LGB LCE Improvement project

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
As said above - twin decoders were never a good solution and rewiring with one newer decoder is a sensible idea if this is the case. Dud motors are relatively rare but are not too expensive, and pretty easy, to replace. I have heard of the Mallet having the front motor washed out with over zealous use of smoke oil, but never seen one, and as i just said - not a major problem anyway.

Quite. A loco with twin 55021s is probably OK, but a pair of the older 55020s or, as in my case, a 55020/55030 setup (the only one I've ever seen like that), is REALLY best replaced. As an example, I bought a first-generation Rugen 0-8-0 (the Mh53 green one) second-hand from another forum member a few years back, and it ran terribly, slowing to a crawl even on R3 curves - pulling the old (single) 55020 and replacing it with a Massoth L (which is basically like a 55021 but better and cheaper) made the world of difference, it's now a lovely runner.....

Jon.

Reactions: 1 user

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
As said above - twin decoders were never a good solution and rewiring with one newer decoder is a sensible idea if this is the case. Dud motors are relatively rare but are not too expensive, and pretty easy, to replace. I have heard of the Mallet having the front motor washed out with over zealous use of smoke oil, but never seen one, and as i just said - not a major problem anyway.
On another thread I mentioned Mallett with a Motor that went bad also a Sachen. Wish I could remember if they were the front Motor with the Smoke issue, probably so which is as good a reason as any for not using smoke. A real breaze to swop out Motors in the IC unit as Stockers says.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I do some repairs, so see more 'poorly' engines than many..

Problem I mostly come across with the Mallet is where the owner *really* likes smoke.. They overfill the smoke unit, in them leaks through the loco, and finds its' way into the motor-block. The smoke-oil then contaminates the brushes and windings. - The oils also 'thins' the grease, causing it to move around as well.

Other problem is where one axle jumps a tooth on the drive-gear. This puts the motion out of quarter. There then tends to be a tight spot and the slow running is lumpy. - An easy fix.

PhilP.

Reactions: 1 user

Mcvie

Registered
25 Nov 2017
Kettle Falls, WA.
Best answers
So, I've sent back the LGB LCE. Had a big hoo haa with the seller. Went back and forth. I let ebay handle it. Sent it back yesterday. Full refund. Now, I can buy something I really want. Patience, no impulse buying.

Thanks for all the great information. I reread several of my posts and there are some pretty glaring misspellings and such. I will be more prudent with my proofing before sending.
MCChuck

Mcvie

Registered
25 Nov 2017
Kettle Falls, WA.
Best answers
Good early morning lads.

I have found a brand new LGB Mallet. It's the one with the green saddle tanks. It's a great deal and I'm in the process. So, with my new Shay, which is just a stunning engine, and the Mallet, that will be it for Engines for now.

I have to save ducats for German Passenger cars. It all makes me giddy with joy, something not in ready supply in this world.

I am having lots of fun with this hobby.

I will eventually want to put a sound card in this engine, but that will wait.

My most heartfelt wishes for a great holiday season for all on this board. I hope as well that the coming year is fruitful in all ways to you fellows.

McChuck

Reactions: 3 users