CS3+ S88 Shuttle control

pmindigo

Registered
25 Aug 2021
Scott’s Valley CA
Best answers
Country flag
I’m looking for information on LGB G Scale track contacts that will work with the S88 system to detect train position for automating events like a shuttle operation.

Diesel2000

Registered
18 Feb 2020
Chicago
Best answers
Country flag
I’m looking for information on LGB G Scale track contacts that will work with the S88 system to detect train position for automating events like a shuttle operation.
I use Massoth Digital Track Contacts. They work great with the Marklin 60881 S88 feedback modules.

You could also use LGB 17100 reed contacts.

pmindigo

Registered
25 Aug 2021
Scott’s Valley CA
Best answers
Country flag
I use Massoth Digital Track Contacts. They work great with the Marklin 60881 S88 feedback modules.

You could also use LGB 17100 reed contacts.
I‘m using the Marklin CS3+. Can I use the 60883 instead of the 60881? The manual indicates that I would need the 60883 anyway to connect the 60881 to the S88 Buss (or to the CS3+).

Diesel2000

Registered
18 Feb 2020
Chicago
Best answers
Country flag
I‘m using the Marklin CS3+. Can I use the 60883 instead of the 60881? The manual indicates that I would need the 60883 anyway to connect the 60881 to the S88 Buss (or to the CS3+).

I’m using a CS3+ as well. You don’t need 60883. 60881 is plugged directly into the bottom Ethernet port and powers the 60881s directly.

pmindigo

Registered
25 Aug 2021
Scott’s Valley CA
Best answers
Country flag
I’m using a CS3+ as well. You don’t need 60883. 60881 is plugged directly into the bottom Ethernet port and powers the 60881s directly.
Final question, do I need the 60881 or the 60882? I’m planning on using the Massoth digital track contacts 8420602 as you recom and I Will add loco magnets to the under carriage of my engines. Obviously running DCC with the CS3+.

Diesel2000

Registered
18 Feb 2020
Chicago
Best answers
Country flag
Final question, do I need the 60881 or the 60882? I’m planning on using the Massoth digital track contacts 8420602 as you recom and I Will add loco magnets to the under carriage of my engines. Obviously running DCC with the CS3+.

60881 - works perfectly with CS3+ and Massoth digital track contacts.

pmindigo

Registered
25 Aug 2021
Scott’s Valley CA
Best answers
Country flag
I did connect the 60881 directly to the connection on the bottom of my CS3+ but the LinkS88 device is not appearing in my System/Settings menu. I tried the discover new mFx devices, no change. I also connected a reed switch.
i did connect the CS3+ with the cable to the connector on the top right side of the 60881. What am I missing?

Diesel2000

Registered
18 Feb 2020
Chicago
Best answers
Country flag
I did connect the 60881 directly to the connection on the bottom of my CS3+ but the LinkS88 device is not appearing in my System/Settings menu. I tried the discover new mFx devices, no change. I also connected a reed switch.
i did connect the CS3+ with the cable to the connector on the top right side of the 60881. What am I missing?
Don’t connect both the LinkS88 and the 60881 modules. You only connect the 60881s via Ethernet cable to the bottom port on the CS3+.
In settings the length S88-bus should be default 5. The “device” for the feedback modules then is GFP3-1, which is the CS3+ processor and NOT the LinkS88. Then you configure the contacts by stating S88 module number and contact number (which is the port on the module the contact is connected to).
There is a large CS3 manual that describes all this.

pmindigo

Registered
25 Aug 2021
Scott’s Valley CA
Best answers
Country flag
I only connected the 60881 to the CS3+. So is it under the TFP3 device in the System/Settings menu?

pmindigo

Registered
25 Aug 2021
Scott’s Valley CA
Best answers
Country flag
After deciphering the manuals and determining which connection on the 60881 to connect to the CS3+, and what color wire on the sensor goes to gnd, as well as the Controlling Contact setting in the menu it finally works. Thanks for your help!

LGB333

TRADER
15 Feb 2015
McLean Virginia
www.olddominionrailways.com
Best answers
Country flag
After deciphering the manuals and determining which connection on the 60881 to connect to the CS3+, and what color wire on the sensor goes to gnd, as well as the Controlling Contact setting in the menu it finally works. Thanks for your help!
Hi Phil - Glad to hear you're continuing to explore and utilize the higher-level capabilities of your CS3+ system.

pmindigo

Registered
25 Aug 2021
Scott’s Valley CA
Best answers
Country flag
The fun continues... while trying to use my larger iMac screen to develop events it appears that the control when accessed through the network does not support the Events edit control panel. Are there control programming limitations when using device (iMac) screens through the network?

LGB333

TRADER
15 Feb 2015
McLean Virginia
www.olddominionrailways.com
Best answers
Country flag
The fun continues... while trying to use my larger iMac screen to develop events it appears that the control when accessed through the network does not support the Events edit control panel. Are there control programming limitations when using device (iMac) screens through the network?
Phil - Someone else needs to reply to your question.......I have no expertise with the CS3/+ system. You could also contact Rick Sinclair who now works at Marklin USA as their full-time technical support. He can be reached at rick.sinclair@marklin.com or 573-635-1093.

