CS3+ S88 Shuttle control

Diesel2000

Registered
18 Feb 2020
Chicago
Best answers
Country flag
Any limitation on the length of the cat5e cable from the CS3+ to the 60881? I'm clutching at straws now... Tried different ports on the controller. Running out of options.

You had said that the 60881 to CS3+ connection is working, correct? Back in post #10 you said it was all working. I didnt catch it at the time but what 'Controlling Contact' setting are you referring to?

The track contacts come in pairs, and I was wondering if you have tried both contacts? In the 56 Massoth digital contacts that I have I did have 1 that just didnt work at all from the start and i had to replace it.

How long a cable connection between the 60881 and CS3+ do you have? I'm using a 10ft cable and it works just fine.

Do you have a pic of the whole setup? It might be helpful to see how its all connected together. The S88 need the RJ45 connected in a particular direction to the CS3. Then there is the System->System(Settings)->TFP3->Settings->Length S88-bus. What is that set to?

pmindigo

Registered
25 Aug 2021
Scott’s Valley CA
Best answers
Country flag
You had said that the 60881 to CS3+ connection is working, correct? Back in post #10 you said it was all working. I didnt catch it at the time but what 'Controlling Contact' setting are you referring to?

The track contacts come in pairs, and I was wondering if you have tried both contacts? In the 56 Massoth digital contacts that I have I did have 1 that just didnt work at all from the start and i had to replace it.

How long a cable connection between the 60881 and CS3+ do you have? I'm using a 10ft cable and it works just fine.

Do you have a pic of the whole setup? It might be helpful to see how its all connected together. The S88 need the RJ45 connected in a particular direction to the CS3. Then there is the System->System(Settings)->TFP3->Settings->Length S88-bus. What is that set to?
Yes, the 60881 detected that I shorted pin 1 to gnd. The contact on the cs3+ turned yellow, then black when the short was removed. Cat5 is 25 ft.
The cable is connected to the rj45 on the top left of the 60881. This is one of a number of undocumented items. Fortunately saw a YouTube video that details where to connect the cat5 cable to the 60881.
I’ve attached photos of the settings. Not sure if you’re getting them.
Looking at the TF3P on the system menu.
GFP3-1
Item number - 60216
Version 12.113
Serial number 1514
voltage. 22.5v
Status inquiry interval - 5

Settings:
Name - GFP3-1
ID - 1
Power supply- 60151, 60101
6095 Time-correction - norm
Length S88-buss - 5
Cycle time S88 Buss 100 ms
S88 Buss Bittime. 167 us

Attachments

• IMG_1737.jpeg
    IMG_1737.jpeg
    335.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1736.jpeg
    IMG_1736.jpeg
    312.5 KB · Views: 0

pmindigo

Registered
25 Aug 2021
Scott’s Valley CA
Best answers
Country flag
Contacts are setup on the article list under GFP3-1 as reed contacts.
Bus 1, Modul 1, contacts 1 and 2, Switch to GF3P-1

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I don't use a CS3, but I am failing to see if the unit is being shown on the screen, and indicates when contacts are closing, what part 'isn't working'?

I must have missed something?

PhilP

Diesel2000

Registered
18 Feb 2020
Chicago
Best answers
Country flag
I don't use a CS3, but I am failing to see if the unit is being shown on the screen, and indicates when contacts are closing, what part 'isn't working'?

I must have missed something?

PhilP
Thats also what i dont understand. In post #10 he said it was all working and indications are the CS3+ and S88 module are working if he can short the terminals and receive the closed signal in the CS3. The configuration in the CS3 all looks correct, so the only thing I can surmise isnt working are the Massoth track contacts and whether or not they are receiving appropriate DCC track power and responding to a magnet being passed over top. The magnet needs to be fairly close - ie the space of the motor block bottom to where the contact sticks up from the track.

The black/black wire pair of the track contact needs to be connected to each side of the rail, or to the DCC power bus from the CS3. The brown/black pair needs to be connected black to ground (on the S88, there are 2 - 1 by port 1 and 1 by port 16) and brown to the numbered terminal. The terminals in each S88 module are fixed, meaning the one numbered 1 needs to be configured in the CS3 as the proper module number (1 if only using 1 module) and then the correct port number its plugged into. This cant be changed. The name of the contact in the CS3 is irrelevant. In my example I use F for feedback, but I believe the default is K.

