dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I use a custom build track cleaning locomotive build by R. Kleinsteuber ( Dutch LGB trains : Website www.dejachtkamer.com choose menu: Locomotieven spoor-G) that has a rotating brush at the front and a vibrating minitool sand paper machine in the middle of the two drives.
I can lift the sandpaper when it is not necessary to used.
Normally i run the cleaner without the sandpaper machine each morning after rain in order to swipe of all the sand particles.(my track is at ground level.
When not having used the track for a long period i have to use the brush and the sand papermachine in two rounds along my track.
I case of heavy corroded track, that occurs most time under trees or concentrated rain drop off points, i use a abrasive sponge from FESTOOL mounted on a flat pad on a long stick.
The sponge info: 98 x 120 x 13 mm ; two sided ; Festool Granat 220 ; No 201114.
Two swipes with this sponge, wet or dry, will do the heavy corrosion job.

Gerard
That beastie looks the biso, cost may put many off but if I were still track power I would certainly consider it.
Hi Curtis

Probably my expectation for the track cleaner, the first time I tried to run it kept stalling on me as the track wasn’t clean enough for the electrical pickup, which didn’t impress. I asked for advice from this site and was recommended the LGB red cleaning block which works very well giving a nice shinny surface but with some effort.

I think I need to have some patience and let it do its thing, several times if necessary. Quick once round with the block then round several times with the track cleaner, then once a month ish.

Robin
I used the red block all the time on my line to keep the track clean. As for the LGB loco needing some clean track before it works, well yes it is just an 0-4-0 and will never run without som clean track to get started on. I also found as have you and others a few trips round the line helps. For myself needing reliability for shunting during Timetable sessions keeping track suitably clean became too much of a chore so battery was embarked upon.

Reactions: 1 user

curtis

Registered
27 Nov 2018
Jersey
Country
Jersey
hsbagardenrailway.com
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Curtis

Probably my expectation for the track cleaner, the first time I tried to run it kept stalling on me as the track wasn’t clean enough for the electrical pickup, which didn’t impress. I asked for advice from this site and was recommended the LGB red cleaning block which works very well giving a nice shinny surface but with some effort.

I think I need to have some patience and let it do its thing, several times if necessary. Quick once round with the block then round several times with the track cleaner, then once a month ish.

Robin
I see - yeah, I'd be frustrated too. I found generally when we moved to DCC everything felt more reliable but it perhaps a combination of that and the rail clamps.

For the version of the TLC (Track Cleaning Locomotive) I have, I also installed a Massoth Power Buffer. Ours would occasionally stop (but nowhere near the frequency yours seems to be doing). I figured it was, as Dunny said, because it is essentially an 0-4-0 with the two additional skates. The buffer changed that and now it's not an issue at all. The other option I've done previously is to run a loco behind like Gizzy to keep it moving over those dead spots (also helps on my uneven track work when heading up the hill)

I find once round with mine is enough for happy running. A second time is a charm but is usually not required.

I will periodically do a follow-up with another track cleaning pad on the BridgeMasters wagon. Does a good job of keep the gunk off the rail after the initial clean. In fact, I've found that if I've not run in a month or so, this will suffice. It doesn't polish the rail like the TLC but does seem to keep the locos happy.

Last edited:

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
I see - yeah, I'd be frustrated too. I found generally when we moved to DCC everything felt more reliable but it perhaps a combination of that and the rail clamps.

For the version of the TLC I have, I also installed a Massoth Power Buffer. Ours would occasionally stop (but nowhere near the frequency yours seems to be doing). I figured it was, as Dunny said, because it is essentially an 0-4-0 with the two additional skates. The buffer changed that and now it's not an issue at all. The other option I've done previously is to run a loco behind like Gizzy to keep it moving over those dead spots (also helps on my uneven track work when heading up the hill)

I find once round with mine is enough for happy running. A second time is a charm but is usually not required.

I will periodically do a follow-up with another track cleaning pad on the BridgeMasters wagon. Does a good job of keep the gunk off the rail after the initial clean. In fact, I've found that if I've not run in a month or so, this will suffice. It doesn't polish the rail like the TLC but does seem to keep the locos happy.
Read this few times and was slightly confused (not difficult), but then realised the TLC should be TCL (Track Cleaning Loco) and it fell into place :)

curtis

Registered
27 Nov 2018
Jersey
Country
Jersey
hsbagardenrailway.com
Best answers
Country flag
Read this few times and was slightly confused (not difficult), but then realised the TLC should be TCL (Track Cleaning Loco) and it fell into place :)
Added an explanation of the acronym I used :)