Hello from Huddersfield, UK.

G scale Simon

Registered
13 Jan 2023
Huddersfield
Best answers
Country flag
Hi, I'm Simon and I live in Huddersfield, West Yorkshire. Thanks for letting me join G scale central.
I got a Piko starter set for Christmas and have built, have a tiny "Inglenook" style layout in my living room. It's only 54" long, so I should be running the LGB field railway tipper wagons, but in the end, I couldn't resist buying an Aral tank wagon.
I'm just a bit stuck though, because the mains plug that came in the starter set has only two pins and I did try to plug it into a shaver plug with the two holes, but it doesn't seem to fit and so, I'm not quite sure what plug I need. Please can anyone advise ? Many thanks.20221222_095524.jpg

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Hello Simon,
Welcome to the Forum!

You have made a very good start, and we all are have 'something' which doesn't 'fit' with our railways. :giggle:

Regarding your problem with the 2-pin mains connector:

You may be able to find a 'travel adaptor' to fit a UK socket, that will take your plug?

Another option, is the mains lead separate? - If so, you should be able to source one with a UK plug to fit.

Enjoy you train!
PhilP.

Reactions: 1 user

The Shed

Citizen of the Republic of the North East.
8 Mar 2020
Darlington, County Durham.
Country
England
Best answers

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
I would ensure that it is 230 volts and not an American controller at 110 volts, just in case.

Welcome to the forum, please do ask questions, but provide as much information, and somebody should be able to help. We love to see photos, so keep it up, but be aware of the dodgy humour :)

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome from North Yorkshire.

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Hi and welcome to the madness

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Shouldn't that be the other way around, you're the puny one ;)
I do hope that was a bastardisation of the English language and puny was intended to mean 'prone to puns' and not the dictionary meaning 'small, underdeveloped, stunted, undernourished, disappointing.

David

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
I do hope that was a bastardisation of the English language and puny was intended to mean 'prone to puns' and not the dictionary meaning 'small, underdeveloped, stunted, undernourished, disappointing.

David
You are correct it is supposed to be 'prone to puns', but loses something with explanation.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I read 'pongy one' and 'prone to prunes'!
:p;)

PhilP

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag

PhilP
That's plumming new depths, I don't give a fig for your comments, I thought mine was a peach.

David

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Hello Simon. :)
Yeah, you need to look at the transformer specs and make sure it is 230 volts or thereabouts. If it is an LGB power pack, the red coloured ones are 230 volts and the grey coloured ones are 110 volts. I'm not familiar with Piko power packs.
I'm in Australia so when I get 230 volt packs with UK/Euro style plugs, I just chop them off and wire on an Aussie style 230 volt plug.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome, as you must have read, the jokes are appalling! As advised ensure your power pack is 230/240 volts, if in doubt, get expert knowledge

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Hullo Simon and welcome to the forum.

Do you have a photo of your transformer you can post here?

For your plug connection, try and find a European Travel Adaptor, as the prongs are slightly further apart than a shaver, or you could fit a re-wirable UK Mains plug if you are competent to do so....

TTaannggss

Hates T.P.& r1Cur. Retired for 3 after 40 in Hosp.
29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
Hello and welcome to the Forum. You can save yourself from a lot of headaches by just keeping it Simple Simon.

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag

PhilP
Ah, my clockwork!

So you can see (or not) the funny side of things on here! Welcome to the Forum Simon!

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum Simon, used to live at Horbury Bridge near Osset, on the bus route from Hudds to Wakey. A Garden Railway was built there but never got any track laid, that was in the late 70’s where the availability of 16mm scale 32mm gauge track except Mamod was near non existent. Now living darn souf.

See you have made your first purchasing bobo, we have all been guilty of buying with our hearts rather than with the theme we have in mind. Can’t see the buffers on the Aral Tank, but I believe it to be something that the RHB Metre Gauge line in Switzerland may use. A centre single buffer only would suggest this. If so is that your long term aim in the garden or do you wish to run just what you like? Some years back I decided that the Metre Gauge lines of the Harz Mountains in former East Germany were my theme and have pretty well stuck to that over the years since 2004, moving on where possible those ‘nice’ bobo purchases.

But good to start with an ingle nook, lets you get the feel of the scale and can be a lot of fun shunting. Not sure if you are aware of the writings of the sadly gone Mr. Arendt, below is a link to the site. Lots of interesting stuff that can be adapted to our use. There are also ways to get some randomness into shunting that have been in the press over the years. old Playing cards with picture of the wagon stuck on, shuffled then pick out say 3 then do the shunt to make up that train. Then do the shuffle and pick again, the variations to be found can while an hour or two away quite easily.