Diesel2000

Registered
18 Feb 2020
Chicago
Best answers
Country flag
Thats correct, for some reason the web interface does not support Events. You need to use VNC for that. I operate using an iPad with RealVNC in order to control Events with the CS3+

pmindigo

Registered
25 Aug 2021
Scott’s Valley CA
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Phil - Glad to hear you're continuing to explore and utilize the higher-level capabilities of your CS3+ system.
Need a little more help. The 60881
Don’t connect both the LinkS88 and the 60881 modules. You only connect the 60881s via Ethernet cable to the bottom port on the CS3+.
In settings the length S88-bus should be default 5. The “device” for the feedback modules then is GFP3-1, which is the CS3+ processor and NOT the LinkS88. Then you configure the contacts by stating S88 module number and contact number (which is the port on the module the contact is connected to).
There is a large CS3 manual that describes all this.
I need a little more help. The 60881 is connected correctly to the cs3+, and I’ve connected the Massoth contacts which I assumed are reed switches that short when a magnet passes over them and then they reset. Is that correct? I’ve been able to get them to respond on the cs3 by changing to yellow when activated, but they stay in that state. Am I missing a configuration setting on the contacts? Do I use the contact or reed setting on the cs3?
Thanks.

Diesel2000

Registered
18 Feb 2020
Chicago
Best answers
Country flag
Need a little more help. The 60881

I need a little more help. The 60881 is connected correctly to the cs3+, and I’ve connected the Massoth contacts which I assumed are reed switches that short when a magnet passes over them and then they reset. Is that correct? I’ve been able to get them to respond on the cs3 by changing to yellow when activated, but they stay in that state. Am I missing a configuration setting on the contacts? Do I use the contact or reed setting on the cs3?
Thanks.
The Massoth digital contacts are hall sensors, similar idea to the reeds, but all electronic, so no parts to wear out. There is no programming possible or needed with them. A magnet triggers a signal, which stops when the magnet is out of range. The Massoth feedback modules are actually a lot more complicated to use than the Marklin S88 as there are different configuration options in the feedback module. There's nothing for the S88.

In the CS3+ you want to use 'Reed' as the article type for the track contacts. If you doubleclick on it in the CS3 it will go yellow, doubleclick again and it turns off. Physically you want to pass a magnet close over top the track contact to activate and once its out of range it will deactivate and return to grey color in the CS3+.

IMG_1070.jpeg

pmindigo

Registered
25 Aug 2021
Scott’s Valley CA
Best answers
Country flag
The Massoth digital contacts are hall sensors, similar idea to the reeds, but all electronic, so no parts to wear out. There is no programming possible or needed with them. A magnet triggers a signal, which stops when the magnet is out of range. The Massoth feedback modules are actually a lot more complicated to use than the Marklin S88 as there are different configuration options in the feedback module. There's nothing for the S88.

In the CS3+ you want to use 'Reed' as the article type for the track contacts. If you doubleclick on it in the CS3 it will go yellow, doubleclick again and it turns off. Physically you want to pass a magnet close over top the track contact to activate and once its out of range it will deactivate and return to grey color in the CS3+.

View attachment 321463
Still not working correctly. The digital contacts are powered by track power from the CS3+. Do they need a DC power source?

Attachments

• IMG_1687.jpeg
    IMG_1687.jpeg
    337.6 KB · Views: 0

Diesel2000

Registered
18 Feb 2020
Chicago
Best answers
Country flag
Still not working correctly. The digital contacts are powered by track power from the CS3+. Do they need a DC power source?
No the manual specifically states to connect them to track power, which is DCC (or AC). You connect the black/black wires to the track power. They don’t work with DC

Have you observed properly polarity for the brown/black signal wire to the S88? Brown - positive goes to the numbered terminals, black goes to ground on either end of the S88.

Post a pick of your set up screen like I did.

pmindigo

Registered
25 Aug 2021
Scott’s Valley CA
Best answers
Country flag
No the manual specifically states to connect them to track power, which is DCC (or AC). You connect the black/black wires to the track power. They don’t work with DC

Have you observed properly polarity for the brown/black signal wire to the S88? Brown - positive goes to the numbered terminals, black goes to ground on either end of the S88.

Post a pick of your set up screen like I did.
I posted a pick of my the setup screen. All wiring is correct. Running two 5 amp Marklin boosters with the layout isolated in two sections to power the layout. The 60881 and the cs3 setup works. When I short pin 1 to gnd the sensor on the screen turns yellow, and back to black when the short is removed.

Attachments

• IMG_1687.jpeg
    IMG_1687.jpeg
    337.6 KB · Views: 0

pmindigo

Registered
25 Aug 2021
Scott’s Valley CA
Best answers
Country flag
Any limitation on the length of the cat5e cable from the CS3+ to the 60881? I'm clutching at straws now... Tried different ports on the controller. Running out of options.