dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Some years ago I subscribed to Garden Rail via Exact Editions which required a fee via iTunes. I was happy with this till I started to get multiple iTunes Hacking so I trashed my account by not renewing Card Details. When the time came for renewal of my Garden Rail subs I contacted Exact Editions and tried to pay direct by Card. Not possible it seams so I decided to let my sub drift.

Recently I tried to look at some of the old issues that I PAID for (using my iPad), I cannot now access these. Is this correct and if so I feel that this is poor practice? Is this the same with all digital subscriptions or was I unlucky that I did not download them to my PC?

palmerston

trains
24 Oct 2009
Netherlands, near Aachen ;-)
Best answers
Country flag
Ive experiencend the same with another mag and all i know now is to download regulary. Cant acces the old digital issues as the publisher has sold his bussines to another magazine. So the old issues are only available via the original publisher.

Some publishers alow to download the whole mag as one file, others only 1 page per time or view online only. Ive bought some old issues for download at an offer off 99p per mag.(Facebook add)

Not having a paper subscribtion maybe cheaper but in the end the price per magazine to be printed will rise. I prefer both paper and digital.
Within multiple pdf,s its possible to search for keywords.

Reactions: 1 user

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Some years ago I subscribed to Garden Rail via Exact Editions which required a fee via iTunes. I was happy with this till I started to get multiple iTunes Hacking so I trashed my account by not renewing Card Details. When the time came for renewal of my Garden Rail subs I contacted Exact Editions and tried to pay direct by Card. Not possible it seams so I decided to let my sub drift.

Recently I tried to look at some of the old issues that I PAID for (using my iPad), I cannot now access these. Is this correct and if so I feel that this is poor practice? Is this the same with all digital subscriptions or was I unlucky that I did not download them to my PC?

I was with Exact Editions and am now with Pocketmag (Garden Rail & Old Glory). I can see all editions since joining them a couple of years ago. I haven't really thought of downloading them but I do download my Tramways & Urban Transit (plus Tramway Revue). I also have access to another transport related mag (courtesy of a friend) which I save to the hard drive.

I did go back to having one mag delivered (Old Glory) but reverted back to on-line. I still miss the tangibility of a magazine to read in bed!

I cannot remember just why I was diverted to Pocketmag - I think it was the publisher.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I have resisted the "Kindle" idea. I need paper in front of me. Besides, Big Brother can't change what's written in my real book, but can on an electronic book.

Reactions: 2 users

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
I have resisted the "Kindle" idea. I need paper in front of me. Besides, Big Brother can't change what's written in my real book, but can on an electronic book.
I'm with you on this one Not so Madman, proper magazines are so much more easier to cope with for me. Also come in handy for insulating the loft with the bundles of back issues that you can't possibly bin;)

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
My 'reading room' doesn't have a power-outlet for safety! ;)

Reactions: 1 users

Hutch

G Gauge, Raising Peaches, Apricots
1 Feb 2012
Southwest Oklahoma, USA
Best answers
My 'reading room' doesn't have a power-outlet for safety! ;)

I like to read while soaking my - in the tub. My (electronic) tablet isn't water resistant, neither is my magazine, but a wet magazine is lots cheaper to replace. :worried:

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
GSC is all I need. :)

Rowan Bravington

Registered
9 May 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Best answers
Light Railways (The official publication of the Light Railway Research Society of Australia Inc.) has for about 2 years issued an electronic version. I usually download it. The only down-side being that the issues are fairly large - usually around 9 mb - so tend to take up room on the PC.
Upside is that I can load them to an iPad and read on holidays etc.
Guess I could save them in a smaller format for later use as required.

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Light Railways (The official publication of the Light Railway Research Society of Australia Inc.) has for about 2 years issued an electronic version. I usually download it. The only down-side being that the issues are fairly large - usually around 9 mb - so tend to take up room on the PC.
Upside is that I can load them to an iPad and read on holidays etc.
Guess I could save them in a smaller format for later use as required.

I have a 1TB external hard drive so there's plenty of space. Downside is that all are still in the Downloads section of my PC. Thats's another Round Tu-it job! :banghead:

Rowan Bravington

Registered
9 May 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Best answers
Brilliant - why didn't I think of that !
I also have an external drive 1.5 TB.
I moved all my mags and freed up 173 gig on the main drive.
Also sorted my Light Rwy mags from the Emmett Society mags.
Thanks for the tip trammayo.

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
What's the world coming to..... computer advice from our Irish Correspondant. :nerd:

Reactions: 2 users

Rowan Bravington

Registered
9 May 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Best answers
Well, you know what they say if you have computer problems... Have you turned it off and on again? to be sure to be sure !

Reactions: 1 users

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Many thanks guys think that I may well have a possible solution now, will research Pocketmag. Will also work for the US equivalent as well.
JonD

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Well, you know what they say if you have computer problems... Have you turned it off and on again? to be sure to be sure !

Just store them somewhere else, as well... You DO take backups, don't you?
('to be sure, to be sure', you can read them another day..) :nod::nod:

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
No just Hammer Time, works wonders for your ego:think:

railwayman198

Registered
24 Oct 2009
East London
Best answers
Country flag
I'm confused now. I thought that when Garden Rail moved to Warners from Exact Editions that the digital archive was lost and no longer available. That was one reason I didn't renew my subscription when Warners took over. Who are Pocketmag and how do they fit in?

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I'm confused now. I thought that when Garden Rail moved to Warners from Exact Editions that the digital archive was lost and no longer available. That was one reason I didn't renew my subscription when Warners took over. Who are Pocketmag and how do they fit in?
Me too, just looked at Pocketmag and they do GR subs. Did not know anything about the loss of the Archive, do not GR have backup?