The Massoth digital contacts have no programming capabilities of their own. They are just static hall sensor devices with no decoder built-in.

pmindigo

Registered
25 Aug 2021
Scott’s Valley CA
Best answers
Country flag
Thats also what i dont understand. In post #10 he said it was all working and indications are the CS3+ and S88 module are working if he can short the terminals and receive the closed signal in the CS3. The configuration in the CS3 all looks correct, so the only thing I can surmise isnt working are the Massoth track contacts and whether or not they are receiving appropriate DCC track power and responding to a magnet being passed over top. The magnet needs to be fairly close - ie the space of the motor block bottom to where the contact sticks up from the track.

The black/black wire pair of the track contact needs to be connected to each side of the rail, or to the DCC power bus from the CS3. The brown/black pair needs to be connected black to ground (on the S88, there are 2 - 1 by port 1 and 1 by port 16) and brown to the numbered terminal. The terminals in each S88 module are fixed, meaning the one numbered 1 needs to be configured in the CS3 as the proper module number (1 if only using 1 module) and then the correct port number its plugged into. This cant be changed. The name of the contact in the CS3 is irrelevant. In my example I use F for feedback, but I believe the default is K.

The Massoth digital contacts have no programming capabilities of their own. They are just static hall sensor devices with no decoder built-in.
The track power is connected at the far end of my layout. I will run a separate line from the power supply to the Massoth contacts. Fingers crossed!

Diesel2000

Registered
18 Feb 2020
Chicago
Best answers
Country flag
The track power is connected at the far end of my layout. I will run a separate line from the power supply to the Massoth contacts. Fingers crossed!
I would suggest connecting everything in a test environment - use the short ethernet cable that came with the S88 and connect the 60881 to CS3+, and then connect the track contact brown/black directly in the 60881 (without any wire extensions). Then connect the black/black track contact directly to the CS3 track output plug. Then try passing a magnet over the track contact. This will verify that all components are working as expected and you arent encountering some issue with your layout that we have no idea about.

pmindigo

Registered
25 Aug 2021
Scott’s Valley CA
Best answers
Country flag
Problem solved... maybe. As you recommended I connected everything on my test bench using the short Cat5 cable, and direct power from the CS3+ output. Discovered one bad contact, but 4 other separate contacts worked as advertised. I then replaced the short Cat5 cable with my 25 ft cable. The contacts detected the magnet and switched to yellow on the screen, but they did not reset after the magnet was removed. After using the touch screen to reset them, they no longer responded to the magnet. So it appears I need to use the short Cat5 cable, and run long wires across my layout to the contacts. Not optimal, but at least it works. Will let you now how that goes later this week. Will try using remote track power near the contacts as well. Thanks!

Diesel2000

Registered
18 Feb 2020
Chicago
Best answers
Country flag
Problem solved... maybe. As you recommended I connected everything on my test bench using the short Cat5 cable, and direct power from the CS3+ output. Discovered one bad contact, but 4 other separate contacts worked as advertised. I then replaced the short Cat5 cable with my 25 ft cable. The contacts detected the magnet and switched to yellow on the screen, but they did not reset after the magnet was removed. After using the touch screen to reset them, they no longer responded to the magnet. So it appears I need to use the short Cat5 cable, and run long wires across my layout to the contacts. Not optimal, but at least it works. Will let you now how that goes later this week. Will try using remote track power near the contacts as well. Thanks!
Glad it’s working now. I can attest that long wires from the track contacts are fine. I have over 50ft on many. A 10ft Ethernet cable works. You might need Cat6. At least you know where the issue is now.

pmindigo

Registered
25 Aug 2021
Scott’s Valley CA
Best answers
Country flag
Glad it’s working now. I can attest that long wires from the track contacts are fine. I have over 50ft on many. A 10ft Ethernet cable works. You might need Cat6. At least you know where the issue is now.
The sensors and S88 module are working , now I could use some pointers on how to use them in events. I’ve setup the macro shuttle, but after adding the start, stop, middle, and 4th sensor, there does not appear a way to start the event.
Also, if I want to use the sensors in regular events, how do I assign specific actions after they are triggered? I thought I would be able to use the sensors to setup a shuttle, but the train is running at a speed for a time period, how can I run a train at a speed until it trips a sensor?