Give up on DCC

farmboy2

Registered
19 Dec 2021
Colorado
Best answers
Country flag
I had this loco converted to DCC Zimo over 10 years ago. I haven't enjoyed it since. Ended up selling my Zimo Controllers. I suppose I'm just more of a DC guy, I like my old controller (the throttle pack from the 80s).

The train LGB 2080S does have a powered synchronized smoke fan now which is cool. Too bad I can use it. Any suggestions for *another* upgrade? I was thinking wifi and mobile app at this point with DC just turned up on the track.

Attachments

• PXL_20221223_234345109.jpg
    PXL_20221223_234345109.jpg
    652.8 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20221223_234019327.jpg
    PXL_20221223_234019327.jpg
    553.9 KB · Views: 0

farmboy2

Registered
19 Dec 2021
Colorado
Best answers
Country flag
And I don't have to have anything other than the original power supply on the track?

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
You can feed it constant track power, you will have to add the receiver...

The receiver takes power, and BlueTooth commands... it then drives the existing DCC decoder directly..

So you remove the track to decoder connection (2 wires) and put the new BlueRail module in place.

That is it.

Greg

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
As Greg says there are many systems out there that do dead rail DCC. Have a look at this thread there are linked a few of my Dead Rail DCC conversions. Biggest issue is finding space for the battery. With a screw fit to the RX (receiver) and Chip setup a breeze. There are a few systems in the USA so do a bit of research.

This link shows a test setup using Crest Dead Rail DCC which I think is still available your side of the pond.

DougLN

NARROW GAUGE RAILWAYS
5 Jul 2010
DIDCOT,OXON
Best answers
Country flag
I started G scale in 1993 for my small indoor layout long before DCC. I have a lot of locos but felt no need to DCC fit them. I only run one train at a time. My layout has sections which can switched on/off. I have enjoyed my G experience, especially in retirement from railways in 1999.

Reactions: 1 user

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I have both DC only and DCC/DC enabled trains. I use a dpdt switch to choose the power to my track/s. My back and forth is DC only with the very old Aristo reversing unit.

Reactions: 1 user

farmboy2

Registered
19 Dec 2021
Colorado
Best answers
Country flag
It was a leading question in retrospect. I am giving up on DCC. And I'm wondering how to get my 2080 running on analog. The whole DCC thing happened because I wanted pulsed smoke and repaired sounds (the analog took a dump).

So... Now I'm thinking. Rip out the Zimo. Wire motor right to track. Rip out ProLine smoke and replace with
Masmoth 8413101 - Pulsed Smoke Generator for Analog Operation.
And replace Zimo sound with LGB 65000 European Steam Sound Unit?
And go back to the 2080 hall effects!?
Pricey, I think it work. Any thoughts?

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Yeah, sell me your Zimo.... :D Oh, I see you sold your "controllers".... nuts.

Most people are worried about money and cost to convert. I gave you my best low cost conversion idea.

Simple to do, but yeah, you could make it all analog...

Greg

farmboy2

Registered
19 Dec 2021
Colorado
Best answers
Country flag
Really? You want the zimo?

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
my first line was intended to reference the controller(s), throttle and command station, the decoder is a good one, but 10 years old, and some improvements have been made.

Greg

Last edited:

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Can't the ZIMO loco decoder be set to run all those features in analog mode by modifying a few CVs? You probably will not have on/off control of sound or smoke but you may have a physical volume control and smoke unit may have an auto over-temp cutout. Wont cost you anything.

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Never mind - I see the from the Trainli site that the ProLine smoke unit needs at least 12V-13V to generate decent smoke and no mention of a cutoff feature. I should have looked before posting my suggestion in #13. You loco will probably be running too fast for your liking at that point!

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
I'm not sure what the installation is, BUT

if it has the ProLine smoke unit, then it should run fine from analog also.

The proline was used since it is basically 4 wires, 2 for the fan and 2 for the heater, and the Zimo does all the work.

That should work in analog also.

If you had it done 10 years ago, it was most likely done by Dan Pierce, who is still around.

I'm surprised it does not work on analog, did you try it? Perhaps it has analog turned off.

It might be very simple with a couple of changes.

Greg

chris m01

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Birmingham, UK
Best answers
Country flag
I'm very happily part DC and part battery radio control. The battery radio control allows a few features, such as whistles, to be added to the locos. My smaller locos are BPRC while my larger ones are track DC. My points are controlled by my smartphone through a bluetooth receiver. The bluetooth receiver isn't man enough to push LGB point motors 40 foot from the power source so the bluetooth receiver powers a relay and the relay sends power to the point motors. As my phone is always by my side I always have access to changing my points.

Maybe I'm old fashioned but I still think the original Train Engineer was the best and most cost effective way of controlling trains outdoors. It worked without any fuss and didn't cost the earth.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Maybe I'm old fashioned but I still think the original Train Engineer was the best and most cost effective way of controlling trains outdoors. It worked without any fuss and didn't cost the earth.
Yes, agreed, shame about the demise, one reason I moved on to fully dead rail.

farmboy2

Registered
19 Dec 2021
Colorado
Best answers
Country flag
What is Train Engineer? All I've ever used is the LGB DC and Zimo DCC.

DCC definitely feels like it was just a stop gap bump in the road on the way to modern world with lithium batteries and Bluetooth.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
What is Train Engineer? All I've ever used is the LGB DC and Zimo DCC.

DCC definitely feels like it was just a stop gap bump in the road on the way to modern world with lithium batteries and Bluetooth.
I think that is a bit harsh on DCC which is and will be very popular both now and in the future. But as I have gone dead rail not quite sure why I am saying this. However my G loft Railway, 00 Coal Mine Railway and some 009 locomotives are using DCC and long will they do so. But I concede your point, in my Garden dead rail is the future and with DCC chips powered by battery to boot.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Your statement about DCC contrasting it with batteries and bluetooth really makes no sense...

• DCC is a control protocol, it is not a battery nor a wireless standard
  • Batteries are not a control protocol nor a wireless standard
  • Bluetooth is a wireless standard, not a control protocol or a battery.
So none of these 3 things compare to each other.

DCC is clearly the most widely used control protocol for model trains, and technically it is no longer DCC if transmitted wirelessly.

You started this thread complaining about DCC, and say you are a DC guy, but then you want to control your DCC loco's advanced features on DC.

So, if you go to some proprietary wireless protocol, like BlueRail, or RailPro or Train Engineer Revolution (which is a current product), you will again encounter complexity for advanced features.

I will give you this, the early Zimo code was not perfect, and the Zimo system is one of the more complex systems out there, it can do just about anything, but figuring out the "beginner set" of operations was a bit tough, (that's why I have a number of pages on my site on how to get started). The firmware is mightily improved and Zimo keeps improving and adding features without forcing you to buy their decoders or bend to their will as other European DCC systems do.

Not sure what your beef is, but are you actually seeking a solution? I gave you a solution that would be the easiest conversion and answer what you asked, how to control your smoke unit, and not disturb your installation.

Any progress?

Greg

Last edited: