LGB 23194 Smoke Unit under DCC not working.

MarcOpperman

Registered
5 Mar 2023
Austin
Best answers
Country flag
Hi All, I have a couple of the C&S Moguls under the LGB 23194 model number, and both will smoke fine under analog operation, either on the layout or test track on rollers. However, when they are under DCC/MTS operation, the function key 7 is supposed to turn on the smoke generator. Basically, it might show a tiny tendril of smoke for a second, but generally doesn't produce smoke. I assume the voltage to the smoke function could be changed, but I can't figure out how that would be done with the CVs listed in the table for the loco instructions. Any advice? I'm attaching the CV table if that helps

Attachments

• LGB 23194 Programming 2.jpeg
    LGB 23194 Programming 2.jpeg
    296.3 KB · Views: 0

LGB333

TRADER
15 Feb 2015
McLean Virginia
www.olddominionrailways.com
Best answers
Country flag
Hi All, I have a couple of the C&S Moguls under the LGB 23194 model number, and both will smoke fine under analog operation, either on the layout or test track on rollers. However, when they are under DCC/MTS operation, the function key 7 is supposed to turn on the smoke generator. Basically, it might show a tiny tendril of smoke for a second, but generally doesn't produce smoke. I assume the voltage to the smoke function could be changed, but I can't figure out how that would be done with the CVs listed in the table for the loco instructions. Any advice? I'm attaching the CV table if that helps
I sent you a response last night with some suggestions to fix your smoker issue but it's not showing yet........maybe the site's monitors are reviewing it first before making it visible?

LGB333

TRADER
15 Feb 2015
McLean Virginia
www.olddominionrailways.com
Best answers
Country flag
I sent you a response last night with some suggestions to fix your smoker issue but it's not showing yet........maybe the site's monitors are reviewing it first before making it visible?
Okay, my mistake.........I responded to this issue on the MyLargeScale.com forum........Marc had posted his smoke generator issue on both forums. So, to share my response to him on that forum, I'm posting it below for those interested in my suggestions.

My Comments:
I checked the LGB 23194 Parts Diagram and, as I recall with these factory-installed Onboard decoders, the smoker is connected to a two-pin terminal. I believe this terminal has the function built into the board for F7 On/Off and there's no option to change the F key assignment or verify the assignment of F7. However, you could do a decoder reset as shown on your locomotive's CV Listing CV55 = 55 to see if that might fix the issue with the smoker's terminal activation with F7.

If that doesn't fix your issue, you could replace the existing 5v. smoker with an 18v. or 24v. smoke generator and remove the wires from the exising smoker terminals and solder the wires directly to the track power terminals on the connector to the motor block. I normally use 18v. smokers since most DCC systems output about 20 volts to the track and the smoker can handle the additional few volts. If your DCC system outputs 22- 24 volts to the track, I'd then use the 24v. smoker. Your smoker will be always powered connected to track power, which doesn't harm it, you only loose the ability to turn it on and off with your DCC throttle.......no big deal!

Another option: Send an email to Frank Noller, Massoth's customer support, at hotline@massoth.de and ask him if there's anything you can do to get the smoker's terminal to activate with F7. Massoth made all the LGB electronics for LGB locomotives until 2014 when Marklin started installing their own DCC decoders, the MSD3 mfx/dcc/dc decoder.

MarcOpperman

Registered
5 Mar 2023
Austin
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks, Thomas... as always, you've got great advice. I'll get a chance to try the decoder reset this weekend. Hopefully that does it. I did pull the smoker out of one of the units and it appears when I messed with it at one point, maybe I jammed the leads up next to the smoker. In any event, the leads were basically burned up, making me think the heat from the unit fried them.

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I responded on mylargescale with a possible fix, check it out.

Reactions: 1 user

Alpineandy

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Alpennines
Best answers
Country flag
If you have a multimeter check the voltage at the pins where the smoke unit is attached. The output at the pins is dependant on the DCC output voltage you have on the track. Check the smoke unit independently by using an analogue controller set at 5v if its a 5v smoke unit.
Sometimes the f7 function works in reverse where turning it on turns it off if you see what I mean. Hope this helps.

Reactions: 1 user