Hello from Clearwater, FL, USA

TTaannggss

Hates T.P.& r1Cur. Retired for 3 after 40 in Hosp.
29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
LOL, never, was cold but not white!
I saw that it was going down to 0c in your area. But later I saw 0 chance of precip. Mark my words in your life time you will look out and see snow....I think.

TTaannggss

29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
Nice about the decoders. You will have quite the set up when you are done and look forward to seeing pictures. I think I might keep an eye out for more straight track.

Brian Boyer

Registered
12 Oct 2022
Clearwater, FL, USA
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
So, just bought 2 RailPro "decoders" with sound, now the install, I guess I can do that on bad weather days and start tearing up my yard and get this show on the road on nice days (well weekends anyway).. lol. And acquired even more track, 3rd expansion before even laying the first piece of track.

Reactions: 1 user

TTaannggss

29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
Where ya getting all these deals? Keep the pics coming and feel free to check out my snow plow thread. Thanks Brian. Jim.

Brian Boyer

Registered
12 Oct 2022
Clearwater, FL, USA
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Where ya getting all these deals? Keep the pics coming and feel free to check out my snow plow thread. Thanks Brian. Jim.
The track is coming from a local store that puts GREAT prices on used track, picked up 5 section of used 2' LGB track for..... $9.00 total out the door...well $9.63 with tax. And I'll def check out your snow plow thread!

TTaannggss

29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
Ya well I will be looking at Tampa hobby shops online. Today I talked to a guy 45 minutes away. He wanted 60 can which is around 44.50 us for 7 feet of straight track with no connecters. I said make it an even 10 feet adding curved for 60 and he said nope...... I am happy with what I got just ya always want a bit more.

Last edited:

Brian Boyer

Registered
12 Oct 2022
Clearwater, FL, USA
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Ya well I will be looking at Tampa hobby shops online. Today I talked to a guy 45 minutes away. He wanted 60 can which is around 43 us as a guess for 7 feet of straight track with no connecters. I said make it an even 10 feet adding curved for 60 and he said nope...... I am happy with what I got just ya always want a bit more.
I got from Zitniks Train store in Largo FL. But over all yeah track prices are crazy, love that this shop seems to have a small supply of used track on hand all the time.

TTaannggss

29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
Merci beaucoup

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Ya well I will be looking at Tampa hobby shops online. Today I talked to a guy 45 minutes away. He wanted 60 can which is around 44.50 us for 7 feet of straight track with no connecters. I said make it an even 10 feet adding curved for 60 and he said nope...... I am happy with what I got just ya always want a bit more.
Just had a look at EBAY USA, second hand track does not appear to be a thing over the pond. Yes I know you are in Canada. Surely there must be some kind of second hand market over there, perhaps one of the other large scale Webb sites? Strange, second hand track regularly appears in here and some times slow to move unless it is almost being given away. For a dead rail line like yours second hand or pre used if you prefer is surely ideal. Much of my line has been provided with pre-owned track.

TTaannggss

29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
My line is 2/3 new as a guess. . As for dead rail. The origional plan was track power and was encouraged here to stay track power...so needed new track. In Canada I can buy stuff on eBay but shipping is pricy.

Last edited:

Brian Boyer

Registered
12 Oct 2022
Clearwater, FL, USA
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Rough couple of days here, just getting over the Flu, on the upside my 2 receiver decoders with sound are out for delivery (guess I'll be tearing into 2 of my 3 engines to get decoders installed) I really need to start laying track...lol

TTaannggss

29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
Brian I hope you did not catch the Wouhan Wonton Flue... Not me yet knock on wood.

TTaannggss

29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
I also bought stuff of of Kijji. I got 2 boxes of straight track from a town just south of here. But he is the one who encouraged me to take the plunge to track power. And that I can just use the power pack from my battery operated drill. Not good. The 20v is what blew my front motor I think.

TTaannggss

29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
Well you would know Greg. You are the expert. All I know is that my poor engine is going through a hard time now with no issues. I had many derails today including having to literally drag it and my snow plow want to be twice out of my tunnel....and still works fine. I had my engine hooked up to the 20v for less than 5 seconds cus it was reving way too high in my opinion. I am a newbie. Just hate learning the hard way. Thanks though I really do appreciate all your advice. Also I am only down to 2 spots where there are possible derail issues now and will modify the track accordingly.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Yep, 24v won't burn up the motor, and 20v will still be going like a rocket ship.

What is the control system now? (How do you control speed?)

The danger is wearing out your single motor block. You said you hate learning the hard way, but honestly you have ignored a lot of advice. You were advised not to run on a single motor block some time ago.

Best of luck to you of course.

Greg

TTaannggss

29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
Ok the second front engine still works but it is a lot weaker. Finding a second engine that is the same strength as my back one is a challenge. Plan now is to continue using just rear engine and when and if it burns out to use the front one I pulled out but with a higher voltage. Advantage to using only 1 motor is that battery life is double. But as you said. I will continue having motor problems as long as I am using lots of r1 curves on my main line. When and if the second motor burns out I will be looking for preferabley two new motors if it is cost effective. If not I might get two little hamsters ...one for each truck to pull it. I already put up a picture of the control module so here is another pic.

Attachments

• PXL_20230112_023653788.jpg
    PXL_20230112_023653788.jpg
    335.5 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20230112_023627952.jpg
    PXL_20230112_023627952.jpg
    279.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Why do you think the battery lasts twice as long?

In a properly functioning loco, there is virtually no difference.

two motors, each will do half the work a single motor will do... it's a basic law of physics.

The fact that all your motors work at different speeds means they are damaged somehow, or you have bearing problems. I would invest the time to fix them right, as opposed to running them until they fail and you have to replace EVERYTHING.

I'm going to keep reminding you that you say you don't like learning things the hard way, well your current course is the hard way again, honestly.

Since it's winter, a perfect time to learn, rebuild the motor blocks, find out what is wrong and get at least one loco running right.

Greg

Reactions: 1 user