Give up on DCC

LGB333

TRADER
15 Feb 2015
McLean Virginia
www.olddominionrailways.com
Best answers
Country flag
I had this loco converted to DCC Zimo over 10 years ago. I haven't enjoyed it since. Ended up selling my Zimo Controllers. I suppose I'm just more of a DC guy, I like my old controller (the throttle pack from the 80s).

The train LGB 2080S does have a powered synchronized smoke fan now which is cool. Too bad I can use it. Any suggestions for *another* upgrade? I was thinking wifi and mobile app at this point with DC just turned up on the track.
If you want to convert to Battery DC operation, GScaleGraphics.com has some good basic systems available. Some pulse smokers like Massoth have analog and DCC units that only work with their designed power, others like MD-Electronics will work inn both analog and DCC........don't know about Proline. I recently tested the new version Massoth analog pulsed smoker and it works great on DC from 5 - 6 volts up. I've sold over 20 ESU CabControl DCC Wireless Systems to customers during last two years and excellent unit for a German-designed unit costing only $400. There are other China-made systems that are also reasonably priced but I have no experience with them, but other users here do have.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Can't really tell what the priorities are, I suggested the lowest cost solution, all he adds is the BlueRail receiver, no other cost. I do know about the proline smoke unit, no smarts in it, direct drive of fan and heater from the existing Zimo decoder. If price is no object, well then

LGB333

TRADER
15 Feb 2015
McLean Virginia
www.olddominionrailways.com
Best answers
Country flag
Can't really tell what the priorities are, I suggested the lowest cost solution, all he adds is the BlueRail receiver, no other cost. I do know about the proline smoke unit, no smarts in it, direct drive of fan and heater from the existing Zimo decoder. If price is no object, well then
Greg, you've also mentioned before on DCC system choice between a basic setup like you've outlined, that buying a name brand system you do get technical support, warranty support (ESU is 2 years), and excellent documentation. Non-techie types may find that the better route to go instead of the cheaper approach you suggested.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Uhhh..... have you read the original post? The topic title also?

He wants out of DCC... but he has loco with DCC decoder already installed.

I think you need to re-read the thread.... I am NOT suggesting a DCC system.... read up on BlueRail which was my first suggestion.

Greg

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
I'm an advocate too, and think he should have stayed, but it's not my job to convince him, and he already sold his DCC system.

Just like the battery mavens that swoop in on a track powered thread, we should respect the OP, even if we disagree. He's got a bad taste in his mouth, and while he has not stated explicitly, he seems to be cost conscious, so DC track power, would be the cheapest, notice his responses about that.

Greg

Andrew_au

Registered
12 Nov 2021
Sydney, Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Something to note:

A fully battery system ("dead rail") can ignore polarity issues. However, if you go track power and BlueRail for control, you still need to be concerned about track polarity - you can still short out your power system on reversing loops and the like if you don't have the proper electronics.

With DC + BlueRail you still drive the track at 100% power, but the control signalling goes across Bluetooth directly to the loco decoder rather than modifying the track protocol for signalling. If you cut track power then your loco will stop moving (as per DC), but so will your BlueRail system!

I've started looked into Bluetooth for control. One interesting feature is that a track-powered Bluetooth controlled loco can run on basically any system capable of providing suitable track power, whether DC or DCC. Although on a DC system you need to convince the system owner to leave the track fully powered, which might not be how the layout is designed to work. DCC is fine - it just rectifies the track power to a consistent full-power DC signal and ignores the DCC signalling.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Note farmboy is in the usa.

For track power, you just add a single component, a full wave bridge between the track pickups and the Bluerail unit. Simple, cheap, and it is not "electronics" plural ha ha!

Farmboy has not been very forthcoming on priorities, but he did use the word "expensive" so trying to find the most simple answer and really protect his investment in the decoder in the loco which has chuffing smoke and sound.

Of course he could go battery, but more cost and the smoke unit goes out the window from a practical point of view.

It also has been stated he is a "DC kind of guy" and he does have a DC controller.

So, luckily the "full court press" to go battery has not erupted here.... hope he comments soon, a lot of helpful people, little feedback on the solutions offered.

Greg

Andrew_au

Registered
12 Nov 2021
Sydney, Australia
Best answers
Country flag
For track power, you just add a single component, a full wave bridge between the track pickups and the Bluerail unit. Simple, cheap, and it is not "electronics" plural ha ha!
Hi Greg. I was thinking of a different scenario - the train shorting out the power supply as it crossed the reversing loop boundary.

That said, a standard DC setup also needs the same protection against this scenario. My point is just that going Bluetooth for control doesn't absolve you of thinking about track power edge cases.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
uhh.... I'm pretty sure no reversing loops, especially if he says he is a DC guy. No protection needed if no reversing loops.

If he had them, he's probably use the Massoth/LGB one in "sensor mode", which would avoid shorts.

I don't think anyone was forgetting the pros and cons of track power.

Greg