires. I corrected the issue by resoldering to the correct pads. I though for sure I fried it but miricaliously, it still works. Just an FYI.
Did you report it so they can follow the error up and correct it?

R. Wolfe

Registered
25 Jun 2017
Pennsylvania
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, reported it to my local Massoth Dealer where I purchased it.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, reported it to my local Massoth Dealer where I purchased it.
I would also be tempted to report direct to Massoth. Bit late for a swop now but at least your fix worked, happily.

Diesel2000

Registered
18 Feb 2020
Chicago
Best answers
Country flag
I have an LS decoder that has a 3 pin instead of 4 pin socket on it. power buffers do not work with it. I need to send it back in for repair/replacement, but its a hassle and an expense.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I have an LS decoder that has a 3 pin instead of 4 pin socket on it. power buffers do not work with it. I need to send it back in for repair/replacement, but its a hassle and an expense.
Surely your 'contract' is with your supplier?
They should swap the faulty unit, and the hassle be theirs?

PhilP

R. Wolfe

Registered
25 Jun 2017
Pennsylvania
Best answers
Country flag
Agreed Phil, my supplier agreed to exchange it if I have any problems with it. I purchased it almost two years ago and it's been sitting in the sealed box awaiting it's new home in what ever I decide to put it in. Great service from my supplier! I always keep a few emotion L, XL, LS & XLS in stock here on hand because I never know when I will get time to start a project. I also have a few square and round boiler smokers on hand as well as some auto uncopler sets, 2,3,4 & 5 wire cables with plugs, susi cables, one of each size speaker massoth makes and adapter boards. It's not like I can go to a local store to buy when I need it. Everything closed up & 4 hours or more away. Even then, these stores don't hardly stock anything. Almost all Mail Order only now. Post office loses things and gets stuck for a week or more at postal facilities on the way. Sucks.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Agreed Phil, my supplier agreed to exchange it if I have any problems with it. I purchased it almost two years ago and it's been sitting in the sealed box awaiting it's new home in what ever I decide to put it in. Great service from my supplier! I always keep a few emotion L, XL, LS & XLS in stock here on hand because I never know when I will get time to start a project. I also have a few square and round boiler smokers on hand as well as some auto uncopler sets, 2,3,4 & 5 wire cables with plugs, susi cables, one of each size speaker massoth makes and adapter boards. It's not like I can go to a local store to buy when I need it. Everything closed up & 4 hours or more away. Even then, these stores don't hardly stock anything. Almost all Mail Order only now. Post office loses things and gets stuck for a week or more at postal facilities on the way. Sucks.
I have in the past always kept the odd decoder in stock, however I always tested them out after purchase on a spare motor block just to be sure that they work OK. That test included testing all the sound functions. Guess who is a retired IT systems testing type person?

R. Wolfe

Registered
25 Jun 2017
Pennsylvania
Best answers
Country flag
That is a fantastic idea! That way no surprises! I will have to start doing that going forward. Thanks for chatting.