Has anyone installed R/C in an Accucraft Sabrina?

steamhostler

Indoors SM32 Live Steam modeling in the USA
31 Dec 2021
Colorado Springs, CO
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Just received an Accucraft Sabrina and want to R/C it. Where did you mount the batteries? In the roof like a Roundhouse, or in that empty box underneath the cab?
Is there some commercial source for the servo mounts, or do you have to scratch build the mounts? Any help appreciated...

I'm also talking with Terry at SloMo about maybe mounting a SloMo since between the frames is empty of valve gear. Hopefully that can be accomplished...

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Probably in the box below the cab, that's where the batteries on my Accucraft Caradoc are. There may even be room to fit the card. Talk to Accucraft, they probably have the correct servo mount for your loco

steamhostler

31 Dec 2021
Colorado Springs, CO
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
I've talked with Accucraft and they do not supply any fittings for R/C components, nor do they supply any locos with factory R/C, unlike Roundhouse who does.

steamhostler

31 Dec 2021
Colorado Springs, CO
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Ive got a Roundhouse Katie which is a saddle tank loco and the box under the footplate holds the receiver and the shutoff switch, the servos are in the cab, and the batteries are under the cab roof.
Since the Acc. Sabrina has a safety valve going thru the cab roof, there is no room for batteries up there.
I suppose the batteries might be fitted inside the saddle tank, like many side tank engines have, but they won't be easily changeable, so thy would have to be charged mounted in the engine.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
I'll photograph the set in my Caradoc later

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
20220130_115721.jpg20220130_115716.jpg20220130_115632.jpg20220130_115641.jpg
As promised some pics of my Caradoc. I think this was factory fitted as the speed is controlled by the forward/reverser as I believe is normal with Accucraft locos

andyspencer

Registered
30 Oct 2009
West Midlands
Best answers
Country flag
Just received an Accucraft Sabrina and want to R/C it. Where did you mount the batteries? In the roof like a Roundhouse, or in that empty box underneath the cab?
Is there some commercial source for the servo mounts, or do you have to scratch build the mounts? Any help appreciated...

I'm also talking with Terry at SloMo about maybe mounting a SloMo since between the frames is empty of valve gear. Hopefully that can be accomplished...
Just fitted one last week. Batteries went on the box under floor. It doesn't need servo brackets, they bolt in through the floor unlike the earlier locos from Accurcraft. You will need a 90 degree bell crank from Dave Mees for the regulator, pushrod fittings and some 2mm servo push rod

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
I've talked with Accucraft and they do not supply any fittings for R/C components, nor do they supply any locos with factory R/C, unlike Roundhouse who does.
Well, I don't know who you talked to, but Accucraft supplies several locos as "R/C Ready" with bell cranks on the throttle, etc., instead of knobs, plus pipes through the water bath for wires. Not much, but certainly more than they told you!
In addition, the UK dealer, Accucraft UK, often sells locos with R/C fitted. I have a "Countess" that is r/c rigged and works great.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
There's no mention of RC in any of the reviews of this loco I've read, but I'm sure there is someone around who would fit for you.

steamhostler

31 Dec 2021
Colorado Springs, CO
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Just fitted one last week. Batteries went on the box under floor. It doesn't need servo brackets, they bolt in through the floor unlike the earlier locos from Accurcraft. You will need a 90 degree bell crank from Dave Mees for the regulator, pushrod fittings and some 2mm servo push rod
Would you be able to post some pictures of the servo and bellcrank mounting? A picture is worth a thousand words...
I've got all of the components on hand, and just received a bell crank from Accucraft USA.