LGB 28002

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
What can anybody tell me about LGB 28002 just found one , and I like the look of it, says it has sound and is digital are they good bad or indifferent beasts :)

AustrianNG

Director of my railway
16 Sep 2015
Wirral
Best answers
Country flag
They are excellent locos Sid.
When Casey had one a few years back he tested its haulage capacity - it managed 86 axles !

If it's in very good condition, well worth the money.

It has no skates - so check the surface of the wheels for wear.

170309 023.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

itsmcgee

Registered
18 Apr 2012
Spokane Washington USA
Best answers
Country flag
I have the nonsound version that I put a zimo decoder with sound in. It is one of my favorite engines. It pulls absolutely great.
of course I changed the look slightly. :)
resizeb.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Agreed, great locos with immense power!
I'd just add one small note of caution: examples made around the start of the "MTS era", in the very early 2000s, may well have LGB's first-generation 55020 decoder installed - I bought a second-hand green one of that vintage (with factory sound and the aforementioned 55020), and found that it slowed down enormously on curves due to the drag caused by the 8-wheel chassis and the lack of back-EMF on the 55020 chip. Replacing the venerable decoder with a Massoth L, which is a straight plug-in swap, improved the running greatly.

If you find one that is just a little newer than that, say from about 2003 onwards, it is more likely to have the later 55021 decoder with full back-EMF.

Jon.

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Agreed, a great loco, and an excellent original - still in use on Rugen Island, N.E. Germany.

Reactions: 1 user

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, I have one too! DCC and sound fitted.

It's chunky....

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I have one as well, sits in its box in a downstairs cupboard. Been looking at it the last few days and think it needs some running this year. Not being in the loft gives it a much better chance of running. Not even been onto the Dunnynewbahn as yet. Last time it ran was on the Ruschbahn, Andy really liked it and it did pull pretty well every train it was asked too sounding great as it did so. Super little loco.

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the reply's, I will try to find out a bit more about it. it's never going to have to pull 86 axles on my line :) I don't own 86 axles to try it.. :( It was of interest for it's looks and it comes DCC ready and has sound, which is a plus knowing what it will cost for a sound chip to add to anything else.

KentKeith

Registered
24 Oct 2009
SouthEast Kent
Best answers
Country flag
Yep, we all seem to have them.........

RugenTrains-08.jpg

Reactions: 4 users

AustrianNG

Director of my railway
16 Sep 2015
Wirral
Best answers
Country flag
Indeed. :)

311208a 009.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Can I be the first to admit I don't have one? :)
No that I wouldn't like one but if I have any more locos they won't all fit on my layout at the same time.
LGB addict of Ascot.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
No that I wouldn't like one but if I have any more locos they won't all fit on my layout at the same time.
LGB addict of Ascot.
Oh go on you know you want one!

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
LGB addict of Ascot.

I could bring mine along to yours when the races are on....

Last edited:

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
You need to buy some more track, when you buy the loco! :)
:giggle::giggle::giggle:

idlemarvel

13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
I am tempted as I have just been reading Kleinbahnreise über die Insel Rügen Band 2: Strecken und Stationen (narrow gauge railways on the Rugen Islands volume 2 lines and stations) which is a magnificent book detailing every track and station with hundreds of photographs of the island lines some going back to the early 20th century. I love the train-carrying ferry link. Volume 1 covers locos I believe but there are plenty of pictures of locos in volume 2. The aforementioned 0-8-0Ts are featured heavily. Being 750mm gauge there is some commonality with Saxony narrow gauge locos which I am familiar with including 0-4-4-0T IVK Meyers and 2-10-2T VIIKs but they also had many of their own like a weird 0-6-4-0T (Prussian T36) which morphed into a 0-6-4T and a rather nice 0-4-4-0T Mallet. Not to mention the HF 110C 0-6-0TT and HF Kof 0-6-0 diesel shunter.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I love the train-carrying ferry link

So, can we expect a 'water feature' as well? :think:
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Some pictures of mine yesterday on a serious load test not entirely successful. It is a 28003 with Sound on board and in DR Black my colour scheme of choice. Load was 34 Axles all metal wheels. Managed to pull the load on the flatish main line but on backing down the loop it stalled on pulling the load back up the 1:30 on 4ft Radius Curve, hardly surprising. 10 axles worth of train detached and it managed just fine, these 10 axles were left at the bottom of the incline for the second trip. The 24 Axles left in Magdesprung to be dealt with a little later.

Below on the viaduct of the loop just before trying the feat of strength. You can see the height difference to be made up in around an 8ft Dia Circle and a few short lengths of straight.image.jpeg
Heading back home to another stall on the climb to Gernrode. Same 3 vehicles cut off and the job was completed.image.jpegimage.jpeg
The run round at Magdesprung prior to the return was a little tricky as the Train was too long for the loop there. Also it has to be considered that the first 4 vehicles in this consist sit in one siding at Genrode and the rest in another. So having returned from the loop with the 18 axles the loco runs round and propels these back onto the main line beyond the level crossing leaving sufficient room to run round for the next move. Loco returns down the loop to collect the remaining 10 axles (3 vehicles) runs to Magdesprung and runs round these propelling them back into the rest of the Train. All is now ready to return to Gernrode.

Another succesful bout of shunting and head scratching about how to get the job done in a prototypical way.

Reactions: 5 users

AustrianNG

Director of my railway
16 Sep 2015
Wirral
Best answers
Country flag
It's worth saying that the 28001 and 28002 are considerably heavier than 28003 and 28004 due to the elf and safety brigade banning lead from the ballast weights back in 2008/9.

This will considerably alter the haulage capacity.
So later models will definitely not haul 86 axles.

Reactions: 1 users

idlemarvel

13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
...Another successful bout of shunting and head scratching about how to get the job done in a prototypical way.
How about top and tail with a diesel? Several lines do that to avoid run-around at the terminus.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
How about top and tail with a diesel? Several lines do that to avoid run-around at the terminus.
Indeed that would have been an option, but for single handed control the faffing about was so much more fun. Also more likely what may have happened in a situation where a Loco was unexpectedly cought out with a load it could not manage. Any option of an assistant engine is always going to be the prefered choice but if none are easily or quickly available then the most prudent option would be chose.

As Austrianng says about the lesser haulage due to lack of weight on my 28003, the haulage capabilities of this loco had not been tested to their extreme prior to this run.