Huddersfield Coal Tram

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
I have just bought a cheap book on tramways. Early Tramways in Yorkshire, £2.99 from PostScript reduced from £16.99. An interesting picture inside of a coal tram, an open wagon with trolley pole & electric motors. It's got to be worth modelling. I don't wish to infringe copyright by posting the picture but have a look at this web site.

Reactions: 1 user

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I have just bought a cheap book on tramways. Early Tramways in Yorkshire, £2.99 from PostScript reduced from £16.99. An interesting picture inside of a coal tram, an open wagon with trolley pole & electric motors. It's got to be worth modelling. I don't wish to infringe copyright by posting the picture but have a look at this web site.

It has always been a part of that Tramway that fascinated me, running from the side of Hillhouses Yard, under the viaduct to the power station the other side of the line over the tracks that carried passenger trams. There are a couple of books on Tramway Freight.
This also shows many interesting beasts.

DafyddElvy

1:22.5 & 15mm Scale Trams, , NG Steam Railways
10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
I think we often forget that trams played a bigger role in life than just transporting people, The Manx Electric Railway is a typical example, they even had a special wagon chassis on which horse drawn wagons could easily be loaded for transportation with their load.

Moving away from britain, Porto had coal wagons for the specific use of transporting coal to the power station.

A another whole world of temptation of prototypes to model.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I think we often forget that trams played a bigger role in life than just transporting people, The Manx Electric Railway is a typical example, they even had a special wagon chassis on which horse drawn wagons could easily be loaded for transportation with their load.

Moving away from britain, Porto had coal wagons for the specific use of transporting coal to the power station.

A another whole world of temptation of prototypes to model.
Indeed so, on my first visit to the IOM circa 1970’s there were Trams with a Van that was still being used to transport Mail from Douglas up to Ramsey and likely in between plus return as well.

DafyddElvy

1:22.5 & 15mm Scale Trams, , NG Steam Railways
10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Indeed so, on my first visit to the IOM circa 1970’s there were Trams with a Van that was still being used to transport Mail from Douglas up to Ramsey and likely in between plus return as well.
I don't suppose you took any photos of vans and wagons at the time?

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Obviously the Wisbech and Upwell tram was a good example, although not an urban tramway, it still ran along the roads

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Obviously the Wisbech and Upwell tram was a good example, although not an urban tramway, it still ran along the roads
Yeah there are some good photos on t'internet, but it's not an electric tram - to all intents and purposes, apart from the odd-ball coaches, it's a railway. Even the tram locos were used elsewhere - the docks mainly, although the skirts were a particular requirement for roadside running on the W&U ;)

One of the coaches ended up in Mid-suffolk (you'll find a picture in your Country Railways book :):):) )

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
The Chicago underground freight system is technically a tramway delivering coal and removing ash from many buildings in downtown Chicago. It ran under the river, and one day the water got in and flooded the whole thing. Fascinating system.
Chicago's Freight Tunnels - Under Your Feet - The University of Chicago Library

uyf42.original.png

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Yeah there are some good photos on t'internet, but it's not an electric tram - to all intents and purposes, apart from the odd-ball coaches, it's a railway. Even the tram locos were used elsewhere - the docks mainly, although the skirts were a particular requirement for roadside running on the W&U ;)

One of the coaches ended up in Mid-suffolk (you'll find a picture in your Country Railways book :):):) )
And there is one that now runs on the North Norfolk Railway.

Software Tools

Registered
18 Jan 2013
Sydney, Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Denver Tramways flat motor 761 (locally called a Submarine) hauling a carload of coal down Broadway to the boiler room at South Division, on Broadway and Alaska, circa 1948. Denver Tramways was built by British interests and used 3'6" track gauge. (Photo from John Cox)

Denver Coal Tram.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Southend Coal Tram, 1/24 scale by Tony Cook.

View attachment 310736
Well remember in my youth walking along Southend front to get to Thorpe Bay where we always used to be on the beech by the saltwater swimming pool. The track from a short pier along the way crossed the road Tramway like to get to the Gas Works not far from the Kursal (Amusement park) Never saw anything running. This picture shows the Jetty (Right and looks to be partially demolished) in 1970 after its closure in 1968.
76F6484B-C2E3-484B-9C7C-7389825377F9.jpeg
Not sure how long the Trams lasted but as I say never saw one sadly. The Kursal would have been somewhere to the left of the big Gasholder.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Well remember in my youth walking along Southend front to get to Thorpe Bay where we always used to be on the beech by the saltwater swimming pool. The track from a short pier along the way crossed the road Tramway like to get to the Gas Works not far from the Kursal (Amusement park) Never saw anything running. This picture shows the Jetty (Right and looks to be partially demolished) in 1970 after its closure in 1968.
View attachment 310740
Not sure how long the Trams lasted but as I say never saw one sadly. The Kursal would have been somewhere to the left of the big Gasholder.
Many of the UK tram systems had very short lives, as buses took over quite quickly.