LGB 2044 wheels rub on cylinders

fairflixt

Vincent
27 Sep 2021
US
Best answers
Country flag
Hi everyone,

I recently came into possession of an analog, bright orange 2044. While running it, it noticeably slows on curved track. It's much more than other locos of similar size. At first I thought it might be the different wheel configuration or the large wheels. And while this might be true, after oiling axels and inspecting all manner of things I finally saw that the front wheels, are getting pushed into and rubbing on the cylinders on curved track. I couldn't find a thread discussing this and was wondering if the forum has a clever fix for preventing?

Thanks, as always,
Vince

Attachments

• 20240405_141303.jpg
    20240405_141303.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I presume you mean the RHB Electric Locomotive with the bogie wheels rubbing on the Air Cylinders? If so there could be something that is out of place on those Air Cylinders. Have you tried removing them, simple screw fit if I remember correct.

fairflixt

Vincent
27 Sep 2021
US
Best answers
Country flag
I presume you mean the RHB Electric Locomotive with the bogie wheels rubbing on the Air Cylinders? If so there could be something that is out of place on those Air Cylinders. Have you tried removing them, simple screw fit if I remember correct.
I do! It must be well known... I really did try to find a previous thread covering the topic! I was trying to upload a photo but it wasn't working on mobile so will do that later. I have not tried to remove them as I was hoping to stay true to the original look. But it's definitely worth trying just to diagnose the problem. At first blush, nothing looked wrong with the cylinders. I'll try and report back.

Fezwig

Registered
5 Jul 2016
Croft, Warrington
Best answers
Country flag
Just to confirm, what radius curve are you using?

fairflixt

Vincent
27 Sep 2021
US
Best answers
Country flag
Just to confirm, what radius curve are you using?
This occurred to me too. I have R1-R3 and felt I could tell for all of them. But your comment is a good push to set up a more rigorous test to see if thats actually the case. Perhaps the rubbing is only on smaller radii. When I get a chance to do that I will report back.

fairflixt

Vincent
27 Sep 2021
US
Best answers
Country flag
Turns out a screw isn't even involved, the cylinders just pop out!

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
This occurred to me too. I have R1-R3 and felt I could tell for all of them. But your comment is a good push to set up a more rigorous test to see if thats actually the case. Perhaps the rubbing is only on smaller radii. When I get a chance to do that I will report back.
In theory, all LGB should run through R1 OK.

At worst, you might be able to file a small recess in the tanks, now you've got them off, to stop the wheels rubbing :nerd:

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I am wondering if some of the track has inadvertently been laid to less than R1, this can occur if the rails are pushed inwards on curves slightly. I doubt very much could cause the problem. Well worth a check if you have a spare R1 curve lay ut upside down over the fishplates to see if the curve radius is consistent.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I wonder if the model dates from the time LGB were going through a bad patch?
Perhaps the wheels fitted are the wrong ones, and over diameter?

Not even sure this would be possible, but a square side-on photo may help..

PhilP

fairflixt

Vincent
27 Sep 2021
US
Best answers
Country flag
I wonder if the model dates from the time LGB were going through a bad patch?
Perhaps the wheels fitted are the wrong ones, and over diameter?

Not even sure this would be possible, but a square side-on photo may help..

PhilP
Here is what I had saved on the phone. I can try to take others if you'd like. One thing I noticed is that this set of bogies is the one that does not have the carbon brushes so there is no internal spring in the axle and now I'm wondering if that increases side to side travel of the axle just enough to rub on those cylinders.

Attachments

• 20240405_141118.jpg
    20240405_141118.jpg
    384.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240405_141148.jpg
    20240405_141148.jpg
    517.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240405_141211.jpg
    20240405_141211.jpg
    240.7 KB · Views: 0

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
This may be a 'red-herring' but looking again at your first photo:

I see a black ribbon-cable, and a blue wire? - I would not expect to see a blue wire, or either routed the way it is..

Has work been done on the loco?

I wonder if something is sitting proud / out of place?

PhilP

fairflixt

Vincent
27 Sep 2021
US
Best answers
Country flag

I see a black ribbon-cable, and a blue wire? - I would not expect to see a blue wire, or either routed the way it is..

PhilP
From memory, I would have said that modification is unlikely but I haven't taken it apart to be certain. There don't seem to be 2044 diagrams out there but the 20440 does indicate the presence of a ribbon cable. http://www.gbdb.info/data/zeichnung/LGB/2044.pdf

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I am now confused, is it the bogie or the main driving wheels rubbing?

Fezwig

Registered
5 Jul 2016
Croft, Warrington
Best answers
Country flag
This what I do when I'm building new rolling stock or if I have problems like things rubbing or worse like derailment, I have a spare piece of track that is the minimum curve (in your case R1) and turning the loco or vehicle upside-down place the track on, again upside-down and you should be able to see if there is any contact between the wheels and any body work or fittings (you may have to lift pilot/pony wheels up to the rails) if all is OK, then the problem could be a raised bit of track on your R1 curve causing the pilot/pony wheel to go up and hit the tank?20240422_090055.jpg20240422_090100.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

wandgrudd

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag

PhilP
Black ribbon cable with 1 side blue is factory fit in this loco mines identical, although I don't remember any rubbing but will have a look and report back shortly!

fairflixt

Vincent
27 Sep 2021
US
Best answers
Country flag
I am now confused, is it the bogie or the main driving wheels rubbing?
It's the bogie, not the main wheels. The rear set has carbon brushes while the front set with the cylinders does not. My theory was that this gives the axle more side to side travel. Rubbing on the cylinder requires the bogie to be pushed to the side as far as possible while also the side to side travel out as far as it can go.

fairflixt

Vincent
27 Sep 2021
US
Best answers
Country flag
This what I do when I'm building new rolling stock or if I have problems like things rubbing or worse like derailment, I have a spare piece of track that is the minimum curve (in your case R1) and turning the loco or vehicle upside-down place the track on, again upside-down and you should be able to see if there is any contact between the wheels and any body work or fittings (you may have to lift pilot/pony wheels up to the rails) if all is OK, then the problem could be a raised bit of track on your R1 curve causing the pilot/pony wheel to go up and hit the tank?View attachment 326532View attachment 326533
This is brilliant, I'll see if I can try to do this some time this week.

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I would also check the back to back of the wheels on that axle. - Could be set a little over gauge.

PhilP