justme igor

Registered
17 Apr 2020
Netherlands Westwoud
Country
Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
Coal has too much sulphur in it for forgework.
Now charcoal and pure sulfer mixed with one other ingredient makes black powder, it is all about energy that is going to be released.
One is quicker than the other but the total amount of energy is the same, even wood can be explosive, aka a very fast burning (rocket fuel) medium.
Sugar wont burn, but mixed with ***** it can be explosive.

I dont remember much anymore about my chemistry lessons but every year i have a great old years evening..

You want controlled heat and heat is mass, how much do you want and how quick do you want it?
You can even melt cast iron with coal, add something or put more oxygen in it.

For forge work you can add a blower under the glowing coal or you can blow on top of the coal, this will give you a ~400C difference?
Melting metals is fun to do it the old fashion way, but consider time, some metals need to soke up the mass of the heat.
Yes i like to cast with ordinary wood, up to melting white glass(~2200C)

Or you where referring to the sulfer getting into the iron? this i do not know much about, sorry, if you can help to extend my knowledge please share.
There was some interaction i can remember but what?

Thanks in advance with best regards Igor.

Northsider

Modelling the Northern half of the Isle of Man
3 May 2012
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
Or you where referring to the sulfer getting into the iron? this i do not know much about, sorry, if you can help to extend my knowledge please share.
Coke is coal that has been burnt without oxygen: the process drives off the impurities, including the sulphur. If I remember correctly, heating steel (or iron) using coal introduces sulphur into the metal, which makes it brittle. To avoid this, blacksmiths use a coke fire, with an air draught blown through it to give the necessary heat.

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
I don't know the answer to that, but I do like the story that they are derived from Chedworth Buns: Fossils used to weigh butter

And, pedant that I am, Igor's coal will be coke, I think: coal has too much sulphur in it for forgework.
The coke for the hearth is called breeze (small pieces). Have used it forging ironwork in the past.

Northsider

Modelling the Northern half of the Isle of Man
3 May 2012
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
The coke for the hearth is called breeze (small pieces). Have used it forging ironwork in the past.
That rings a bell. Forty years ago I nearly became a blacksmith's apprentice; then life took a different turn...

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Why do we always say 11 stone, when it should be 11 stones?
Because we just do, you probably just need to get over it.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
The 'colour' of language..
SW says "somethink" (instead of "something") which grates. - I used to correct her, but learnt the error of my ways.. Now I can hear it, and almost, not even Twitch. :wasntme:
On another Forum, a contributor always uses "has" (instead of "as") I assume that he does this when speaking, as well?

I am sure (it has been mentioned) that my use of single-quotes, grates with some?
The new glasses help, but I can see the apostrophe, but many of the other symbols, are not so easy on the Smartie-Phone 'keyboard'. :D

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Why do we always say 11 stone, when it should be 11 stones?
We, (the general UK population) do this, (miss the plural "s" from the end of the unit) for a lot of measurements, though not as mush for grams. It was not until you mentioned it that I even thought about it, how often is somebody six foot tall, as opposed to six feet tall, but at 6ft or 6' nobody would notice until the spoken word.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
In Ireland they say, for example, "100 Euro", where in the UK use of "100 Euros" is more common.
Yes I first heard that used on Mrs Browns Boys and found it odd but understandable.

justme igor

Registered
17 Apr 2020
Netherlands Westwoud
Country
Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
Before throwing money at it, languages tend to changes every 25 years, some quicker some slower.
If you will read a book from 150 years ago in your own native language, you are able to read it, a book of 400 years ago it is almost a different language(dialect).

Even in Dutch, aldo it is one of the oldest but still spoken languages of today, books from 1600 i have some trouble to read them.
Letters or memos's or even a bible from 1100, it is a complete different language.
I am still referring to my dutch language(not Latin).

English in general: changed more in 150 years(heck not even 90 years back) more than what ever other language.
*I dont think i am wrong, but feel free to educate me.
Take in account that bloke that could not read his compass aswel, Christopher or something, so take into account the evolution and mix with other languages.
And dont forget the dialect. of your own surrounding countries.

And here i am, still learning UK English and US of A English and Australian and NZ, do i forget one?(incl technical)

With best regards Igor

Southwestforests

Registered
2 Nov 2021
Missouri
Best answers
Country flag
Before throwing money at it, languages tend to changes every 25 years, some quicker some slower.
If you will read a book from ...
... from within the last six or seven years, read "Words on the Move. Why English wont - and can't - sit still (Like Literally)" by linguist John McWhorter.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Apparently, in the 1600s English English was spoken very much the same way as American English is spoken today.

Southwestforests

Registered
2 Nov 2021
Missouri
Best answers
Country flag
Apparently, in the 1600s English
Oh, while we're talking coal, books, England, and the 1600s, I'd like to recommend,
The Domestic Revolution: How the Introduction of Coal into Victorian Homes Changed Everything
by Ruth Goodman | Nov 16, 2021

I have the book and have read it, and yes, the introduction of coal to daily regular household use really did change everything,
from Amazon's page for the book,
Ruth Goodman shows that the hot coal stove provided so much more than morning tea. As Goodman traces the amazing shift from wood to coal in mid-sixteenth century England, a pattern of innovation emerges as the women stoking these fires also stoked new global industries: from better soap to clean smudges to new ingredients for cooking.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I thought rivet-counters were bad....

Over fifty posts on crushing coal!
:D:D:D:D:D

Some good info, though..
:nerd::nod:

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
I did a bit of quick research over which language has changed the most over xxx years, and English was NEVER the answer.

Besides Turkish (which I understand from my ancestry), the most common languages were the ones "infiltrated" with English words.

So, happy to see links with other opinions... but I did not see English as an answer... and I have read American english from writings that date from America began...

Greg

Last edited:

Southwestforests

Registered
2 Nov 2021
Missouri
Best answers
Country flag
Dunno how or why that connects to this & my brain grabs it and goes where it goes, but ...

... I can hear the DJ ...

"And now we bring you Crushing Coal's hot new single, Counting Rivets!"

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Or you where referring to the sulfer getting into the iron?
'And now for something (almost) completely different' - You don't want sulfur in your steel. It forms FeS which melts at lower temperature than the austenite transition temperature. When the steel cools from welding or hot forging the FeS wets and smears along the grain boundaries causing what is known as hot shortness.

Reactions: 1 user

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
I did a bit of quick research over which language has changed the most over xxx years, and English was NEVER the answer.

Besides Turkish (which I understand from my ancestry), the most common languages were the ones "infiltrated" with English words.

So, happy to see links with other opinions... but I did not see English as an answer... and I have read American english from writings that date from America began...

Greg

The French language had a major influence on the English language and, in part, is still in use in Parliament. The Royal Coat of Arms carries a French motto (Dieu Et Mon Droit).

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag

Over fifty posts on crushing coal!
:D:D:D:D:D

Some good info, though..
:nerd::nod:
Someone's been reading the sort of books that are banned from the school curriculum.